ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit - petty little details

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ferrellk
Newly Registered

Work Permit - petty little details

Post by ferrellk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:19 am

I have found a sponsoring employer, who wants to submit the paperwork for a work permit. Yay! I applied and was hired from out of the country.

Does anyone know what is required once the permit is issued?

And, I have been told that you must not be in the country when the permit paperwork is submitted. Is this correct?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by ferrellk on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:49 am

The work permit itself should be issued within 4 weeks of them receiving the application. All the info can be found on their site-

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/

ferrellk
Newly Registered

Post by ferrellk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:25 pm

joesoap101 wrote:The work permit itself should be issued within 4 weeks of them receiving the application. All the info can be found on their site-

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/
The dates have done a good jump recently, that is positive.
Last edited by ferrellk on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:31 pm

Hey,

I was wondering why my green card had not been processed (as the dates on the website said it should have been), but was told those dates were, in fact, wrong, due to a software error, so they were a little behind.

Now I think they may have fixed it (but I'm not certain) as I have a friend who applied for her green card on the 17th or 19th of december, and received (positive) news on it just a few days ago.

People will generally be declined where they say they are in the country on a tourist stamp when they submit the work permit form (I had a case of where my friend did the same, from within the country, on DETE advice and was declined on this basis - how bad is that?)

I guess you applied on the old form (a new one was introduced late last year). You will be issued the permit at the address you supplied (now i see they have changed the form and need you to specify that you don't want the permit issued to you at your employers address due to issues with lost permits in the mail). Your employer will receive a colour photocopy of the permit. The rules have changed so that the employee holds the permit as opposed to the employer.

All the best.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:26 pm

I don't believe they routinely refuse work permit applications if you are in the country as a tourist- that mostly occurs if you require a visit visa to Ireland in the first place. In fact I know quite a few people who came to Ireland as tourists, looked for work and successfully obtained employment permits.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:10 am

Hey,

they actually are now. My friend is not visa required (American) and was refused on the basis of holding a tourist stamp. This never used to be the case, as non-visa required nationals are able to change their status within the country, but the rules have now changed as it is the department's view is that you shouldn't be coming as a tourist to Ireland to find work and applying for a permit when in the country (see http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... %20permits).
I note that some people may be able to apply from within the country for a permit, like those married to Employment permit holders etc on a stamp 3, but they did tell me and my friend they will decline people coming in on a tourist stamp now.

It doesn't matter if you do come to look for work in Ireland, but leave the country before submitting an employment permit application - that is fine. My friend who was refused for being on a tourist stamp left the country and successfully got her green card from the US.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:52 pm

I wonder if this applies to work permits only or to green cards as well?

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:26 pm

Seemingly both, as my friend who got refused for this applied for a green card. It's only come in a couple of years ago (I think) and even some staff members at DETE are unaware of the change (hence why my friend applied in the first place). I managed to convert from a working holiday visa, but got the same run around, as it appears the rules on converting to a work permit/green card were completely different 18 months ago to what they are now. What is worse is that the guidelines they provide suggest anyone (non-visa required) in the state legally could apply - pretty bad. It only says you need to be in full time employment already (for the green card) if you require an entry visa!

ferrellk
Newly Registered

Post by ferrellk » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:43 am

esharknz wrote:Hey,

they actually are now. My friend is not visa required (American) and was refused on the basis of holding a tourist stamp. This never used to be the case, as non-visa required nationals are able to change their status within the country, but the rules have now changed as it is the department's view is that you shouldn't be coming as a tourist to Ireland to find work and applying for a permit when in the country (see http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... %20permits).
I note that some people may be able to apply from within the country for a permit, like those married to Employment permit holders etc on a stamp 3, but they did tell me and my friend they will decline people coming in on a tourist stamp now.

It doesn't matter if you do come to look for work in Ireland, but leave the country before submitting an employment permit application - that is fine. My friend who was refused for being on a tourist stamp left the country and successfully got her green card from the US.
So her employer resubmitted while she was out of country and they approved it? Or did she apply for a different job?

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:54 pm

It was the same employer who reapplied once she'd left the country. This was approved. Seemingly in most circumstances they just want people to exit the country (I did this, and entered another EU country as a tourist - no issue there) and apply. Just red tape really - it's all gone really smoothly for myself and my friend once we left the country.

ferrellk
Newly Registered

Post by ferrellk » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:22 pm

thanks for the info. Very helpful.
Last edited by ferrellk on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

amitbha
Newly Registered

can anyone help me.

Post by amitbha » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:47 pm

I am offered a job with 29 K as a Basic with a guranteed allowence 2900 and 10% annual Bonus with a Technologist Post in Software Company.
as I am on Graduate Scheme now a days can anyone tell me whether it will be ok if I go for Green Card under Graduate Scheme.
as employer has given me a letter that I will be receiving a 2900 guranted as a allowance in addition to my basic pay and Bonus...
can anyone reple me as soon as possible ..

thanks in advnace

Regards