ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bank account

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ruslan
Newly Registered

Bank account

Post by ruslan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:18 am

I read on this forum that there could be some difficulties in opening a bank account. I go to UK under HSMP. I’m wondering, why you need a bank account. Is not the employer who will open a bank account? In my country, the employer is the person who opens a bank account. As I understand, in UK, when you find a job you need to supply your bank account to your employer. The employer doesn’t open a bank account for you, is that right?

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Bank account

Post by Wanderer » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:23 am

ruslan wrote:I read on this forum that there could be some difficulties in opening a bank account. I go to UK under HSMP. I’m wondering, why you need a bank account. Is not the employer who will open a bank account? In my country, the employer is the person who opens a bank account. As I understand, in UK, when you find a job you need to supply your bank account to your employer. The employer doesn’t open a bank account for you, is that right?

Thanks
That's right.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:30 am

You have to open your own bank account. The employer won't do it. It is difficult to get a job or rent a property without a bank account.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:49 am

Your bank account and opening it is indeed your issue.

It's very difficult to live in the UK as an adult without one.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:27 am

ruslan wrote:I read on this forum that there could be some difficulties in opening a bank account. I go to UK under HSMP. I’m wondering, why you need a bank account. Is not the employer who will open a bank account? In my country, the employer is the person who opens a bank account. As I understand, in UK, when you find a job you need to supply your bank account to your employer. The employer doesn’t open a bank account for you, is that right?

Thanks
What country is that? How can an employer open a bank account for YOU? That's crazy.

Anyway, in the UK people don't like other people opening bank accounts on their behalf, that's usually defined as fraud over here!
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

ruslan
Newly Registered

Post by ruslan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:58 am

Thanks to all for the answers.

Dawie, that country is Republic of Moldova. Perhaps it’s hard to believe, but it is a European country. It is not mandatory in Moldova to have a bank account. Actually, a lot of people don’t have any. The cache moneys are used for shopping, paying bills, etc.
Usually, when you start working for a company, the employer opens for you a bank account. Actually, it is a card account where your salary is paid. If you change your employer, the new employer opens a new bank account for you :)

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:19 pm

It's not mandatory in the UK to have abank account either!

Lots of banks have introduced account for new immigrants - Lloyds, HSBC, Barclays to name a few. It shouldn't be that hard.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:27 pm

In UK, your first bank account opening is considered to be high barrier to jump due to various money laundering and fraud prevention checks, measures in place.

It would be easy if:

a) You have an employment and employers letter of authorisation and request, preferably addressed to their own bank where their accounts are held. Or,

b) For a student, taking part time employment letter approved via their university/department admin desk.

tinux

Post by tinux » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:27 pm

Anyone can open a basic account including bankrupts. however it helps if one has 2 proves of addresses

zee_aziz
- thin ice -

Post by zee_aziz » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:44 pm

Thanks
Nowadays a prepaid Debit Card is available from any papershop(news agent) worth 10 pounds...You could use this account number as it is widely acceptable by employers and retailers...otherwise why not apply to get a Provisional Driving Licence from DVLA and once u got this...u could have a Bank A/c in Halifax.
Give someone else Bank a/c to ur employer and in the mean time Also ask ur employer to give u a letter for opening a Bank a/c with ur current Uk address, Full name and DOB on. IN OTHER BANK....u have to pretend as if that OTHER bank is not allowing u to have an a/c until u get a said letter.
good luk

amzad
Newly Registered

Post by amzad » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:56 am

this has been said in other threads, but hsbc will open an account for anyone as long as they have proof of address from their home country. so if youre from moldova, you can show them a moldovan utility bill, or bank statement. they will charge you 6 quid a month for the account. your other alternative is, as someone said before, a prepaid debit card. heres a link that can guide you. http://www.moneysupermarket.com/cards/p ... guide1.asp