ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Answers to Belgian Permanent Immigration Questions

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gulgon

Answers to Belgian Permanent Immigration Questions

Post by gulgon » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:16 pm

I have noticed that many people ask about how to settle in Belgium via marriage. Please read:

If you marry or already married to a Belgian or any EU (but not new EU members yet) citizen, go to the Commune where your wife is registered and ask for permission to stay. So, they will give you firstly a 5 months residence card; after 5 months you apply for a 5 YEARS residence card which is like permanent residence indeed. At the end of 3. year apply for Belgian citizenship. I also remember that if you already resided in Belgium for more than 3 months before the marriage, this period of 3 years decreases to 6 months!

So indeed Belgium is one of the easiest immigration formalities if u r married. BUT dont forget, Flemish Communes which act like different states as I heard, would be much more difficult than French ones. If I would do, I would certainly go to a French Commune to register...

Belgium is a very nice country with warm people (of course some Flemish people would be a bit different!) so I wish good luck to all...

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:13 pm

Many thanks for that update - I am sure it will be of great benefit to our visitors/ members. Apologies if a repetitive question but was your HSMP approved? I recall you being active in the EU/ EC policy field.

gulgon

Post by gulgon » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:01 pm

You are welcome. I had stayed in Belgium and heard much about immigration stories there so I wanted to share.

My HSMP will probably be decided by february 2005 so still waiting. Meanwhile, I might go to Slovakia to work there. Lets see what happens! I will inform you if there is any progress.

And I guess if I am approved, I will be one of the rare people with non-technical background. Lets see if the UK values EC/EU experience!"

parham_gs
Newly Registered

Immigration with previuos marriage

Post by parham_gs » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:19 am

Hello
If you are married with another citizens,how can immigrate to belgium with your family?

Thanks in Advanced

vpadanny
Newly Registered

Post by vpadanny » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:42 pm

Supposed that a person is married to a Belgian citizen for 2.5 years, and he/she is a holder of a 5 years card... and they decided to file for a divorce. Will that person be allowed to remain in Belfium and get his citizenship after the 3 years grace period?

Thanks,

julie
Newly Registered

Post by julie » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:28 pm

I have been married for a few months with my man ( belgium citizen )and we asked for a residency permit and we haven't gotten any reply back from the immgration service that is responsible has not given the commune where will live the go ahead to let me have the 5 months card they always give first to someone who is married with a belgian person,and it has been 2 months since we went to ask for it.

Is this normal and what should we do?