ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU to UK. supporting myself without help of public funds

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

HTS1
Newly Registered

Post by HTS1 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi,

I want to live in the uk for 2 years, but I'm unemployed but have a decent amount of savings (I'm only 21though, so maybe they will ask even more money in the bank). Plan is to rent an 250-350£/month studio. Any idea what amount they will accept as able to support myself?
Just a general guideline will do, hard to find this with search.

It seems like I have to apply for EEA1. Is this usually a matter of weeks (or is it more like months?)

One last question you probably have to guess because this is not the right place to ask but the tax year is from april5 to april 5 every year. If I come to the uk april 1st and everything is arranged (I get permission to rent in the uk, without having a job) for example june 1st. Will I be a UK resident starting june 1st as day 1 or april1st? (when I asked for permission to stay).
I ask because I pay taxes to the uk government if I stay longer than 6months a year in britain, otherwise I'm still have to pay taxes in my own country so it's kinda important when I can actually be an official resident.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:55 pm

Rights and responsibilities wrote:You do not have to work while you are living in the United Kingdom. If you do not work you must be able to support yourself without the use of public funds.
9.3 - Maintenance: General requirements wrote:There is no explicit minimum figure for what represents sufficient maintenance. However, in 2006 UKAIT KA and Others (Pakistan), the AIT strongly suggested that it would not be appropriate to have immigrant families existing on resources that that were less than the Income Support level for a British Family of that size (See Paragraph 8 of the determination - available on the Asylum and Immigration Tribunal website). If it is more likely than not that the total amount that the applicant and sponsor will have to live on will be below what the income support level would be for a British family of that size, then it may be appropriate to refuse the application on maintenance and accommodation grounds.
For tax purposes, why don't you enter the UK on 6th April?
Last edited by vinny on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

HTS1
Newly Registered

Post by HTS1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:26 am

Thank you vinny!!!

So that quote means they are not too strict about it? and that 'law' mainly exists to keep people from poverty so they probably don't expect a huge amount in spending money/day?
In that case I think I will be ok.

Ideally I would enter April 6th but if it takes me 2 months before I get an official residence permit I would prefer to go a little bit sooner obv.

So did I understand that quote right? would be great if they aren't too strict about it.

Grtz

edit, Im not sure I understand this correct
Income Support & income-based JSA -

Personal allowances -

Single under 18 35.65/46.85
18-24 46.85
25 or over 59.15
Does this mean they expect me to have 46£ per day I expect to stay in the UK? (seems reasonable, because they probably don't expect me to make any money at all. eventhough I plan to make some money (legally) during my stay in the future).

Do you think it's possible to say I expect to stay 1.5yrs (for example) and after (for example) 6 months I go to the migration office again to say I would like to stay a total of 3yrs instead of 1.5 like I first said?
(not that it would be a problem to say exactly how long I want to stay in advance, but I'm just wondering)
Last edited by HTS1 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:05 am

I think that you may stay as long as you remain a qualified person. After 5 years, you may attain a Permanent right of residence.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

HTS1
Newly Registered

Post by HTS1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:24 am

alright, thank you very much for taking the time to answer. I have a much better idea of what they will be expecting.

HTS1
Newly Registered

Post by HTS1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:07 am

Also, kinda lame question but do they know how long you are in the country? (I have to stay 6m+ a year in uk otherwise I would still pay taxes in my own country).

I expect to stay at least that time each year, but because I do a lot of travelling I'm wondering if they keep track of every EU citizen that enters (by train in my case) or that they just check passports to see if you are a EU citizen and don't keep track of that. Maybe I need to voluntarely fill in a paper where I say how long I've been out of the country?

understand this is a bit of a touchy subject but it's always nice to exactly know what I can and can't do instead of having surprises later on.

Many thanks again for taking the time to answer my previous questions.
Grtz

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:37 am

HTS1 wrote:Also, kinda lame question but do they know how long you are in the country? (I have to stay 6m+ a year in uk otherwise I would still pay taxes in my own country).

I expect to stay at least that time each year, but because I do a lot of travelling I'm wondering if they keep track of every EU citizen that enters (by train in my case) or that they just check passports to see if you are a EU citizen and don't keep track of that. Maybe I need to voluntarely fill in a paper where I say how long I've been out of the country?

understand this is a bit of a touchy subject but it's always nice to exactly know what I can and can't do instead of having surprises later on.

Many thanks again for taking the time to answer my previous questions.
Grtz
Yeah they don't know, you report it and they go on the info given, if there is any activity they can trace and they suspect you are not being forthright they might decide to act accordingly.
Plus stuff like this is a matter of perspective. for instance, I could say 2002 was the date I became a tax resident because that is when I started using my hsmp visa but I could report its 2004 because thats when I was more clear that I was definitely going to stay and I wasn't economically active until then so this is subjective and up to debate. I could claim 2004 and they can argue its 2002 because the use of my visa also showed intent.
anyway you say you are not working so you are not going to show up on their radar until you get employment.
Second, I dont see why you think they don't expect you to make money. I think they can very well say, you can't come because we don' tknow how you expect to support yourself.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:06 pm

You don't need permission to live in the UK as an EU citizen so I'm not sure why you are talking about being "allowed" to live here and having "permission to rent".
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

HTS1
Newly Registered

Post by HTS1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:17 pm

I think they can very well say, you can't come because we don' tknow how you expect to support yourself.
with money that's already in the bank?
I think that's the wat they see as 'supporting myself'

You don't need permission to live in the UK as an EU citizen so I'm not sure why you are talking about being "allowed" to live here and having "permission to rent".
I do need to file a EEA1 if I want to stay for longer then 3months, right?
That's what I understood from reading,
EEA and Swiss nationals have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom. This is called the right of residence. You will only have the right of residence in the United Kingdom if:

* you are an EEA or Swiss national; and
* you are working in the United Kingdom; or
* you are able to support yourself and family in the United Kingdom without the help of public fund

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:19 pm

There is absolutely no requirement to file a EEA1 application if you don't want to. This is simply a certificate confirming your residence in the UK. It is not at all compulsory and most EU citizens never apply for it.

If you want to live permanently here all you have to do is get on a plane.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

HTS1
Newly Registered

Post by HTS1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:35 pm

damn, i have to go now so won't be able to check in for over a week but that was indeed the first thing I heard but later I read different things online.

If I don't file a EEA1, am I registered as an uk resident?
I mean, if I work here (for example, let's say I'm an artist that sells paintings) and live for an entire tax year, do I pay taxes to my own EU country or to the uK?

thx for the discussion! will check responses in a week

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:39 pm

Dawie wrote:There is absolutely no requirement to file a EEA1 application if you don't want to. This is simply a certificate confirming your residence in the UK. It is not at all compulsory and most EU citizens never apply for it.

If you want to live permanently here all you have to do is get on a plane.
nothing is an unqualified right.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:43 pm

21.4.15 After entry wrote:Please note, registration certificates and residence cards are not currently required in the UK in order to be considered legally resident. (EEA nationals and their family members may choose to apply for this documentation as confirmation of their right of residence).
Applying under European law wrote:Registration certificates

A registration certificate is a document issued to EEA nationals that confirms that person's right of residence under European law. You are not required to have a registration certificate to enter, live or work in the United Kingdom.

If you are a national of Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia or Slovenia you are not eligible to apply for a registration certificate until you have completed 12 months continuous employment in the United Kingdom.

Applications for a registration certificate should be made using application form EEA1. This can be downloaded from the right side of this page.

HTS1
Newly Registered

Post by HTS1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:44 pm

A registration certificate is a document issued to EEA nationals that confirms that person's right of residence under European law. You are not required to have a registration certificate to enter, live or work in the United Kingdom.
I'm a bit confused with this sentence, I'm not required to have the certificate but I can apply for it voluntarely? or is it required to be considered a legal resident after all?

sorry, but these sentences are pretty technical and I don't understand fully.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:33 pm

A registration certificate is not required. However, you may choose to apply for it.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:36 am

HTS1, you really are over-complicating this. You have EU Treaty Rights ... just move to the UK. You will go through the EEA/Swiss channel at the Port of Entry .... you will not even be questioned. You do not even need a passport .... if your country has an official ID card scheme ... just use your ID card to enter the UK.
John

HTS1
Newly Registered

Post by HTS1 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:52 am

thanks for clarifying, I read a couple of contradicting messages on websites and that got me all confused.
Thank you all for replying anyway

Greetings,