ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Supporting Documents for OCI card holder's foreign spouse

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ran

Supporting Documents for OCI card holder's foreign spouse

Post by ran » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:55 pm

Hi all,

Hope your day is going well.

I had a quick query regarding the supporting documents required for the Application of an OCI card by a foreign spouse (no Indian heritage) of an OCI card holder. We have thoroughly looked into the guidelines on the VFS website and also talked to their telephone advisors.
But there seems to be a confusion regarding whether address proof is required or not.
As per my understanding from the VFS website guidelines it is not required but the phone advisors have given me a mixed response.
I would be very grateful for any feedback regarding the above. I have prepared the following documentation:
1) Wife's passport
2) Wife's BC and translation to English
3) Our marriage certificate
4) My British passport
5) My OCI card

Many thanks for your help and advice, as always.

Regards,
Ran

rmukherjee
United Kingdom

Re: Supporting Documents for OCI card holder's foreign spous

Post by rmukherjee » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:53 am

Looks like the key thing for OCI on the basis of spouse being an OCI holder is that the spouse must not have held Pakistani or Bangladeshi citizenship, and that the marriage is a subsisting one of at least 2 years.

The birth certificate helps prove (the lack of) Pakistani or Bangladesh citizenship. I would argue that even if it's not very clear or asked for, it makes sense from a precautionary point of view to give one or more address proofs of both yourself and your wife to prove that you live at the same address, which is one of the key characteristics of a subsisting marriage. On a similar note, the UK Home Office used to (maybe still does?) ask for a lot of address proofs to prove cohabition during ILR applications.

So it'd definitely be useful to give some address proofs for both yourself and your wife.