ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refugee ILR Can travel to own country & BC questions?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Snowflake48

Refugee ILR Can travel to own country & BC questions?

Post by Snowflake48 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi guys, please help me.. I'm also in the same situation. I'm refugee>ilr.i had a travel document which expired now but My home country issued a passport. I want to go and see my mom. But will this affect my British citzenship? Or will I have trouble in the airport?

noajthan

Re: Refugee ILR Can travel to own country & BC questions?

Post by noajthan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:59 am

If you reengage and place yourself under the protection of your homeland/home government it may bring the question of your status into question.

You can dig into this vital question of voluntary re-availment (and its consequences) in HO guidance, here:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... P_R2MyeFlw
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:13 pm

Nuchi wrote:Hi guys, please help me.. I'm also in the same situation. I'm refugee>ilr.i had a travel document which expired now but My home country issued a passport. I want to go and see my mom. But will this affect my British citzenship? Or will I have trouble in the airport?
Isn't it dangerous for you to visit your home country?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:51 pm

Hi Nuchi - I would suggest you wait an extra year and get BC. Once you have obtained a British passport, you are free to travel as you see fit.

If you need to travel urgently while on ILR, I would suggest using a renewed UK travel document. If you obtain your home country passport, you could be at risk for some action at the airport on return (but debatable). Also, you should not travel to your home country unless there is an emergency and you should seek permission from UKBA/Home Office before doing so. My suggestion would be to travel to a neighbouring country to your "home" country and ask your family to meet you there. That would be the best scenario and you would not be breaking any rules.

All the best.

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:54 pm

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Nuchi wrote:i had a travel document which expired now...
What travel document did you have?
Nuchi wrote:...but My home country issued a passport.
Were you originally seeking protection from that government? If so, has the situation demonstrably changed so that you, and all others in your situation from your country, are now safe to return? Was this the case when you got passport?

Snowflake48

Post by Snowflake48 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:19 am

Thanx a lot guys for your reply. I got my refugee status on a religious matter not on a political issue. I did try to sponsor my mom here several time and it got rejected. I didn't see her for nearly 10 years now. I believe it's too risky to go back to the country and the home office will take back my ilr. It's just a thought of going back and see the family.

Anyway thanks again for your replies...I really appreciate it.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:02 am

Is there a country nearby to your home country that you could meet at? Friends of mine's parents had to do this to see their brother when the quarantine for Ebola was going on in Sierra Leone.

Snowflake48

Post by Snowflake48 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:56 am

Noetic wrote:Is there a country nearby to your home country that you could meet at? Friends of mine's parents had to do this to see their brother when the quarantine for Ebola was going on in Sierra Leone.
That's what I thought, I'm planning to go to Malaysia or Singapore to meet her. I can apply for British citzenship in 2017 July.. Even after I received it there's a problem of going back to my country. My husband has leave to remain 2.5 visa on partners 10 year route. He has to renew it in 2018 July for the 3rd time. I think If I go back to my country home office will cancel his visa. Because in the application form there are questions regarding why both you can't go and live on your native country, where did all you visit for holidays, etc..

This path gonna be a long and hard wait. Anyway thank you for your reply..

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:01 am

Nuchi wrote:That's what I thought, I'm planning to go to Malaysia or Singapore to meet her. I can apply for British citzenship in 2017 July.. Even after I received it there's a problem of going back to my country. My husband has leave to remain 2.5 visa on partners 10 year route. He has to renew it in 2018 July for the 3rd time. I think If I go back to my country home office will cancel his visa. Because in the application form there are questions regarding why both you can't go and live on your native country, where did all you visit for holidays, etc..

Note you have already reentered the protection of your government by taking or receiving the passport.

Snowflake48

Post by Snowflake48 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:31 am

noajthan wrote:
Nuchi wrote:That's what I thought, I'm planning to go to Malaysia or Singapore to meet her. I can apply for British citzenship in 2017 July.. Even after I received it there's a problem of going back to my country. My husband has leave to remain 2.5 visa on partners 10 year route. He has to renew it in 2018 July for the 3rd time. I think If I go back to my country home office will cancel his visa. Because in the application form there are questions regarding why both you can't go and live on your native country, where did all you visit for holidays, etc..

Note you have already reentered the protection of your government by taking or receiving the passport.

Even though I'm not travelling to my native country, do you think it may cause problem of taking the passport? I can't travel to other countries in certificate of travel, it's not recognised in most countries... I'm getting worried now :cry:

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Nuchi wrote:
noajthan wrote: Note you have already reentered the protection of your government by taking or receiving the passport.

Even though I'm not travelling to my native country, do you think it may cause problem of taking the passport? I can't travel to other countries in certificate of travel, it's not recognised in most countries... I'm getting worried now :cry:
This is why I posed those questions earlier (which you did not answer). If you were seeking protection from persecution by your former government, then availing yourself to them (by getting a passport for example) pretty much invalidates your original asylum claim, unless the situation has changed in such a substantial manner that what your were fleeing from (life/death persecution from your government) is no longer a concern. That is something that should be very demonstrable as it would probably have involved a change of your former government and been in the international press. If it was the case that your regional situation had collapsed to the point where the government couldn't protect even though it would if it could (Syria for example), then the situation is still murky, depending on what exactly your claim was, but atleast might be defensible.

Could you elaborate on your original claim?

Snowflake48

Re: Refugee ILR Can travel to own country & BC questions?ous

Post by Snowflake48 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:15 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
Nuchi wrote:
noajthan wrote: Note you have already reentered the protection of your government by taking or receiving the passport.

This is why I posed those questions earlier (which you did not answer). If you were seeking protection from persecution by your former government, then availing yourself to them (by getting a passport for example) pretty much invalidates your original asylum claim, unless the situation has changed in such a substantial manner that what your were fleeing from (life/death persecution from your government) is no longer a concern. That is something that should be very demonstrable as it would probably have involved a change of your former government and been in the international press. If it was the case that your regional situation had collapsed to the point where the government couldn't protect even though it would if it could (Syria for example), then the situation is still murky, depending on what exactly your claim was, but atleast might be defensible.

Could you elaborate on your original claim?
I'm really sorry, I missed your question earlier. My asylum claim was made regarding a releigous issue not under the political situation.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Even if getting the passport from an embassy in the UK where it's unlikely OP will be persecuted on religious grounds?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Noetic wrote:
Even if getting the passport from an embassy in the UK where it's unlikely OP will be persecuted on religious grounds?
My understanding is it depends on whom is persecuting whom.
I have no information on whether there is state-sponsored religious persecution in OP's country. Or even which country that may be.

The HO guidance is posted above - OP and interested readers may check there for likely UK stance on such vital questions.

Snowflake48

Post by Snowflake48 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Ok I will break the ice.. My asylum claim on a forced marriage from a South Asia country. I broke a religious rule and shamed them... I have decided not to go there...but I want to travel Some other countries. Certificate of travel not valid for those countries and my embassy didn't reject my application.

Do you guys really think homeoffice will turn down my BC application cause of I gained a native passport?

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:11 pm

Nuchi - If i was you, I would go and get that home country passport cancelled. I don't think you would want to risk BC after all these years spent in the UK. Just wait for your naturalisation and British passport and then you can travel as you see fit. All the best.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:37 pm

Nuchi wrote:Ok I will break the ice.. My asylum claim on a forced marriage from a South Asia country. I broke a religious rule and shamed them... I have decided not to go there...but I want to travel Some other countries. Certificate of travel not valid for those countries and my embassy didn't reject my application.

Do you guys really think homeoffice will turn down my BC application cause of I gained a native passport?
You can get asylum just for that? Jesus....

Snowflake48

Post by Snowflake48 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:23 am

JohnnyZee wrote:Nuchi - If i was you, I would go and get that home country passport cancelled. I don't think you would want to risk BC after all these years spent in the UK. Just wait for your naturalisation and British passport and then you can travel as you see fit. All the best.
Thank you and I appreciate your advice :)

Snowflake48

Post by Snowflake48 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:25 am

Wanderer wrote:
Nuchi wrote:Ok I will break the ice.. My asylum claim on a forced marriage from a South Asia country. I broke a religious rule and shamed them... I have decided not to go there...but I want to travel Some other countries. Certificate of travel not valid for those countries and my embassy didn't reject my application.

I just briefed it, there are much more to this,

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:03 pm

Wanderer wrote:

Wanderer - This is not the first time you are commenting in such a derogatory way towards refugees. You are in no position to judge. Please try to reserve your comments for when you have something valuable to add. Many thanks.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:11 pm

JohnnyZee wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Wanderer - This is not the first time you are commenting in such a derogatory way towards refugees. You are in no position to judge. Please try to reserve your comments for when you have something valuable to add. Many thanks.
Nothing against the OP or refugees, just the daft way we have to mop up after the messes created by other countries intolerant belief systems...

JohnnyZee

Post by JohnnyZee » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:57 pm

Nothing against the OP or refugees, just the daft way we have to mop up after the messes created by other countries intolerant belief systems...
Regardless of your views, we are here to help one other on topics of immigration. This is not a forum to discuss politics and judge other people/countries/beliefs. And talking of intolerance, some may view the banning of burkinis in the coastal cities of Europe "intolerant". So let's not open that can of worms. We stay focussed on the job at hand - advice on immigration!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:20 pm

JohnnyZee wrote:
Regardless of your views, we are here to help one other on topics of immigration. This is not a forum to discuss politics and judge other people/countries/beliefs. And talking of intolerance, some may view the banning of burkinis in the coastal cities of Europe "intolerant". So let's not open that can of worms. We stay focussed on the job at hand - advice on immigration!
Well, I had been on the McEwans Champion Ale last night!! Last week here before I start work in Denmark. Apologies!