ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization(British Citizenship) after ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shafz
Newly Registered

Naturalization(British Citizenship) after ILR

Post by shafz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:36 pm

With some crrection...

Hi Guys!
Please advise on following

Some details:
-> I came to UK in January, 2003 on work permit.
-> My wife came to UK to join me in January 2005 as my dependant.
-> My son was born here in UK in January 2006.
-> Me and My family have been granted ILR in January 2008 (5 days ago).

Questions:-

1- My son was born here in UK . Can I register my son for British Citizenship now? If yes, how long does registeration process take? Where can I find the information about registeration process, processing times, addresses etc.?

2- Can my wife apply for Naturalization with me after 12 months of ILR (note that my wife came to UK in 2005 while I came in 2003). If yes, can we file a joint application for Naturalisation?

3- If my wife can't file Naturalisation application after 12 months of ILR then how long she'll have to wait and what would be the procedure afterwards?

I'll be grateful if anybody can advise on these please.

Regards
Shafz
Last edited by shafz on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:57 pm

1) Now that you have ILR ,your son, who was born in UK can register immediately on a MN1, once that has happen he apply for British Nationality. Waiting times about 3 months

2) I speak under correction but I beleive your wife will be able to apply for Naturalisation with you in Jan 2009. Waiting time about 4 months

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:34 pm

Well you need to apply for naturalization first. You and your wife won't be able to apply at the same time as you wife does not meet the five year residence criteria by Jan 2009. Once you are successfully naturalized, your wife can then apply because in that case as she is wife of a British citizen the residency requirement will be three years.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Naturalization(British Citizenship) after ILR

Post by JAJ » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:39 am

shafz wrote: 1- My son was born here in UK . Can I register my son for British Citizenship now? If yes, how long does registeration process take? Where can I find the information about registeration process, processing times, addresses etc.?
Yes, you can register your son now as British under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act.
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britis ... shcitizen/

Form MN1 needs to be used, fee of GB400, processing time 1-2 months.

2- Can my wife apply for Naturalization with me after 12 months of ILR (note that my wife came to UK in 2005 while I came in 2003). If yes, can we file a joint application for Naturalisation?

3- If my wife can't file Naturalisation application after 12 months of ILR then how long she'll have to wait and what would be the procedure afterwards?
You can't apply jointly unless both of you fulfil the 5 year rule. As your wife won't be eligible until January 2010 your options are:

A. Wait until January 2010 to file jointly; or

B. You naturalise in January 2009 and once you are sworn in as British (maybe mid 2009) your wife can then immediately apply for naturalisation under the 3 year rule.

shafz
Newly Registered

Post by shafz » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks very much for your advice guys! I understand that my wife will have to apply for Naturalization once I get the citizenship. But I have another question:

Would it be wise to hold my son's registeration untill I file an application for Naturalization in january, 2009. Can I register my son at the same time when I apply for Naturalization? Any advice? Any pros and cons?

Regards
Shafz

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:36 am

I think it's unlikely that the fees will go down. They may even go up. So you should register your son sooner, rather than later.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

bluu2k
Newly Registered

Post by bluu2k » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:13 am

vinny wrote:I think it's unlikely that the fees will go down. They may even go up. So you should register your son sooner, rather than later.
I wonder if he can register his child as a dependent in his naturalization application and thus save that £400? Or using MN1 form is a must for the child?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:16 am

I wonder if he can register his child as a dependent in his naturalization application and thus save that £400?
No, that is not possible. Sooner or later the form MN1 will be used to register your child as British. As Vinny says, the £400 fee is hardly likely to reduce ... so shafz, get to it as soon as possible!
John

shafz
Newly Registered

Post by shafz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:27 pm

Thanks very much Guys!

I understand that

1) I should file an application to register my son ASAP.
2) Then I should apply for Naturalisation in January 2009. (correction!)
3) Once I get citizenship then my wife can apply for Naturalization as a spouse of a British citizen.

correct?

Regards
Shafz
Last edited by shafz on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:34 pm

Me and My family have been granted ILR in January 2007 (5 days ago).
2) Then I should apply for Naturalisation in January 2008.
Can we clarify this please, just to make sure. Please look at a calendar. You want to correct anything?
John

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:24 pm

shafz wrote:Thanks very much Guys!

I understand that

1) I should file an application to register my son ASAP.
2) Then I should apply for Naturalisation in January 2008.
3) Once I get citizenship then my wife can apply for Naturalization as a spouse of a British citizen.

correct?

Regards
Shafz
Calm down dear..you`ve got another year to do the research...

shafz
Newly Registered

Post by shafz » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Thanks John!
I have corrected the dates!
it looks I am still 1 year behind! :lol: