ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Hotel jobs and wages.

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

msorsa
Newly Registered

Hotel jobs and wages.

Post by msorsa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:05 pm

My daughter has been offered work at a major hotel chain in England but I am concerned about the wages. They offer GBP 1000.00 PM. Much lower than the min. stated lower down in this forum.
Will she survive on this?
I personally think that they offer this low salary to the deprived European countries as they are prepared to work for less than the UK people.
By the way, she is from Cape Town South Africa.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Hotel jobs and wages.

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:18 pm

msorsa wrote:My daughter has been offered work at a major hotel chain in England but I am concerned about the wages. They offer GBP 1000.00 PM. Much lower than the min. stated lower down in this forum.
I personally think that they offer this low salary to the deprived European countries as they are prepared to work for less than the UK people.
By the way, she is from Cape Town South Africa.
That's about minimum wage so it's all legal and above board. What visa is she gonna work on, she won't get a Work Permit for that kind of job.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:01 pm

Actually it is a bit above the National Minimum Wage. At £5.52 per hour, someone working a 35 hour week would get £10046 pa.
John

EdgeHillMole

Re: Hotel jobs and wages.

Post by EdgeHillMole » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:07 pm

msorsa wrote:My daughter has been offered work at a major hotel chain in England but I am concerned about the wages. They offer GBP 1000.00 PM. Much lower than the min. stated lower down in this forum.
Provided she's legally allowed to work in the UK, I'd say it all depends on where in the UK she's working/living.

In my particular geographic location (North West), I have quite a few mates surviving on £10-£14k per annum (And, yes, they are all British Citizens by birth-right). Although I would say she's gonna need a few more £s per annum here if she wanted to put something away for a rainy day!

In some areas, such as London, I'm not sure it's humanly possible to survive on £10k.
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Yes living on 10,000 PA in london is not possible.

tell her to "get a job from a job"

If you are out of work its much harder to find job.

also for catering sector look at the following website

http://www.caterer.com/

they should be offering quite good rates if she has any experience and skills in that field.

Also see the salary checker here
http://www.caterer.com/SalaryChecker/Sa ... earch.aspx

Best Of Luck.
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

msorsa
Newly Registered

Post by msorsa » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks for info. That website sure is great.
She is a Finnish citizen and her first lingo is English.