ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HO email: 'No DCPR for EEA nationals married to BCs'

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Federal

HO email: 'No DCPR for EEA nationals married to BCs'

Post by Federal » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:13 pm

Hey folks,

We all know that the UKVI helpline cannot be relied on, but would you have any previous experience on the level of advice passed on by the Further Nationality Enquiries email account ?

I emailed them about a case of being in receipt of a DCPR (as an EEA national married to a BC) which has my first and middle names misspelt and inquired as to the possibility of the error being rectified as part of my forthcoming citizenship application (which I’m obviously delaying until I resolve the DCPR mislabelling). A solicitor said that if I applied using the DCPR I have now, the mistake would have been amended by the caseworker handling my naturalisation application, when they would check my passport and all supporting documentation (which obviously has my correct name). I asked the Home Office if they felt that this was sound advice.

Here is the response I received today.

Thank you for your email correspondence of 16 June regarding Residency requirement.

You are not required to satisfy this condition if you are married to a British Citizen. All that is required of you, is evidence that you have been married to your British Spouse and resident in the UK for the last three years.

I hope this information is helpful.

Yours sincerely

AO8 Central Correspondence team
Customer Service Operations
UK Visas and Immigration
www.gov.uk/ukvi
Now the only logical response after receiving such an email is to question either my sanity, that of UKVI’s, or both.

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. I am aware of the kerfuffle in regards to the July update of the AN application and its immediate recall. I have no clue if this is related to the email above.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Re: HO email: 'No DCPR for EEA nationals married to BCs'

Post by Richard W » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Federal wrote:Now the only logical response after receiving such an email is to question either my sanity, that of UKVI’s, or both.
Maybe the correspondence team member got very confused and thought you were Irish :-)

Federal

Post by Federal » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:40 pm

Good thought, but I state my nationality (Greek) on the first sentence of my email to them, along with the fact that I'm married to a BC. Unlikely that it was missed off...

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:54 pm

So, you sent them an email about amending the DCPR and you got a reply about the 5/3 year residency requirement. Is that correct?

If so, it seems to be a human error at their end. Resend your original email again and request for the correct response.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Federal

Post by Federal » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:18 pm

My email was a bit more wide-ranging than that, but in a nutshell, I specified that I have a DCPR and wondered whether I should proceed with my AN application regardless of the naming discrepancy.

So in essence, their response indicates that I shouldn't worry about the DCPR as according to them, it's not required so it doesn't matter what name is on there. Which, we all know is... incorrect.

olgachilds
BANNED

Post by olgachilds » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:52 pm

Federal wrote:My email was a bit more wide-ranging than that, but in a nutshell, I specified that I have a DCPR and wondered whether I should proceed with my AN application regardless of the naming discrepancy.

So in essence, their response indicates that I shouldn't worry about the DCPR as according to them, it's not required so it doesn't matter what name is on there. Which, we all know is... incorrect.

I am with your solicitor on this one mate, apply for naturalisation using the correct details, enclose covering letter, and they will obviously amend it. There is absolutely no point in attempting to amend DCPR, especiallly since this basically entails re-applying for it, and right now there is an enormous surge, and applications filed 22 June are only now being registered and assigned case numbers. You will wait forever over nothing.

Federal

Post by Federal » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:13 pm

It might come down to that... but what do you make of the response from the HO? By their reckoning, a DCPR is not required. That's a pretty big mistake to make, don't you think?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:20 pm

Federal wrote:It might come down to that... but what do you make of the response from the HO? By their reckoning, a DCPR is not required. That's a pretty big mistake to make, don't you think?
Par for the course from helpline. No surprises there.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.