ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

will it affect?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

smiles345
Member of Standing

will it affect?

Post by smiles345 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:58 pm

i'm on a WP for the last 3years. will the new point based system affect the people who already in the UK? i mean, after 2 years when i apply ILR, do i need to acheive points in order to qualify for ILR

thanx in advance

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:42 pm

Its highly likely as individuals on Tier 2 can only apply for ILR after 10 years.You might be able to extend your WP for a further 5 years under Tier 2 provisions though

smiles345
Member of Standing

Post by smiles345 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:18 am

thanx for the reply. that means people who are already on the WP do not qualify for the ILR under the new points based system.

very disappointing . i mean , i have completed 3 years on WP

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:32 pm

thirdwave wrote:Its highly likely as individuals on Tier 2 can only apply for ILR after 10 years.You might be able to extend your WP for a further 5 years under Tier 2 provisions though
Can you advise where you found this information (Preferably a link to a BIA web page or Home Office document)?

Because I've been reading elsewhere on the forum that ILR settlement rules for skilled worker categories is still to be based on five years' residence:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 04&start=0
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:25 am

EdgeHillMole wrote:
thirdwave wrote:Its highly likely as individuals on Tier 2 can only apply for ILR after 10 years.You might be able to extend your WP for a further 5 years under Tier 2 provisions though
Can you advise where you found this information (Preferably a link to a BIA web page or Home Office document)?

Because I've been reading elsewhere on the forum that ILR settlement rules for skilled worker categories is still to be based on five years' residence:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 04&start=0
Sorry guys..looks like I`ll have to eat my words on this one.I does appear that Tier 2 may qualify for settlement after 5 years but whether current WP holders would still be given ILR at the end of their WPs remains to be seen..The HO should have some transitional arrangement for such ppl once Tier 2 in rolled out later this year..

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:57 pm

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Everything's so sketchy and vague right now regarding WP and Tier 2. Unfortunately, nothing to do but wait and see where they ultimately decide to move the goal posts, and what new hurdles they'll require UK residents jump over.
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture