ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting a Romanian passport by ancestry

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

keener
Newly Registered

Getting a Romanian passport by ancestry

Post by keener » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:46 am

Hi

I'm interested in getting a Romanian passport as a means to future EU entry. My grandmother was Romanian. Has anyone had any success getting a passport this way?

thanks

darko

Post by darko » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:51 pm

My wife is Moldovan (which used to be part of Romania and now independent country). Her parents' brothers and sisters still live in Romania and are Romanians. I was wondering whether someone knows of a site where I can read more on getting a passport (via bloodline) and whether it is possible to get it even.

Thanks,
Darko

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:08 pm

A very quick search on Google has thrown up the Romanian embassy in Denmark! Although it is from Denmark I suspect that the information it gives is correct for anywhere. Read :-

Consular Services

-: in particular no. 2 headed "Romanian Citizenship".

Does that help?

kayac00
Newly Registered

Post by kayac00 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:33 pm

Hi

My husband is Romanian ( im Irish) i asked him did he know anything about getting a passport through ancestors. Unfortunately he is not aware of the rules but he says probbaly like everything else in Romania it will be along slow process :) Here is a link to the romanian embassy in London www.roemb.co.uk/ You can email the consular section or telephone just be warned that they dont reply very quickly to emails :) There is hardly any information regarding Romania and passports on the net and if there is the information is usally out of date or current so i would imagine actually getting in touch with the embassy is your best option. I really do not know how beneficial a romanian passport is . It does look like Romania will join the EU but alot of the western europe and America look down on romanian passports thanks to some over publicised romanian gypsies. We know from experience how slow the process is in ROmania for getting paperwork and formalities resolved but maybe know with the new goverment things may start to change and you will suceed in getting your passports. Sorry i couldnt be more helpful

darko

Post by darko » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:08 am

Thank you for your input. My wife and I live in the US and aren't concerned about the process being slow. We would just wanna move to Europe one day (UK to be precise). We are wondering whether it is possible at all for her to get the passport through the ancestors.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:34 am

darko, have you now contacted a Romanian embassy and asked them? The obvious one to use would be the Romanian embassy in the USA.

But don't be surprised if their answer is ... sorry, no such right to a Romanian passport exists. Hope I am wrong.

darko

Post by darko » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:06 pm

I guess we will. Nah, we won't be surprised:). I don't really think it will work. Just wanted to try it out. But getting passport via bloodline exists for sure (My wife knows many Moldovans who get the passport that way).