ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

[Switzerland] possible to stay after study?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

joey@ch
Newly Registered

[Switzerland] possible to stay after study?

Post by joey@ch » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:50 am

I am on a student permit B and may I know if it is possible to do job hunting in Switzerland after the completion of the course?

I am from third national (non-EU), neither US nor Canada, am I hopeless to work in Switzerland?
Last edited by joey@ch on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Re: [Switzerland] possible to stay after study?

Post by Dawie » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:55 am

joey@ch wrote:I wanna on a student permit B and may I know if it is possible to do job hunting in Switzerland after the completion of the course?

I am from third national (non-EU), neither US nor Canada, am I hopeless to work in Switzerland?
Anyone can go job-hunting, you don't need permission to do that! Whether you will find an employer willing to sponsor a work permit for you is another matter however.

I'm not sure what the reference to US or Canada is for? It doesn't matter whether you're from Mongolia or Canada or the US, the same rules apply to you unless you're a citizen of an EU or EEA country.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

joey@ch
Newly Registered

Re: [Switzerland] possible to stay after study?

Post by joey@ch » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:04 am

I am from third national (non-EU), neither US nor Canada, am I hopeless to work in Switzerland?[/quote]

Anyone can go job-hunting, you don't need permission to do that! Whether you will find an employer willing to sponsor a work permit for you is another matter however.

I'm not sure what the reference to US or Canada is for? It doesn't matter whether you're from Mongolia or Canada or the US, the same rules apply to you unless you're a citizen of an EU or EEA country.[/quote]

Because if I hold US/CA passport, I can get a job easier in Switzerland...

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:08 am

The same rules apply to ALL non-EU citizens.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Let us keep in mind that the same rules apply ... on paper.

I don't think anybody is so naive as to believe that all countries treat everyone the same. Considering the recent issues in Switzerland regarding their "black sheep" propaganda, the question certainly has merit.

To address more directly joey's questions:

Dawie very correctly noted that nothing prevents you from looking for work.

I think one of the points missed is that many times a person who is trying to get a visit visa (to the U.S. or the UK for examples) can have that visa denied if immigration officials suspect they might attempt to use it to work or look for work.

In reality, they cannot "know" a persons intention, but individual officials most certainly decide the fate of immigrants and visitors every few minutes by determining that they 'pose a risk' of violating their visa terms. And, indeed, student visas are regularly abused, so there is reasonable suspicion to evaluate students as to their intentions.

It is, in fact, their job to do so. This board is filled with stories about how that happens, and very inappropriately in some cases.

Regarding Switzerland:

I am unfamiliar with the "student permit B," so I don't know which country it is from or what conditions are attached to being granted one. If it is a Swiss visa, read up on the conditions for obeying the rules to keep it. If it is not a Swiss visa (British maybe?), then so long as you travel to Switzerland legally, I don't think there are any conditions that prevent you from talking to people who happen to be possible employers or otherwise investigating the local job market.

At that time, the employer will decide if they want to sponsor you based upon your qualifications.

As far as "other considerations," such as ethnic origin, Yes, Switzerland is a country where you have a probability of encountering prejudices.

To get past those, your English and your Swiss should be good. Excellent German and/or French would certainly go a long way.

What it comes down to (in most countries) is that, while there may be prejudices against a person because of obvious ethnic features physically, the moment they speak with reasonable fluency in the native language and demonstrate some degree of knowing local culture AND indicating by behavior that they are ready to join it, opportunities present themselves.

Beyond that, evaluate what your skills are and what the region you are looking for work in requires.

Do you have something to offer to the local job market? Most businesses become very receptive to skilled employees who can bring value to their company.

Evaluate how you will bring prosperity to the employers you contact. Also, evaluate your potential employer .. some are more receptive toward cultural diversity and recognize its value.

Then your situation is not "hopeless."

Realistically ... Yes, in some countries it may be more difficult than in others.

Good Luck!

the Admin

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:19 pm

Administrator wrote:.
To get past those, your English and your Swiss should be good. Excellent German and/or French would certainly go a long way.
I know they speak Swiss-German and Swiss-French.is that what you are referring to?

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:04 pm

archigabe wrote:
I know they speak Swiss-German and Swiss-French.is that what you are referring to?
My bad. I'm being an idiot today ... :roll: :oops:

I was typing at the 'stream of consciousness' level and was trying to get the concept of 'Swiss dialect' and 'culture' into the post and blew it on the actual language description.

Sorry guys.

the Admin

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:35 pm

archigabe wrote:
And Swiss-Italian and Romansch!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Fairtrade

Post by Fairtrade » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:52 pm

Swiss-German is infact so far away from German or "Hochdeutsch" that people from Germany don't understand spoken Swiss-German.

So if you want to go and live in Switzerland, you would have to learn Swiss "Schweizerdeutsch" not German.

Italian is also a language which is spoken in Switzerland near the border with Italy, but the largest language in Switzerland is Schweizerdeutsch (Swiss) followed by French...... and Romansch.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:38 pm

What's Romansch like? Is it close to Romanian and Latin?

Fairtrade

Post by Fairtrade » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:55 pm

Yes, Romansh (also spelled Rumantsch, Romansch or Romanche) is one of the four national languages of Switzerland, along with Swiss-German, Italian and French. It is one of the Rhaeto-Romance languages, believed to have descended from the Vulgar Latin variety spoken by Roman era occupiers of the region, and, as such, somewhat resembles Italian, French, Catalan, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:02 pm

Fairtrade wrote:It is one of the Rhaeto-Romance languages, believed to have descended from the Vulgar Latin variety spoken by Roman era occupiers of the region, and, as such, somewhat resembles Italian, French, Catalan, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian.
Easy one's then! Learning Russian taught me how needlessly complicated a language can be. Went to relearn a bit of French and after Russian I can't understand how I once struggled with it. Even German seems easy now.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:09 pm

Joey@ch, as Dawie pointed out, nothing stops you from job hunting. However , if you do find an employer that is willing to sponsor you and depending if there are available quotas left for Non- EU / EFTA residence permits within the particular canton you will work and live in, you will have to leave Switzerland to complete the necessary paperwork at the Swiss embassy in your country of origin for the "Assurance of a Residence Permit" . Once you have that in your passport, you may then proceed to Switzerland and within 8 days of arrival you have to register yourself at your local commune and apply for your residence permit. Once you have your L or B permit(depending on how long your work contract is valid for) in hand, only then can you start working.