ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Application Reconsideration UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

major2016
Newly Registered

Naturalisation Application Reconsideration UK

Post by major2016 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:22 am

Hi, I received indefinite leave to remain in July 2013 on 14 year long residency rule, which makes 3 years now and got married to an English citizen 11 months ago. About 6 weeks ago I applied for Naturalisation on basis of married to uk citizen and fulfilling been least 3 years in uk requirement and had biometrics on 23 Aug 2016. But yesterday i received a letter of refusal as i worked illegally during my 14 years and therefore not compliant with UK immigration laws during this period which is explained in the Annex D Paragraph 9.7(c) of Chapter 18 of AN booklet. I am writing to seek advise if there is a possibility of reconsideration if apply for one. Any advise much appreciated.

Thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Naturalisation Application Reconsideration UK

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:36 am

You can only be considered for naturalisation when you have been ten years without illegal working.

No point in challenging it unless you didn't work illegally....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:21 am

I agree with Wanderer. The refusal was correct.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:55 am

One of the requirements for naturalisation is that you are "of good character".

Periods of staying in the UK illegally count against your good character and typically invite a 10 year ban.
Section 9.5 of [url=https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/406368/Chapter_18_Annex_D_v02.pdf]The Good Character Requirement[/url] wrote:In circumstances where an applicant entered the UK illegally, an application for citizenship should normally be refused for a period of 10 years from the date of entry, if it is known. If it is not known, the period of 10 years starts from the date on which the person first brought themselves to or came to the attention of the Home Office.
So, in effect, you need 10 years of staying legally in the UK before applying for British citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

KASHIF830

Post by KASHIF830 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:37 am

major2016 wrote:Hi, I received indefinite leave to remain in July 2013 on 14 year long residency rule, which makes 3 years now and got married to an English citizen 11 months ago. About 6 weeks ago I applied for Naturalisation on basis of married to uk citizen and fulfilling been least 3 years in uk requirement and had biometrics on 23 Aug 2016. But yesterday i received a letter of refusal as i worked illegally during my 14 years and therefore not compliant with UK immigration laws during this period which is explained in the Annex D Paragraph 9.7(c) of Chapter 18 of AN booklet. I am writing to seek advise if there is a possibility of reconsideration if apply for one. Any advise much appreciated.

Hi

You did your biometric on 23rd August 2016 and in 2 days you got decision. How lucky your at least your application processed early ☺

Thanks

major2016
Newly Registered

Post by major2016 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:10 am

KASHIF830 wrote:
major2016 wrote:Hi, I received indefinite leave to remain in July 2013 on 14 year long residency rule, which makes 3 years now and got married to an English citizen 11 months ago. About 6 weeks ago I applied for Naturalisation on basis of married to uk citizen and fulfilling been least 3 years in uk requirement and had biometrics on 23 July 2016. But yesterday i received a letter of refusal as i worked illegally during my 14 years and therefore not compliant with UK immigration laws during this period which is explained in the Annex D Paragraph 9.7(c) of Chapter 18 of AN booklet. I am writing to seek advise if there is a possibility of reconsideration if apply for one. Any advise much appreciated.

Hi

You did your biometric on 23rd August 2016 and in 2 days you got decision. How lucky your at least your application processed early ☺

Thanks