ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 General, shortage occupation, can apply for 5 years?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pateamrsh
Newly Registered

Tier 2 General, shortage occupation, can apply for 5 years?

Post by pateamrsh » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi Guys,

The job that I am offered is on shortage occupation list. My employer is about to apply for a CoS to UKBA. My employer is willing to apply for 5 years if possible. Could someone please quickly let me know if its possible to apply for a 5 year CoS from UKBA, for a short occupation job??

I couldn't find any information about this online. I know technically its possible but I was not sure if are any limitation in terms of number of years for short occupation job.

Thanks in advance for your help and response. Appreciate it.

Regards,

Ams.

gag285
Member of Standing
India

Re: Tier 2 General, shortage occupation, can apply for 5 yea

Post by gag285 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:05 pm

pateamrsh wrote:Hi Guys,

The job that I am offered is on shortage occupation list. My employer is about to apply for a CoS to UKBA. My employer is willing to apply for 5 years if possible. Could someone please quickly let me know if its possible to apply for a 5 year CoS from UKBA, for a short occupation job??

I couldn't find any information about this online. I know technically its possible but I was not sure if are any limitation in terms of number of years for short occupation job.

Thanks in advance for your help and response. Appreciate it.

Regards,

Ams.
There is no such restriction. The length of your leave depends on the length of your CoS however 5 years is the maximum you can have in one Tier 2 leave provided you have not already spent time in this category without serving a cooloff.

pateamrsh
Newly Registered

Post by pateamrsh » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:08 am

Thanks a lot for you prompt reply. Appreciate it.

You said that "the maximum you can have in one Tier 2 leave provided you have not already spent time in this category without serving a cooloff".

When you say this category, do you mean Tier 2 General?? Because I was in UK for close to 2 years on Tier2 ICT(Long Term Staff) and came back to India in 2014. Which I guess shouldn't matter in this case because category was different and cooloff period is also finished in 2015.

Am I right?

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:02 am

yes, your cooling off period expired and u are free to apply for 5 years visa

pateamrsh
Newly Registered

Post by pateamrsh » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:02 am

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it.

About the visa, I understand that once visa is approved we have 30 days to enter UK. Visa is valid for 30 days. Can we decide the start of 30 days?? I mean can we state in the visa application that I want start date to be sometime later. Or is it fixed that 30 days start right way from the day your visa is approved?

Also, my CoS is valid for 3 months. Last day in the CoS is 5th Nov'2016. I wanted to apply for visa as late as possible because my brother is getting married in December and I want to attend the wedding before i go to UK. Will it be ok, lets say if i submit my visa application on 1th Nov'2016. Will there be any problem? Because normally visa processing time is 3-4 weeks, if i submit my application late I am sure I can attend my brother's wedding in 3rd week of December.

pateamrsh
Newly Registered

Post by pateamrsh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:15 am

Could someone please reply asap?? Its urgent. I need to decide asap.

Ams

gag285
Member of Standing
India

Post by gag285 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:50 am

pateamrsh wrote:Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it.

About the visa, I understand that once visa is approved we have 30 days to enter UK. Visa is valid for 30 days. Can we decide the start of 30 days?? I mean can we state in the visa application that I want start date to be sometime later. Or is it fixed that 30 days start right way from the day your visa is approved?

Also, my CoS is valid for 3 months. Last day in the CoS is 5th Nov'2016. I wanted to apply for visa as late as possible because my brother is getting married in December and I want to attend the wedding before i go to UK. Will it be ok, lets say if i submit my visa application on 1th Nov'2016. Will there be any problem? Because normally visa processing time is 3-4 weeks, if i submit my application late I am sure I can attend my brother's wedding in 3rd week of December.
What do you mean when you say the last day in the CoS is 5th Nov 2016? Also 3- 4 weeks for visa processing is a maximum timeframe. If you look at the Out of country timeline for Tier 2, many visa applications are processed within the second week.

pateamrsh
Newly Registered

Post by pateamrsh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:03 pm

What do you mean when you say the last day in the CoS is 5th Nov 2016?

Answer - I mean CoS is valid for 3 months right. In my case that 3 months validity is up till 5th Nov'2016. So question is will it be ok, lets say if i submit my visa application on 1th Nov'2016. Will there be any problem?

Also 3- 4 weeks for visa processing is a maximum timeframe. If you look at the Out of country timeline for Tier 2, many visa applications are processed within the second week

Answer - Thanks for reply. I think i got confused. Let me check again.

Could you also please through some light on my first doubt..

"About the visa, I understand that once visa is approved we have 30 days to enter UK. Visa is valid for 30 days. Can we decide the start of 30 days?? I mean can we state in the visa application that I want start date to be sometime later. Or is it fixed that 30 days start right way from the day your visa is approved?"

Thanks a lot for your reply. Appreciate it.

Ams.

gag285
Member of Standing
India

Post by gag285 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:10 pm

"About the visa, I understand that once visa is approved we have 30 days to enter UK. Visa is valid for 30 days. Can we decide the start of 30 days?? I mean can we state in the visa application that I want start date to be sometime later. Or is it fixed that 30 days start right way from the day your visa is approved?"

The vignette you get in your passport is valid for 30 days from the date of approval which means you have 30 days to enter UK from the date of approval. Your work start date can be in future but this needs to be indicated in your CoS. You cannot simply ask for a future dated visa in the application. If I was you I wouldn't risk delaying my application to be towards the CoS expiry date although your CoS is valid for three months from issue and is valid on 1st Nov if its expiry is 5th Nov.

pateamrsh
Newly Registered

Post by pateamrsh » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:28 am

Could you please confirm one more thing? This is very important

I have got my CoS from my employer. What should be the current home address field in the CoS ?? I am sure it should be my current address in India...Could you please confirm??

According to my employer, the current home address needs to be UK address where I will be staying when I get there. Sounds strange, I dont think its true. Right now in my CoS, they have put the current home address as some service apartment address in UK where I will be staying once I get there. Will this create any problem in the visa application? Could this lead to visa rejection??

Ams

pateamrsh
Newly Registered

Post by pateamrsh » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:29 am

Could someone experienced please reply quickly?? Need to report this to my employer asap.

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:21 am

its a minor thing.. could be anything.. best to put employer work address as u dont have a home address yet.
Not something to be worried about.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:43 am

pateamrsh wrote:Could someone experienced please reply quickly?? Need to report this to my employer asap.
Why is every post so "urgent" if you are only applying in November? We do have jobs, families etc anD offer our time for free when we can.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

pateamrsh
Newly Registered

Post by pateamrsh » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:56 am

Sorry I did not intended to push you guys, I really appreciate your time and effort.

I have a meeting with my director in less than an hour and that's why it was bit urgent. I need to tell him if we should apply for new CoS because of the mistake or we should go ahead with the current CoS.

Also thanks a lot for the prompt response. Appreciate it.

Ams.