ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship and refugee status

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

imnewhere

British citizenship and refugee status

Post by imnewhere » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:02 am

I know this might be a silly question but are there any implications on going back to country of origin after attaining citizenship through refugee route?
Or once have a british passport, it doesnt matter anymore? There would be no implications coming back into the UK?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British citizenship and refugee status

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:16 am

Yes, it might bring into question your previous claim for asylum/refugee status.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... 09182.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:19 am

imnewhere wrote:I know this might be a silly question but are there any implications on going back to country of origin after attaining citizenship through refugee route?
Or once have a british passport, it doesnt matter anymore? There would be no implications coming back into the UK?

Thanks
If you country of origin is still in the same situation from when you applied for asylum then yes, you would likely be stripped of BC and probably ILR based on a fraudulent refugee claim.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:19 am

It depends on the circumstances.
https://www.freemovement.org.uk/refusal ... t-conduct/
and
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t_2015.pdf
"False details given in relation to an asylum claim or
application for leave to remain which led to leave being given
to an individual who would otherwise not have qualified, and
would have therefore affected that person’s ability to meet the
residence and/or good character requirements for
naturalisation or registration"

An example:
Mr C, an Afghan national, claimed asylum in 2000 and was granted refugee
status and ILR in 2001. He applied for naturalisation under section 6(1) and
was granted in 2006. It has now been established that whilst Mr C claimed
asylum in his true identity he gave false information in support of his
application which, had we known it, would have meant that he did not qualify
under the 1951 Convention
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

imnewhere

Post by imnewhere » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks guys
also the letter granting citizenship confirmed that i lost refugee status upon becoming british citizen

i hadnt obtain refugee status by deception

my understanding is you are free to go anywhere with a british passport.

it doesnt carry a remark such as not allowed to travel to a certain country..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:18 am

You seem to misunderstand. You claimed asylum based on situation in Home Country, which HO recognised and offered you protection. You then got ILR and BC. HO can still question the basis of your previous claim of 'unsafe in home country', if you now travel there because you have BC, and it does raise an issue of whether your claim for refugee status was legitimate and that protection was in fact not required.

Suggest read the links within the topic I have provided.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

imnewhere

Post by imnewhere » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:19 am

thanks for your help.
i will review those links.

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:16 am

I have lots of friends in this situation. Once you become a BC, you are free to travel as you see fit. As long as you have not used deception in your previous application for refugee status, ILR or BC, you should be fine.

If you grow up in a certain country, you are bound to have connections to that country. You are not expected to never again travel to that home country.

Also, there is a lot of generalisation here. There are many types of refugees. Some people get protection from their home country due to the general security situation. Others get it for their personal circumstances e.g. runaway brides, honour killings, "infidels" etc. So you may get protection from the whole country or you may only get protection from the people trying to endanger your life e.g. so-called family in the case of honour killings.

Anyway, I would be surprised if anyone has been stripped of BC based on travelling back to "home countries". As long as you have not used deception or are a danger to the UK, you should be fine. All the best.

imnewhere

Post by imnewhere » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:52 am

i agree with you, i had a chat with the refugee council and they told me it should be fine once you have become british.

I also encountered a few people who have gone back to their home countries a few times as well.

I think the members here are just super cautious which is good but i dont think there would be an issue as i clearly ceased to be a refugee once british.

ultimately, one is not to forget ever going back to country of origin indefinitely.