ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please explain the PhD 8 years time limit/cap

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MSKF

Please explain the PhD 8 years time limit/cap

Post by MSKF » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Hello,

I am not sure if I am interpreting the time limit for PhD students properly. I have already studied for 6 years in the UK. So, if I apply for a PhD course now, given that I have never studied on this level before, would I be just fine?

Which interpretation is correct for the 8 year limit:

1. Level 0 - 7 + PhD = 8 years
2. Anything above level 7 + PhD = 8 years

?

Thanks

MSKF

Re: Please explain the PhD 8 years time limit/cap

Post by MSKF » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:34 pm

For what it's worth:

- I have done a foundation program(equivalent to year 1 of undergrad) from 2007-2008
- I have done MEng from 2008-2012
- I have done Post Graduate Diploma from 2012-2013

So a combined total of 6 years I guess. None of my courses were RESEARCH courses or Level 8(MRes/MPhil/PhD). They were all taught courses.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:19 pm

The 8-year cap is only relevant if you have already completed one of the courses listed in Appendix 5 of the Tier 4 Policy Guidance:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -4-student

Otherwise, a PhD is exempt from the cap.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

MSKF

Post by MSKF » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:46 pm

Thanks for the response. Glad to know that :D

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:52 pm

MSKF wrote:Glad to know that :D
The Tier 4 sponsor will of course need all the information about your previous studies, especially the MRes.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

MSKF

Post by MSKF » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:16 am

Well, I have never done any MRes/MPhil/PhD, therefore, my Tier 4 sponsor shouldn't have a problem in giving me the CAS letter.

MSKF

Visa interview / genuineness test?

Post by MSKF » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:33 am

Hello,

Let me start by giving my background:
- Engineering foudnation from 2007-2008
- MEng from 2008-12
- Postgraduate Diploma from 20012-13
- Applied for Tier 4 for a PhD which unfortunately started with MSc and got rejected due to the cap. That was the ONLY reason they quoted for the refusal. 2014
- Applied in Canada and they wanted me to start with a Masters and the visa officer didn't take kindly to that. 2015

After a lot of back and forth with some professors in the UK, I have 2 potential PhD offers. I have the money and will have the CAS. I am now worried about the interview. Do you think that my study gap in the last few years will be turned into a reason for rejection by the immigration/visa officers?

I have previously given the interview over the phone as the system at the visa center broke down on the day of my submission. They asked me the most obvious of all questions and we kinda had a nice little chat about my course and education history in the UK. It took me a lot of work, self studying, communication to secure the 2 possible PhD offers. I don't want some stupid visa officer to reject me saying shit like "you have a few years of gap year therefore I do not think you are a genuine student". That would be beyond sad.

P.S. My academic records are pretty good. I have a 1st class MEng degree.

MSKF

PLZ TELL ME IF ANYONE GET INTERVIEW AND GOT VISA

Post by MSKF » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:40 am

I was interviewed in 2014 and got refused. HOWEVER, the refusal had nothing to do with the interview. They refused me due to the 5 year cap. They only ever wanted to know about what I did in the UK previously and what I want to go there to do. It wasn't really anything to be nervous about AT ALL unless you are not a genuine student. Go through your course website and see what they will teach you there. Talk to the interviewer about them. You should know all that as a genuine student anyway. Who signs up for a degree without not knowing that?

MSKF

Re: Visa interview / genuineness test?

Post by MSKF » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:44 am

UPDATE: Got the visa.