ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

visiting UK with HSMP VISA before deciding to live there!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

prossy
Newly Registered

visiting UK with HSMP VISA before deciding to live there!

Post by prossy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:39 am

Hi ,

I have already got my EC and plan to make a small trip to UK with my wife.

First time when i visit the UK and enter the country with HSMP visa, what do i have to do?

do i have to stay there for a while?

it says also on the visa that i have to apply to Police station within 7 days of arrival.

I am currently working in Belgium and dont want to resign before finding a good position in UK. However, I also want to visit UK and possibly to arrange some interviews in person.

what do you suggest?
do you have any experience visiting uk without actually starting living there under HSMP?

Regards

gotcha
Member of Standing

Re: visiting UK with HSMP VISA before deciding to live there

Post by gotcha » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:42 am

prossy wrote:Hi ,
do i have to stay there for a while?
Not necessary.
prossy wrote: it says also on the visa that i have to apply to Police station within 7 days of arrival.
No, I've not done that. Which visa you are holding. It nowhere said(written) on visa.
I am currently working in Belgium and dont want to resign before finding a good position in UK. However, I also want to visit UK and possibly to arrange some interviews in person.

what do you suggest?
do you have any experience visiting uk without actually starting living there under HSMP?
I'd done similar thing. I came here, attended some interviews, got an offer, went back, resigned and again came here to join.

diamella
Newly Registered

Post by diamella » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:36 pm

Of couse you can visit the UK before you decide to settle down.

But you still need to register within 7 days upon arrival no matter you are coming for a visit or a long term plan.

That's what I did :lol:

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:42 pm

diamella wrote:Of couse you can visit the UK before you decide to settle down.

But you still need to register within 7 days upon arrival no matter you are coming for a visit or a long term plan.

That's what I did :lol:
Whats registration you are talking about ? Can you redirect me to some link ? Because, I've not done any registration yet.

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:41 pm

Only certain nationalities have the mandatory requirement of registering with the police:

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... e_uk_.html

The rest can, but it's not mandatory.

If it's mandatory for you to register with the police, the HO will have stamped this requirement in your passport.
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:48 pm

EdgeHillMole wrote:Only certain nationalities have the mandatory requirement of registering with the police:

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... e_uk_.html

The rest can, but it's not mandatory.

If it's mandatory for you to register with the police, the HO will have stamped this requirement in your passport.
Here is the list of countries, it is needed http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/policy ... appendix2/

prossy
Newly Registered

Post by prossy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:22 pm

the exact statement on my and my wife's hsmp visa is that:

police registration within 7 days of arrival.

one more question:
when you visit the UK for the first time and make this registration, how long can you be out of UK afterwards?

i have heard that you cannot be outside of the uk more than 3 months. what is the exact rule for that?

any experience?

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:03 am

You can't be outside of the UK for more than 90 days at a time without it impacting your ability to get ILR. There is a lot of discussion on here in different posts for people that have been outside the UK for various periods, with varying results.

In order to register for your police certificate, you will need to say where you are staying. If you're only here for a short time, you can always say your hotel, etc. Basically, once you find a flat you'll need to go back and tell them so they can update your certificate again. You also need to notify them of your employer, and if your employment situation changes. My partner is subject to this requirement. It's quite strict in that you basically inform them of any changes in work or residence as soon as they occur. You also need to present the certificate when you apply for certain things.. For example, it is needed when you apply for renewal of HSMP, I think it was also required for the NHS card.

Good luck!

fshaker
Newly Registered

Police registration - easy process? (urgent please)

Post by fshaker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:01 pm

Hi,

Can anyone advise about how long the police registration process takes?

Also where can this be done? At any police station across the country?

And do I need any other documents besides my passport with EC stamp?

I am following the same approach as above: already have EC approval for my HSMP and now flying to UK for an interview. I m thinking an extra day to register with police would be more than enough.

Really appreciate urgent feedback as I m flying in next week!!

It was a bit of short notice :)

Many thanks!

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:13 pm

I'm not sure how the rest of the country works, but in London you can just walk into the registration center for the Metropolitan office, we used the one by Tower bridge, and just register..

You'll probably have to wait an hour or so.. It's a first come/first served process.. You pick a number when you arrive and wait for your number to be called. I think there is a small fee for it also, if I recall correctly.. They will give you the paper right away, once you're through the process..

You should be able to find out more specifics on the home office website, or you can probably just google it..

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

address to register

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:05 pm

For London:

Overseas Visitors Records Office
020 7230 1208

The Overseas Visitors Records Office, Brandon House, 180 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1LH.

For Others:
Local PS
Third World Traveller

fshaker
Newly Registered

Police registration - easy process? (urgent please)

Post by fshaker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Many thanks! This is very useful:)

What if I m staying for just a week or less for the interview and return date to UK again not yet determined (I understand within 3 months though)... would I still have to register?

I have been reading the "IMMIGRATION DIRECTORATES' INSTRUCTIONS" on HO site regarding Police Registeration dated Feb 2006 and it states:

"the requirement should be imposed on all relevant foreign nationals given
limited leave whose stay will exceed 6 months unless they are family members
of an EEA national or are otherwise exempt from registration as listed in
paragraph 3 below;"

Do I understand this correctly?? less than 6 month stay doenst need to register?

Appreciate your feedback/advice.

Thanks again guys!

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:24 pm

Yes, less than 6 months permitted stay doesn't require registration.. But you will be given permission to stay for up to 2 years if it's your first EC for HSMP, so that means that you must register within 7 days...

Also, if you technically are not moving to the UK during your first visit, and you're using it as a visit visa, you are technically misusing your visa. So even though your 7 day stay wouldn't require registration, it could cause suspicion.

It's not a big deal to register, I would definitely do it while you're here so it doesn't cause problems for you later on.

Good luck.

fshaker
Newly Registered

Post by fshaker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:34 pm

OK..Many thanks.. I will register then.
Appreciate all your fast responses :)