ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

French consulate keep passport when applying for Schegnan?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bambi1983
Newly Registered

French consulate keep passport when applying for Schegnan?

Post by bambi1983 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm

I am a british national, my spouse is a Colombian national with LLR until 2009. According to the french consulate website, the schegnan visa application takes minimum of 4 weeks for a Colombian national. Does anyone know if they require possesion of our passports for the whole duration of the application process i.e 4 weeks?

We both plan to travel to south america soon after our initial appointment at the french consualte therefore need our passports!

Any help much appreciated!! :)

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:24 pm

Yes, they keep the passport until the visa is ready for collection.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:52 pm

You may well be able to keep your passport while the passport application is being processed. I know this is possible at the Irish embassy and German embassy.

You should make photocopies of all pages of each passport before your appointment. Should them the original passports and indicate that you need to retain the passport while the application is being processed because you will be travelling. Offer them to photocopies in the mean time.

I suspect it will not be a problem. If the visa officer refuses to do this, ask to speak to a supervisor.

scotboy82
Newly Registered

Post by scotboy82 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:50 am

The French will not keep your passport when processing your visa.

This quote is taken from French consulate website
https://www.consulfrance-londres.org/sp ... article324

Be advised that the procedure will take a few hours and that if you decide not to wait and leave the premises, you will need to book a new appointment via the automated telephone service or via internet to complete your application. THE FRENCH CONSULATE WILL NOT KEEP YOUR PASSPORT.

Just remember to take photocopies of all required documents as the French will refuse your application if you dont have all necessary documents and photocopies

maibesa
Newly Registered

Post by maibesa » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:36 am

Yes, they don't keep your passport. I'm a Zimbabwean national and also have to wait 4 weeks for my visa. I submitted my application on the 17th of Jan and will now have to wait for a second interview.