ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for PR - no CSI

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

harridan6
Newly Registered

Application for PR - no CSI

Post by harridan6 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi, I just came across this forum when searching for information on the application processing timelines.

I'm an EU citizen, I've studied full-time for 5 years and worked full-time for the past two years.
Here's my timeline:

Application sent: 19/07/2016
Documents received: 20/07/2016
Payment taken: 20/07/2016
Confirmation email: 18/08/2016
DCPR dated: waiting
DCPR received: waiting

I was a little taken aback by how they took the payment right the next day but only acknowledged my application after a full month - so I e-mailed the Croydon office to ask what the story is... Now I see that it's kind of a standard these days! :D

Anyway, they wrote me that it could take up to 6 months to process my lovely application... I hope to God that it's shorter than that, as my case is relatively straightforward and I have bought tickets to visit my family abroad over Christmas! If they don't return my passport before then, I won't be able to go and I would be absolutely devastated! (Not to mention I'm flying with Ryanair and the ticket isn't refundable :P).
But, well, I guess I should've checked better before applying and take into account the Brexit referendum.
Wiser by one experience...

Regards and good luck to everyone else applying!

noajthan

Re: Application for PR or PR card: form EEA (PR) - UpToDate

Post by noajthan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:11 pm

harridan6 wrote:Hi, I just came across this forum when searching for information on the application processing timelines.

I'm an EU citizen, I've studied full-time for 5 years and worked full-time for the past two years.
Here's my timeline:

Application sent: 19/07/2016
Documents received: 20/07/2016
Payment taken: 20/07/2016
Confirmation email: 18/08/2016
DCPR dated: waiting
DCPR received: waiting

I was a little taken aback by how they took the payment right the next day but only acknowledged my application after a full month - so I e-mailed the Croydon office to ask what the story is... Now I see that it's kind of a standard these days! :D

Anyway, they wrote me that it could take up to 6 months to process my lovely application... I hope to God that it's shorter than that, as my case is relatively straightforward and I have bought tickets to visit my family abroad over Christmas! If they don't return my passport before then, I won't be able to go and I would be absolutely devastated! (Not to mention I'm flying with Ryanair and the ticket isn't refundable :P).
But, well, I guess I should've checked better before applying and take into account the Brexit referendum.
Wiser by one experience...

Regards and good luck to everyone else applying!
You can request documents/passport back in a few weeks.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Grodan
Newly Registered

Post by Grodan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Harridan6

Did you have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance CSI during your years as a student?

Requesting your passport back doesn't seem to alter the timeline just be careful when you do it because you don't want to accidentally press the withdrawal button.

harridan6
Newly Registered

Post by harridan6 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:00 pm

Grodan, no, I don't think so... I never applied for anything like that and, to be fair, I don't even know what that is. I've never heard of it before. I have the National Insurance Number and as a student I lived at home with my mum working full-time. I registered with my GP as soon as I got my NI number and have had the regular health cover ever since (ie I don't have to pay for visits, prescribed medication etc.). I've been told that being in full-time education would be enough, but I also sent a copy of my mum's WRS registration for their reference...

avva78, my problem is that I don't have the national ID from my country of origin as I moved to the UK right after my 18th birthday and basically I never needed a proper ID back there. I only have my passport, as I don't have a driving licence. :/ I can technically get the national ID in my native country, but I'd have to travel there to apply and to pick up the card, and the plane tickets are super expensive. I want to apply for provisional driving licence instead when I get my passport back. I won't be able to travel, but at least it's a form of ID...

Grodan
Newly Registered

Post by Grodan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:11 am

harridan6 wrote:Grodan, no, I don't think so... I never applied for anything like that and, to be fair, I don't even know what that is. I've never heard of it before. I have the National Insurance Number and as a student I lived at home with my mum working full-time. I registered with my GP as soon as I got my NI number and have had the regular health cover ever since (ie I don't have to pay for visits, prescribed medication etc.). I've been told that being in full-time education would be enough, but I also sent a copy of my mum's WRS registration for their reference...
We don't qualify in our own right as students if we don't have CSI during the whole time we are here as students. Using the NHS will sadly fail us.

Read this link to get an understanding of why we need CSI and what it is.

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/compreh ... -needs-it/

harridan6
Newly Registered

Post by harridan6 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Well, that's just fantastic. :/ Nobody has ever mentioned this to me before and I really did ask a lot of "competent" people. So, does that mean that my time here as a student doesn't count at all, even if I lived with my mom and she worked legally the whole time? Wonder if they send me a refusal and tell me to wait another 3 years while working. :/

On another hand, I know people who got the permanent residence without any insurance of that sort, wonder how they managed to get it.

If they tell me to wait (or get out after Brexit), I will be absolutely devastated.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:43 pm

harridan6 wrote:Well, that's just fantastic. :/ Nobody has ever mentioned this to me before and I really did ask a lot of "competent" people. So, does that mean that my time here as a student doesn't count at all, even if I lived with my mom and she worked legally the whole time? Wonder if they send me a refusal and tell me to wait another 3 years while working. :/

On another hand, I know people who got the permanent residence without any insurance of that sort, wonder how they managed to get it.

If they tell me to wait (or get out after Brexit), I will be absolutely devastated.
There are many ways to acquire the holy grail of PR status. Those other people evidently took another path.

If on EU migration trajectory and applying in own right as a student then, yes, CSI is required (or some suitable alternative).
Did you not see references to CSI in PR application form and guidance?

If you applied as someone's dependent (eg a Union citizen parent who is a qualified person) then your activity in UK is immaterial and then no need for CSI;
(unless ofcourse your sponsor is/was a student!).

harridan6
Newly Registered

Post by harridan6 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:29 pm

Well, I didn't know it had to be private insurance, but I asked the Home Office customer service for advice and they never mentioned it either... There's no point in blaming anyone now, I should have checked better. I was sure that the NHS was enough.

I have applied as an individual but then I mentioned my parent in the form and provided her documents for reference, as I wasn't sure whether or not to apply as a dependent (I did ask for advice but several officials told me different information).
Not that straightforward a case after all. :/

So I should probably prepare myself mentally for a refusal, wonder if I can apply as a dependent next year. I'll just request my passport back in a few weeks.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:36 pm

harridan6 wrote:Well, I didn't know it had to be private insurance, but I asked the Home Office customer service for advice and they never mentioned it either... There's no point in blaming anyone now, I should have checked better. I was sure that the NHS was enough.

I have applied as an individual but then I mentioned my parent in the form and provided her documents for reference, as I wasn't sure whether or not to apply as a dependent (I did ask for advice but several officials told me different information).
Not that straightforward a case after all. :/

So I should probably prepare myself mentally for a refusal, wonder if I can apply as a dependent next year. I'll just request my passport back in a few weeks.
Most unfortunate.

Rule #1 of UK immigration - don't rely on helpline. (Inconsistent, often unreliable and unaccountable).

Yes, you can apply again.

Don't be too hard on yourself, its not a tricky case but many people do get caught out.
Here's another one from this week:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... l#p1390502

harridan6
Newly Registered

Post by harridan6 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:15 pm

I just don't know how I could've missed this. :/

I think I'll just get my mum and sister to apply, so we can submit our applications as dependents, end of story.
But, if I started full-time work after university and am no longer dependent on my parent, how should I go about it? Still apply as a dependent but also fill in the employment section?
Does anyone happen to know?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:37 pm

harridan6 wrote:I just don't know how I could've missed this. :/

I think I'll just get my mum and sister to apply, so we can submit our applications as dependents, end of story.
But, if I started full-time work after university and am no longer dependent on my parent, how should I go about it? Still apply as a dependent but also fill in the employment section?
Does anyone happen to know?
If you are a worker you can apply in your own right as your PR clock will have started up (from zero) - apply after 5 years of exercising treaty rights continuously.
Note assumes UK is still in EU by then.

harridan6
Newly Registered

Post by harridan6 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:14 pm

Well, is there really no way for me to apply if I haven't always been a worker but no longer am a dependent?

It's easy for you to say this, what if Britain isn't in the EU in 3 years? I've lived here for 6, these 6 years is my entire adult life. I have built a life for myself here since, here I have friends, I've only ever worked in the UK, my uni certificate is from the UK as well. My home is here now, otherwise I wouldn't even have been bothered applying in the first place. Not to mention that the economic situation in my country of birth is pure shite, so I can't really go back. I'd have to move over to Ireland, I can't see myself living in a non-English speaking country.

This is so frustrating, why let whole families in only to then force them to move away? Unless after Brexit the government gives us some sort of a green card allowing us to stay...

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:20 pm

harridan6 wrote:Well, is there really no way for me to apply if I haven't always been a worker but no longer am a dependent?

It's easy for you to say this, what if Britain isn't in the EU in 3 years? I've lived here for 6, these 6 years is my entire adult life. I have built a life for myself here since, here I have friends, I've only ever worked in the UK, my uni certificate is from the UK as well. My home is here now, otherwise I wouldn't even have been bothered applying in the first place. Not to mention that the economic situation in my country of birth is pure shite, so I can't really go back. I'd have to move over to Ireland, I can't see myself living in a non-English speaking country.

This is so frustrating, why let whole families in only to then force them to move away? Unless after Brexit the government gives us some sort of a green card allowing us to stay...
I feel your pain - I've had skin in the game too but on UK domestic route;
and the EU trajectory is actually a walk in the park compared to those unfortunate to be on UK domestic route (as my family was).

Its the great British public (well 17m of them) who took this decision not the HO.

If UK is not in EU in 3 or 6 years you will have to rely on transitional arrangements (same as 000s of others still 'in flight'); whether you get a 'green card' is going to be down to the traditional British sense of fair play, if you will.
(All yet to be announced).

Get EEA(QP) for now, if nothing else.

harridan6
Newly Registered

Post by harridan6 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:39 pm

What is it?

I really don't see why I can't apply for the permanent residence as a dependent now... sure enough a lot of people came over here in their teens and lived with their parents etc and then started work and moved out? Who should I contact best to advise if I can actually do that? An immigration lawyer? Sure enough not the HO advisers as they've no clue...

Grodan
Newly Registered

Post by Grodan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:59 pm

harridan6,

I am so sorry for being the harbinger of bad news, however I know so many that have been caught out by the stupid CSI rule that I feel we have to tell as many as possible as soon as possible so we can check the alternatives and fix what can be fixed.

It is unlikely that the UK will be able to leave before you get 5 full years in your own right, you might be able to combine sponsor for three years and worker for two years, you could try an appeal adding your parents details etc there are a few things to hope for. It is also possible that the UK decides to negotiate with EU so we are allowed to stay. Don't give up, there's always hope.

Also in the meantime tell everyone you know about CSI.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:03 pm

harridan6 wrote:What is it?

I really don't see why I can't apply for the permanent residence as a dependent now... sure enough a lot of people came over here in their teens and lived with their parents etc and then started work and moved out? Who should I contact best to advise if I can actually do that? An immigration lawyer? Sure enough not the HO advisers as they've no clue...
Ofcourse you can if you have a sponsor.

Take responsibility for your case instead of railing against well-publicised and well-documented requirements and regulations.

Post your timeline and that of your sponsor.
Any prolonged absence (either party)?
Collate your evidence;
If sponsor is A8 check were they fully and properly registered for WRS if working during/before 2011;
Try filling in application form;
See how it shapes up;

harridan6
Newly Registered

Post by harridan6 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:33 pm

noajthan wrote:Ofcourse you can if you have a sponsor.
Thanks, that is very good news. I wonder if me and my family can submit an application together, with me outlining my employment history after school - but I will check that with a proper immigration advisor this time, just to be 100% certain.
noajthan wrote:Take responsibility for your case instead of railing against well-publicised and well-documented requirements and regulations.
Now there's no need to be cheeky - have I not admitted that I should have checked all the notes better?
I'm just disappointed that I was wrongly advised by the Home Office CSAs, even though I described my situation in detail etc. - I wish they were better informed and provided me with apropriate information. I work with customers and that is what I consider good assistance. Having that said, I still should have double-checked and at least I will know for the future. Moreover, I will be able to tell my friends about this private insurance matter, as I don't think any of them is aware of such a requirement.

Anyway, thanks very much for your advice, it has been very helpful!

My mum has lived and worked in the UK for the past 7 years, she was registered with the WRS until 2011, she always worked and she never left the country for more than a few days for holiday. I hope that Home Office accepts her as my sponsor...

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:35 pm

harridan6 wrote:
noajthan wrote:Ofcourse you can if you have a sponsor.
Thanks, that is very good news. I wonder if me and my family can submit an application together, with me outlining my employment history after school - but I will check that with a proper immigration advisor this time, just to be 100% certain.
noajthan wrote:Take responsibility for your case instead of railing against well-publicised and well-documented requirements and regulations.
Now there's no need to be cheeky - have I not admitted that I should have checked all the notes better?
I'm just disappointed that I was wrongly advised by the Home Office CSAs, even though I described my situation in detail etc. - I wish they were better informed and provided me with apropriate information. I work with customers and that is what I consider good assistance. Having that said, I still should have double-checked and at least I will know for the future. Moreover, I will be able to tell my friends about this private insurance matter, as I don't think any of them is aware of such a requirement.

Anyway, thanks very much for your advice, it has been very helpful!

My mum has lived and worked in the UK for the past 7 years, she was registered with the WRS until 2011, she always worked and she never left the country for more than a few days for holiday. I hope that Home Office accepts her as my sponsor...
Sponsor sounds exemplary.
If you rely on sponsor your activity is immaterial - that's the point of doing it that way.
You can only combine applications if sponsor is sponsor for all of whoever the applicants are, including you.

HO play hard ball and don't take any prisoners. You will not get benefit of doubt.
I have gone easy on you, yet with rock-solid (if not unimpeachable) advice.
If you think good cop/bad cop, I'm the good cop.

Remember this is potentially life-changing and, with Brexit looming, you won't get many shots in - so think: one shot.

Have you printed form out yet?
Collate timelines - yours and moms.
Empty out drawers and suitcase to gather supporting evidence.

harridan6
Newly Registered

Post by harridan6 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:52 pm

Haven't printed the form out yet, I only found out today that I most likely will need to apply again. :/ I have it saved as a pdf though, so I have all the pages for reference.

So, ideally it would be me, my mum and my sister applying together with our mum as the sponsor. I would need to specify that I became independent at some point, my sister doesn't work yet.

My mom came over here in 2009, she's got her WRS certificate and all her work-related documents, she'll have bank statements too, for a time she received Child Benefit and the Tax Credit because we were in school and under 20 (well, my sister still is).

Do you reckon I should consult a lawyer or perhaps a Citizen's Advice Bureau (I'm not sure how trustworthy they are)? Just as well I found this board so maybe I'll be able to post some tough questions on here. Obviously, I'll pay more attention to all the notes and details this time around, but I wouldn't like another stupid mistake.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:59 pm

harridan6 wrote:Haven't printed the form out yet, I only found out today that I most likely will need to apply again. :/ I have it saved as a pdf though, so I have all the pages for reference.

So, ideally it would be me, my mum and my sister applying together with our mum as the sponsor. I would need to specify that I became independent at some point, my sister doesn't work yet.

My mom came over here in 2009, she's got her WRS certificate and all her work-related documents, she'll have bank statements too, for a time she received Child Benefit and the Tax Credit because we were in school and under 20 (well, my sister still is).

Do you reckon I should consult a lawyer or perhaps a Citizen's Advice Bureau (I'm not sure how trustworthy they are)? Just as well I found this board so maybe I'll be able to post some tough questions on here. Obviously, I'll pay more attention to all the notes and details this time around, but I wouldn't like another stupid mistake.
Many people are capable of formulating these applications without a representative, you just need to be organised and methodical.
You can find a representative via Law Society and/or OISC websites if you wish to.

Not sure CAB will help you fill the forms, it probably varies from place to place.
Alternately, seek out a migrant support centre if there is one in your area.

harridan6
Newly Registered

Post by harridan6 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:53 am

noajthan and everyone else - thanks so much for your advice people, you have been immensely helpful! Wish I had come across this forum a few months earlier (and that I were more careful with the side notes, but that's a different story, lol).

One last question: I now am pretty sure that my application is going to be declined as I applied as an individual but never had a CSI. Does it make sense for me to request my passport back now (I could then go to my birth country and make an alternative ID, I wouldn't have to worry about my holiday either, and my money is lost already anyway), or would that possibly hinder my future application? I wouldn't like to sabotage my application next year...

noajthan

Re: Application for PR - no CSI

Post by noajthan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:31 am

To avoid confusion & jumbled responses, I have moved your question to its own thread (this one).

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:40 am

harridan6 wrote:noajthan and everyone else - thanks so much for your advice people, you have been immensely helpful! Wish I had come across this forum a few months earlier (and that I were more careful with the side notes, but that's a different story, lol).

One last question: I now am pretty sure that my application is going to be declined as I applied as an individual but never had a CSI. Does it make sense for me to request my passport back now (I could then go to my birth country and make an alternative ID, I wouldn't have to worry about my holiday either, and my money is lost already anyway), or would that possibly hinder my future application? I wouldn't like to sabotage my application next year...
You can request return of documents/passport.
No impact on future application.
Its up to HO if they comply.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:01 am

A longshot, but worth checking out:
if you have an EEA parent in UK who has been a qualified person over the past 5 years or so you may be able to apply for confirmation of PR with them as your sponsor (and you as their dependent direct family member).

harridan6
Newly Registered

Post by harridan6 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:52 pm

Thanks!

That's what I've wanted to do. The situation looks like this: my parent came to work in the UK in 2009. She worked continuously for a year, she got registered with WRS etc. I arrived in the UK in 2010 and was in full-time education for 5 years while living with my parent. I didn't work until 2012 when I got a part-time job, then I worked mostly part-time until 2015 and my graduation. From then until now I have worked full-time and therefore been self-sufficient and a migrant worker. But during the required period of 5 years I actually was dependent on my parent. I actually rang HO today and I was advised to do that. The advisor told me that I should have applied as a dependent in the first place (but then, as you said, they aren't always reliable).