ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA National & spouse of British citizen

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jsmith1
Newly Registered

EEA National & spouse of British citizen

Post by jsmith1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:22 pm

Hello

Apologies for the basic questions :oops: . I will include as much information as possible and hope you can help.

My wife is a German national. She’s been living in the U.K. since December 2009, in which time she has been self-employed (and so has HMRC tax returns) and also spent 12 months studying for and achieving an MSc at a London university.

I am a British citizen by birth. We got married in 2012 in London and have a child together, born in the U.K.

In the wake of the EU referendum vote, she’s decided to apply for British citizenship. She’s taken and passed the ‘Life in the U.K.’ test recently.

We started to complete form EEA(PR) as a first step. Now I’m confused as to whether this is the correct form for her*. Is it? Am I her sponsor?

When we send originals of everything I assume (and hope) the HO takes copies and returns things promptly? We can’t be without our passports for any length of time!

Thanks

J

*As an aside, I see that the forms aren’t actually a mandatory requirement and as long as all the detail, documentary evidence and the fee page is sent, a covering letter will suffice for EU citizens exercising their treaty rights…

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: EEA National & spouse of British citizen

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:29 pm

Yes, confirmation of PR is the correct form under EEA Regulations. She can't apply for ILR as your spouse as she hasn't been resident under the UK Immigration Rules.
Has she been self-employed throughout her 5 year qualifying period?
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

jsmith1
Newly Registered

Post by jsmith1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, she's been self-employed, although she did a degree in 2010-11 (just inside the 5 year period) and I think she was technically employed for a 3 month period in 2013 when she worked on a film project.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:49 pm

Brexit is unlikely to affect her if she acquires PR. However naturalisation may cause her to lose German Citizenship . She needs to check her German citizenship status before making potentially irreversible decision.

When UK leave the EU, it will become a non-EU country, and this may have an implication retrospectively on her German citizenship.

Given the choice of European Citizenship and UK citizenship, I know which one I will go for. Especially when PR will secure her long term position in the UK.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

jsmith1
Newly Registered

Post by jsmith1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi Obie

Yes, she will definitely check on the implications for her German nationality.

Our child already has a British passport and we're going to sort out a German one soon.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:58 pm

Well the action of the child is involuntary, your wife will essentially be making a voluntary move by seeking naturalisation.

jsmith1
Newly Registered

Post by jsmith1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:24 pm

One last question - at least for now:

Do they really need to know all the exact dates of each of our holidays and trips abroad for the last five years and all the documents, statements etc. again for the last five years???

Doesn't our marriage four years ago make a difference?

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:41 pm

However naturalisation may cause her to lose German Citizenship
Fortunately not. Since August 2007 Germany has no problem with multiple citizenships received by application if the countries are EU countries (or Switzerland). As long as she obtains UK citizenship whilst the UK is still a member of the EU there is no issue and in this case dual nationality will still be allowed even if the UK later leaves. That's what the German Embassy London and the Bundesverwaltungsamt have confirmed.

As for the application for EEA PR:

1) You cannot be her sponsor as you are a British Citizen and cannot exercise treaty rights in your country of citizenship. She will need to apply in her own right but if she has been self-employed throughout and can prove this there should be no issue. If she was not also working/self-employed whilst studying, she would need private health insurance or a non-UK EHIC to prove that she has been exercising treaty rights during this period.

2) You can do a SAR to see if any travel data comes back (unlikely as she is an EU national). If nothing comes back just list the trips/dates you remember and state that you do not remember all trips but that the overall absences were under 6 months per year (assuming that's the case).

3) As she is married to you (British Citizen), she can apply for BC as soon as she received her PR document.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:57 pm

jsmith1 wrote:One last question - at least for now:

Do they really need to know all the exact dates of each of our holidays and trips abroad for the last five years and all the documents, statements etc. again for the last five years???

Doesn't our marriage four years ago make a difference?
The reason for questions on travel is to confirm that continuity of residence has been maintained;
also that PR status, if acquired, has not been lost again due to a prolonged absence; (unlikely to have been lost in your case).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

jsmith1
Newly Registered

Post by jsmith1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:04 pm

[quote="LilyLalilu"]

As for the application for EEA PR:

1) You cannot be her sponsor as you are a British Citizen and cannot exercise treaty rights in your country of citizenship. She will need to apply in her own right but if she has been self-employed throughout and can prove this there should be no issue. If she was not also working/self-employed whilst studying, she would need private health insurance or a non-UK EHIC to prove that she has been exercising treaty rights during this period.

If I can't be her sponsor, who should be instead or does she not need one? :?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:08 pm

You can't sponsor her unfortunately, unless of course, you have resided with her in another memberstate of the EEA as a worker or self-employed person, and you both resided as Man and wife in that state.

Your marriage makes no difference, except of course in regards to Naturalisation.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:21 pm

If I can't be her sponsor, who should be instead or does she not need one? :?
She will need to apply in her own right.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:38 pm

jsmith1 wrote:Yes, she's been self-employed, although she did a degree in 2010-11 (just inside the 5 year period) and I think she was technically employed for a 3 month period in 2013 when she worked on a film project.
Are you confirming that she was self-employed while doing her degree? If she was not, she cannot count time spent as a student unless she had CSI during that time.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:55 pm

jsmith1 wrote:Do they really need to know all the exact dates of each of our holidays and trips abroad for the last five years and all the documents, statements etc. again for the last five years???
While the holiday data is not that important as regards acquisition of PR (under relaxed EU laws), be aware that the naturalisation application is based on much tougher (British) rules regarding absence and you would want very precise dates for that application. For instance, there is a requirement that the applicant must have been in the UK exactly three years to the day before the application (for spouses of British citizens) and in its wisdom, Parliament decided that the Home Office has no discretion to dispense with this rule. There are also specific rules on absences in the last year and overall across the three years preceding the application.

So, go through your emails, dig up those vacation photos and get as accurate dates as possible regarding these absences from the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.