ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Isia
Newly Registered

Naturalisation questions

Post by Isia » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:06 pm

Hello All

Congrats to everyone who successfully obtained Permanent Residency Certificate/ Card!

After continuously living in the UK for nearly 10 years I've decided to apply for a British Citizenship. To do that I need a Permanent Residency Certificate, so here I am :) I have a few questions and I hope that someone can help.
Apologies if some of these questions have already been answered. I haven't had a chance to read all previous posts yet.

I'd like to apply for a British Citizenship straightaway meaning I need to complete the application for 6 years and I'd need to hold a PR for 12 months. Has anyone been in this situation? Do I need to submit a special request to backdate the validity date?

I have just left my job and I'm considering my options. Would that affect my application?
As I've already been qualified for a few years, do I need provide evidence for my current situation?
Would I need to state I'm self sufficient and obtain a full medical insurance in the meantime?
I might go the self employment route and I will need to leave the UK for a few weeks to do a business research which means I will not be able to obtain a Jobseeker status.

Can I just send my national identity card or do I also need to send my passport? I need one document to travel.

How did you spread the documents demonstrating your activity during the qualifying period?

Are all documents sent back at the end or does HO keep certain documents?

Has anyone here received support from HO with completing the application?

Many thanks for your help.

Bumble

Re: Application for PR or PR card: form EEA (PR) - UpToDate

Post by Bumble » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:28 pm

Isia wrote: I'd like to apply for a British Citizenship straightaway meaning I need to complete the application for 6 years and I'd need to hold a PR for 12 months. Has anyone been in this situation? Do I need to submit a special request to backdate the validity date?
My PR date counted from April 2001, so they will backdate as long as you provide at least 6 years consequetive proofs or the 5 year period ends at least 1 year prior to now you should have enough
Isia wrote:I have just left my job and I'm considering my options. Would that affect my application?
If you have exercised your rights for at least 5 consequetive years you should be ok
Isia wrote: Can I just send my national identity card or do I also need to send my passport? I need one document to travel.
I would think you send your passport and keep your ID to travel as others have done
Isia wrote: How did you spread the documents demonstrating your activity during the qualifying period?
included every P60 and then a few proof of address etc for each year I covered
Isia wrote: Are all documents sent back at the end or does HO keep certain documents?
for PR app they should send all back, for BN they will retain language test proof and LITUK test proof (and possibly something else)
Isia wrote: Has anyone here received support from HO with completing the application?
unless you get contacted directly by your caseworker to provide additional information probably roughly zero chance of that ;)
EU(14) DCPR Timeline
Docs sent: 08/04/2016
Docs received: 11/04/2016
Payment taken: 14/04/2016
Confirmation email: N/A
Passport requested: 14/07/2016
HO requested info: 15/07/2016
DCPR dated: 18/07/2016
DCPR received: 30/07/2016
Total time: 113 days

noajthan

Re: Naturalisation questions

Post by noajthan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:56 pm

You had rather bizarrely posted in a PR 'timeline' thread.

To avoid confusion & jumbled responses, I have moved your question to its own thread (this one) in the most appropriate forum (this one).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Isia
Newly Registered

Post by Isia » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:29 pm

noajthan wrote:You had rather bizarrely posted in a PR 'timeline' thread.

To avoid confusion & jumbled responses, I have moved your question to its own thread (this one) in the most appropriate forum (this one).
Thank you noajthan. Apologies for creating a mess. :oops:

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:18 am

If you have a solid, continuous 5 year period of exercising treaty rights which ended at least 12 months ago, you'll be fine.

PR status is automatically acquired with no applications or documentation required (although a DCPR is now mandatory for naturalisation).

Example: if you worked continuously from 2006 onwards, you will have acquired PR in 2011.

Simply provide evidence of your chosen 5 year period (as well as evidence to show you have still been resident in the UK since the end of that period). HO caseworker will figure it out.

Interestingly I applied for my DCPR in December 2015, using a period of work from 2009-2014. Caseworker realised I had been working from 2007 onwards and correctly recorded my PR date as June 2012.

As soon as I received the DCPR, I applied for naturalisation (no silly 12 month wait needed as I had been free of immigration time restrictions for over 3 years) and it was successful.

Isia
Newly Registered

Post by Isia » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Thank you Bumble and ohara. I really appreciate your support.

Ohara, you mentioned a chosen period. Does it mean I can provide evidence for 5 years from 2006?
Would I need to provide evidence for my current situation as well?

My main concern is the fact I left work a few weeks ago and I'm curremtly in cross roads considering what's next. Does this mean I should purchase a full medical insurance before I apply for EEA PR. If yes, where do I look to find a real thing? There are plenty of websites which look like they're only trying to get your details...

Could someone, please, help me to answer the remaining questions? Note, these relate to the EEA PR form.