ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 General

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

autoenthu
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Tier 2 General

Post by autoenthu » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:06 am

Asking for a friend who can't access this forum. Question is below:

Hi, I am a dentist from india and have a few questions:
1. I'm awaiting the CoS from my employer/sponsor, is it safe to travel to the UK on a tourist visa (already have) while my work permit application has been submitted ?

2. Would the travel have any consequences on the processing of the work permit? Employer is a A grade sponsor.

3. My sponsor in the UK keeps telling me that he is processing my work permit. However, I understand that the work permit is the visa itself. Does that mean the sponsor is talking about the CoS? Does it normally take a long time to process the CoS after RLMT obligations are met?

Thank you

tckraju
United Kingdom

Re: Tier 2 General

Post by tckraju » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:44 am

1. I'm awaiting the CoS from my employer/sponsor, is it safe to travel to the UK on a tourist visa (already have) while my work permit application has been submitted ?

You can travel to the UK as a visitor, but you have to go back to India if you want to apply for work VISA.

2. Would the travel have any consequences on the processing of the work permit? Employer is a A grade sponsor.

The employer can issue COS which is normally valid for 90 days. This mean you can use this COS number to apply for a VISA. So before your COS expires you are free to travel anywhere you like.

3. My sponsor in the UK keeps telling me that he is processing my work permit. However, I understand that the work permit is the visa itself. Does that mean the sponsor is talking about the CoS? Does it normally take a long time to process the CoS after RLMT obligations are met?

When you sponsor says that they are processing your work permit, it means they are in the process of applying for a COS and also collating the details of RLMT. Once they have finished they should give you the details of the RLMT and COS number. The COS number once issued will be valid for 90 days and this is when you decide when to apply for a work VISA from India. It takes about 2 - 4 weeks depending upon the sponsor and the COS allocation. If the sponsor has any COS available in UKBA SMS, they can assign it right away.

Hope this makes sense.