ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is this really a tax issue for ILR ?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sherry19
Newly Registered

Is this really a tax issue for ILR ?

Post by sherry19 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:45 pm

Dear All,
Thank you for providing such a good and helpful forum.

I am a T1G applicant and have now already applied for ILR. All my tax affairs are in order but I need clarification on a small bit. When I applied for my extension, I had an income of 39K out of which around 9K was from self-employment. Later in the financial year, I incurred an expense of £800 because of not finding enough self-employment work. Therefore, the total income/profit for the year in HMRC record says 38,200 instead of 39,000. This is a real expense and hence doesn’t require any amendments. The gross income declared is still more than what was declared to HO. Please note that I claimed points for income band 35k to 40K so though I had this extra expense, I still had enough income in the year to qualify for the extension. Do you think this could be an issue for my ILR though even with the said expense, I was still above the income threshold of 35K?

I have heard that sometime they accuse people of dishonestly etc. but how could this be classed as dishonesty because even with this expense, I already met the threshold so clearly I didn’t show any fake earnings to qualify for extension. Is there anyone who had similar issues etc.?

Thanks for your help.

shiv_singh
Newly Registered

Re: Is this really a tax issue for ILR ?

Post by shiv_singh » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi... this would totally depend on the circumstances of your case. If this expense was incurred after the end of the 12 month period but before the end of the financial year then there should not be an issue. for example your 12 month period ended in Feb and this expense was incurred in March hence the filed income with HMRC would be slightly different.

If however this expense was later adjusted within the 12 month period then it has to be proved that it was a genuine charge stating the reason why it had been omitted at the time of the visa application. It could also be shown that that this reduction would not have any significant impact on the visa scoring