ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC & BP after 16YRS of ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CEALB
Newly Registered

BC & BP after 16YRS of ILR

Post by CEALB » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:31 am

I would like to know what I simply need to know to obtain/apply my BC (British Citizenship) & BP (British passport), but please first study/consider the following facts:
I came in October 2012 as a fiance of my then BC boyfriend who is now my husband;
We married by civil ceremony in February 2013;
I immediatly applied by post for my ILR which was granted in April 2014, so I have been living in London for more than 16 years under my ILR;
We are still married and living together in the same area in London since 2012;
My husband is English/BC, 60 yrs old and works permanently and full time as a Mechanical Engineer and
I am 55 years old, Southamerican (Venezuelan), have been working first as a freelancer (Community Interpreter/Life in UK, OCLN) and second as part-time temporary worker in the catering industry (I am DBS checked and hold up-to-date Enhanced Certificate as I work in catering at schools), while attending and raising our only child and having a succesfull major brain surgery in 2009;
We've had one son who was born in London August 2013, still living with us, attending local secondary school and holds boths passports (British and Venezuelan);
I have been abroad for no more than 30 days holidyas during the last 16 years, being 2011 the last time.
After considering all this information, my question to you is:
After all these 16+ years of real life experience in London/UK, Is there any fast track that would apply to me or do I still have to take the usual Life in UK Test in order to apply for my BC and BP?
Kind Regards,
Mrs CEALB

CEALB
Newly Registered

Re: BC & BP after 16YRS of ILR

Post by CEALB » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:34 am

correction: " We've had one son who was born in London August 2003"

CEALB
Newly Registered

Post by CEALB » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:35 am

sorry! correction "my ILR which was granted in April 2004"

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:43 am

As long as you have not enjoyed any prolonged absence from UK after getting ILR then your ILR should be intact.

Yes, LITUK and proof of English are required in order to naturalise.

Apply on AN form. Suggest apply via NCS.
Once successful, apply for passport.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

CEALB
Newly Registered

Post by CEALB » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:58 am

More questions:
- I understand "via NCS" (Nationality Checking service), but what AN stands for?
- Isn't my Community Interpreter OCNL Certificate (English-Spanish) and working in London enough as a proof of English? English is main language at our home anyway.
Thanks !

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:28 pm

CEALB wrote:I would like to know what I simply need to know to obtain/apply my BC (British Citizenship) & BP (British passport), but please first study/consider the following facts:
I came in October 2012 as a fiance of my then BC boyfriend who is now my husband;
We married by civil ceremony in February 2013;
I immediatly applied by post for my ILR which was granted in April 2014, so I have been living in London for more than 16 years under my ILR;

We are still married and living together in the same area in London since 2012;
My husband is English/BC, 60 yrs old and works permanently and full time as a Mechanical Engineer and
I am 55 years old, Southamerican (Venezuelan), have been working first as a freelancer (Community Interpreter/Life in UK, OCLN) and second as part-time temporary worker in the catering industry (I am DBS checked and hold up-to-date Enhanced Certificate as I work in catering at schools), while attending and raising our only child and having a succesfull major brain surgery in 2009;
We've had one son who was born in London August 2013, still living with us, attending local secondary school and holds boths passports (British and Venezuelan);
I have been abroad for no more than 30 days holidyas during the last 16 years, being 2011 the last time.
After considering all this information, my question to you is:
After all these 16+ years of real life experience in London/UK, Is there any fast track that would apply to me or do I still have to take the usual Life in UK Test in order to apply for my BC and BP?
Kind Regards,
Mrs CEALB
Do you want to double check your dates as they don't add up to 16 years.

For citizenship, you need English level B1 and Life in the UK test first before you can apply.

There is not 'fast track' service for citizenship applications. Current citizenship application cost is £1,236 and Passport cost is £72-50
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:42 pm

CEALB wrote:More questions:
- I understand "via NCS" (Nationality Checking service), but what AN stands for?
- Isn't my Community Interpreter OCNL Certificate (English-Spanish) and working in London enough as a proof of English? English is main language at our home anyway.
Thanks !
AN = Adult Naturalisation form: https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... w-to-apply

For proof of English, your country needs to be on the exempt list to get an exemption.
Or use a suitable degree as proof.
See https://www.gov.uk/english-language/overview

CEALB
Newly Registered

Post by CEALB » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:49 pm

SORRY! all corrections (laptop taken the #1 instead of #0 ) !? :shock:
I came in October 2002
We married by civil ceremony in February 2003
I immediatly applied by post for my ILR which was granted in April 2004, so I have been living in London for more than 16 years under my ILR
We are still married and living together in the same area in London since 2002
We've had one son who was born in London August 2003

Thanks for all your help !
Quite clear now!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:52 pm

12 years of ILR.

CEALB
Newly Registered

Post by CEALB » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:37 pm

Of course, you are right: 12 not 16 years ! :?:
Anyway, you have answered all my questions, I am clear now and really appreciate your help.
Thanks again,
Mrs CEALB

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:18 pm

No fast track. Life in the UK is required, as well as English to level B1 (if you don't have a UK degree or a foreign one taught in English, you will need to past an approved test).

£1236 application fee + £80 or so if you choose to submit it through Nationality Checking Service (NCS). They will check your application is completed correctly and also send copies of your documents so you can keep the originals.

Once you have been granted citizenship and received your certificate, you can apply for a passport. The current cost is £72.50

CEALB
Newly Registered

Post by CEALB » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:50 pm

Yes, thank you, today I have read a lot about it specially today!
I clearly undertand now that I do need to take the Life in the UK test,
but I have doubts about taking and paying for the English Test in UK as I have already gained:
-A Certificate in Community Interpreting with a total of 9 credits, provided by Wea London Region/National Open College Network, in London UK November 2007. I have such original certificate. I worked for several years as a community interpreter. A NARIC letter issued in 2009 notes that this certificate from the WEA/NOCN is a Record of Achievement that can be presented to potential employers and UK institutions for their consideration.
- An Associated Degree of Applied Science in Interior Design, at a College In Colorado USA December 1983 , for which I have my original certificate, a letter with my grades/points and a letter from the State of Colorado certifying it, plus I have the NARIC letter (issued in 2009) confirming that my degree is comparable to the overall GCE Advanced/Scottish Advanced Higher Standard.
- A Certificate of Award for Outstanding Achievement in Intensive English Language at an International English School in Colorado USA July 1981, which I obvioulsy gained before entering College (1981-1983).

The Gov.Uk site says that "If your degree was taught or researched in English, You can prove your knowledge of English by having a degree that was taught or researched in English.
If you have a degree from a UK university, you only need your original degree certificate.
If your degree isn’t from a UK university, you’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:
an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)"

So, considering that I do have
- a Community Interpreter UK Certificate which NARIC notes as a Record of Achievement.
- an mule Degree of Applied Science In Interior Design USA Certificate which NARIC compares to overall GCE Advanced/Scottish Advanced Higher Standard.
- a Certificate in English as a Second Language USA
- DBS clearance and various certificates in Health & Safety in Catering after taking related tests in English.
- worked as a Community Interpreter and in Catering/Hospitality (NI, P45 and payslips as proofs)
Do I still have to take the English Test in UK?

K Regards.
MRS CEALB

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:59 pm

Yes as you don't appear to have a Masters or a Bachelor degree.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:05 am

I believe it needs to be a minimum of bachelors degree.

Don't worry, the system isn't 100% fair to everyone. I've lived in the UK since I was a year old and I'm a native English speaker, yet I still had to do an English test.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:41 am

ohara wrote:I believe it needs to be a minimum of bachelors degree. Correct

Don't worry, the system isn't 100% fair to everyone. I've lived in the UK since I was a year old and I'm a native English speaker, yet I still had to do an English test.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:41 am

Just think how easy the English test will be. :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)

CEALB
Newly Registered

Post by CEALB » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:47 am

Everything is so expensive here and I live on minimum so I don't understand some others get it done so easy and quick.
Thanks to everyone.