ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for EEA citizen, when can I apply?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nutmeg
Newly Registered

Naturalisation for EEA citizen, when can I apply?

Post by Nutmeg » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:05 am

Hi all,

My case is really simple:

- Italian citizen
- Moved to the UK in October 2010
- Obtained a permanent residence (PR) card in January 2016.
- Always been a student. I had a comprehensive sickness insurance for the whole time I exercised treaty rights. Now it has expired, but from what I could understand that shouldn't be an issue since I already got a PR card.

My question is: can I apply for naturalisation in October 2016 (i.e. after 5+1 years of continuous residence) or in January 2017 (i.e. one year after my PR card has been issued)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

akz

Re: Naturalisation for EEA citizen, when can I apply?

Post by akz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:31 am

you can apply as soon you get your PR card, but you need to to pass life in the UK test and english language test, this guide may hel you https://www.freemovement.org.uk/eu-nati ... lications/
Happy to help and Happy to be helped

Nutmeg
Newly Registered

Post by Nutmeg » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:53 am

akz wrote:you can apply as soon you get your PR card, but you need to to pass life in the UK test and english language test, this guide may hel you https://www.freemovement.org.uk/eu-nati ... lications/
Hi akz,

Thanks for the information! The post mentions that although I would have the right to apply in October, there have been cases of applications been rejected. Of course this is because the HO personnel may not be totally aware of the exact rules, but I might wait until January just to avoid the annoyance of having to appeal.

akz

Post by akz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:56 am

yes, in any refuse case you can loose a lot money so my advise will be wait until Jan 2017.

akz
Happy to help and Happy to be helped

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:36 pm

You can also do a Subject Access Request for £10 to check what date HO has on record for you attaining PR, you can send that off and prepare for the test in the meantime (you should be able to use the UK degree instead of an English test).

Kaalo1980

Post by Kaalo1980 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:20 am

Noetic wrote:You can also do a Subject Access Request for £10 to check what date HO has on record for you attaining PR, you can send that off and prepare for the test in the meantime (you should be able to use the UK degree instead of an English test).
Hi there
Can you share link of subject access request form??
Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:08 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.