ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign divorce decree

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

anush23

Foreign divorce decree

Post by anush23 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:33 pm

Can anyone please point to any UKBA guidance on foreign divorce decree.

My spouse has a decree which is not in English and we plan to get married and apply for spouse visa. I am planning to get it translated from an official translator and with a letter certifying its an accurate translation. Should that be fine?

Anything else that I should consider

Thanks in advance

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign divorce decree

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:39 pm

The UKBA was disbanded in March 2013 due to being unfit for purpose and superseded by the UKVI in April 2013. Any links to the UKBA will be out of date.
If the divorce is legal in the country where it was issued then it will be legal under British law. Ensure you have the divorce certificate professionally translated.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

anush23

Re: Foreign divorce decree

Post by anush23 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:45 pm

Thank you.

The entire decree is not in English and accompanies a court order again not in English.

I am getting it translated by a translation company and asking them to provide a letter that it is an genuine translation.

Anything else I should request? Like are there UKVI recommended/ suggested translation agencies or I can use anyone?