ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Illegal immigrants will be rounded-up by roaming prison vans

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Unbelievable!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770
Prison vans are to cruise the streets of Britain searching for illegal - immigrants.

The "mobile detention centres" will aim to catch recently arrived foreigners as they emerge from peoplesmuggling lorries.

Immigration officers will hold the suspects inside the vans until background checks are performed.

If they are found to be here illegally, they will be taken by police to a major detention centre in Oakington, Cambridgeshire, before being repatriated.

The sheer number of bogus arrivals has meant police have been too busy to do the job.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:42 pm

What next?Mobile death squads?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:16 am

thirdwave wrote:What next?Mobile death squads?
Kinder Der Menschen!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:50 pm

This was a rather cheery article from earlier this week too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7178416.stm

My advice to all immigrants (Legal or otherwise): Don't get sick! Stay completely healthy! :shock:
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

Hernancortes

Post by Hernancortes » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:42 am

It's gonna get worse. Guess which races are gonna suffer under these proposals? Yep, blacks and Asians.
The borders act gave immigration goons a lot of power to stop search and detain suspected illegals. You can guess the rest, it is just like the sus laws in the 70s and their operation in predominantly black areas.

I'm not gonna wait for the 'cattle trucks' as far as i'm concerned, this country keeps passing dearly beloved immigration laws to please the right wing press barons and media. I :evil:

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:38 pm

EdgeHillMole wrote:This was a rather cheery article from earlier this week too:
That is so sad. If it's not considered as exceptional circumstances, what then is? It seems, according to Al Bangura case, it's being young, healthy and most important, paying lots of taxes.
Watford midfielder Al Bangura has won his appeal to stay in the UK after being awarded a work permit at a hearing on Monday.
he 19-year-old was originally refused leave to stay in this country last month and was set to be deported to his native Sierra Leone.

But after a meeting with Home Office minister Liam Byrne, the club were handed the unusual option of applying for a work permit - which has now been granted.
....This is the right decision and proves what we have said all along that Al has an exceptional case.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/ ... 50,00.html

And he's not required to go back home to apply for an entry clearance.
But I liked the comment by Watford chairman the best :
"He has a fiancée here with a young child and if he goes out of this country then the state will have to pay to look after them. Al is quite capable of doing that if he stays here.
:evil:
Do not live your life in fear.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:57 pm

It's brilliant that Al is being allowed to stay, but it is a shame that a) he wasn't granted refugee status in the first place, and b) the same special treatment can't be given to those out of the public eye.

But don't lets take anything away from Al; he deserved this break.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:04 pm

I guess we can expect things like this, then: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7192237.stm
Visa row patient starts dialysis
A dying Ghanaian woman who was controversially removed from a UK hospital and flown home has begun having vital treatment in her homeland.
Ama Sumani, 39, was removed a week ago by UK immigration officials because her visa had expired.

Mrs Sumani's kidney dialysis she was having in Cardiff prolonged her life, and her supporters feared she would not be able to pay the costs in Ghana.

But three months' treatment has been paid by a Dutch woman living in Wales.

Ms Sumani's supporters in Wales are now confident that the mother-of-two will be able to find additional funding for more dialysis after that has been completed at the capital Accra's Korle-Bu hospital.

Janet Simmons, a Cardiff-based supporter, said she hoped the therapy, needed to keep her friend alive, will begin soon.

Malignant myeloma

She said she was confident of securing additional funding for the dialysis which costs about $6000 (£3,060) for three months.

Last Wednesday Mrs Sumani was taken from Cardiff's University Hospital where she had been cared for for a year after being diagnosed with malignant myeloma which damaged her kidneys.

Immigration officials took her to Heathrow and then flew back with to the Ghanaian capital, Accra.

Efforts to find a way for Mrs Sumani to receive dialysis there have continued for the last week.

She first came to the UK five years ago to become a student but began working as a cleaner, contravening her visa regulations.

Her case prompted widespread controversy in the UK with the Lancet medical journal calling the decision to send her home "atrocious barbarism".

First Minister Rhodri Morgan said the Home Office should re-examine the case and "draw a different conclusion".

He compared Mrs Sumani's case to that of Sierra Leone footballer Al Bangura who has been allowed to stay in the UK after a Home Office appeal against deportation

Wales Euro MP Glenys Kinnock called for an explanation as to why Ms Sumani did not qualify under the Border and Immigration Agency's "exceptional circumstances" provision.

But the head of the Border and Immigration Agency, Lin Homer, told the home affairs select committee that hers did not stand out from other difficult cases.

Former Home Office minister Alun Michael, the MP for Cardiff South and Penarth, the constituency where Ms Sumani lived, said her case had been thoroughly examined.

He said that the debate was more about the quality of treatment available in her home country.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:46 am

I don't know how these Home Office ministers sleep at night. A heart of stone and an absolute lack of compassion is obviously a prerequisite for working at the Home Office.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:04 pm

something is not quite clear

"her supporters feared she would not be able to pay the costs in Ghana."

I wonder how she managed to pay the costs in "Rip off Britain" in the first place?

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Given that she has bone marrow cancer and is on dialysis treatment, she probably wasn't earning very much (If anything at all). Maybe she was taking free hand-outs for food and lodging.

I think the taxpayers were paying all the costs of her treatment (Via the NHS). Which is no doubt part of the reason why she was chucked out of the UK - She was placing a large burden on the taxpayer/NHS without having paid enough taxes to compensate. I remember reading somewhere that unfortunately she was ineligible for the same treatment in Ghana unless she paid full price for it.

We can only hope when it comes our turn to get sick or start dying, we've paid enough into the UK tax pot!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:44 pm

EdgeHillMole wrote:Given that she has bone marrow cancer and is on dialysis treatment, she probably wasn't earning very much (If anything at all). Maybe she was taking free hand-outs for food and lodging.

I think the taxpayers were paying all the costs of her treatment (Via the NHS). Which is no doubt part of the reason why she was chucked out of the UK - She was placing a large burden on the taxpayer/NHS without having paid enough taxes to compensate. I remember reading somewhere that unfortunately she was ineligible for the same treatment in Ghana unless she paid full price for it.

We can only hope when it comes our turn to get sick or start dying, we've paid enough into the UK tax pot!
I'm totally in two minds over this issue, I don't want to see anyone die in any circumstances but at the same time I don't want the UK NHS to become a catchall for all the impoverished and inadequate health care systems throughout the world.

Who's not to say that the treatment this woman has already received in the UK has delayed the treatment of someone else further down the line and will maybe resulted in their death?

There are consequences for every action and there's no way to legislate for every outcome.

But ultimately the buck stops with the Ghanian Health Service doesn't it?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Wanderer wrote:I'm totally in two minds over this issue, I don't want to see anyone die in any circumstances but at the same time I don't want the UK NHS to become a catchall for all the impoverished and inadequate health care systems throughout the world.

Who's not to say that the treatment this woman has already received in the UK has delayed the treatment of someone else further down the line and will maybe resulted in their death?
Yes, very true.

This case is reminding me of ecologist Hardin's work on Lifeboat Ethics and also on the Tragedy of the Commons.

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:46 am

EdgeHillMole wrote:This was a rather cheery article from earlier this week too:
My advice to all immigrants (Legal or otherwise): Don't get sick! Stay completely healthy! :shock:
The poor woman has died two months after being removed from the UK.
May she rest in peace.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7306345.stm

How can they sleep at night? :evil:
Do not live your life in fear.

gaman

Post by gaman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:47 pm

Hernancortes wrote:It's gonna get worse. Guess which races are gonna suffer under these proposals? Yep, blacks and Asians.
The borders act gave immigration goons a lot of power to stop search and detain suspected illegals. You can guess the rest, it is just like the sus laws in the 70s and their operation in predominantly black areas.

I'm not gonna wait for the 'cattle trucks' as far as i'm concerned, this country keeps passing dearly beloved immigration laws to please the right wing press barons and media. I :evil:
Oh! don't forget the Brazilians - they will be shot dead instead !!!!!