ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my ILR status be revoked?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

startingover
Newly Registered

Can my ILR status be revoked?

Post by startingover » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:37 am

I recently obtained my ILR after completing my 2 year probationary period as the wife of a South African with dual British citizenship. There have been huge difficulties during the marriage and at one point I nearly returned home but we decided to try and make it work. However, I recently moved out after my husband stated he wants us to move to another country. He is now threatening to report me to the immigration department in order to have my ILR revoked on the basis that I 'deceived' him. He now maintains that I only married him in order to gain ILR. This is totally untrue as our relationship was well established at least 2 years prior to our marriage and I have joint rental agreements for that period as proof. In fact they formed part of the documentation needed to gain my 2 year entry clearance. Should I be worried?

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:40 am

I wouldn't worry.

If you have gained ILR by deception then yes, the ILR can be revoked. But they will not take his word for it - they will look at the evidence and speak to you and will come to a fair decision. I would guess that, with an establised relationship of 2 years prior to coming here, they won't even bother investigating his complaint.

He is bluffing. Tell him to get stuffed.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

startingover
Newly Registered

Post by startingover » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:16 am

VictoriaS wrote:I wouldn't worry.

If you have gained ILR by deception then yes, the ILR can be revoked. But they will not take his word for it - they will look at the evidence and speak to you and will come to a fair decision. I would guess that, with an establised relationship of 2 years prior to coming here, they won't even bother investigating his complaint.

He is bluffing. Tell him to get stuffed.

Victoria
Ok. Thanks for that. At least it sounds like I will get a fair hearing if he does lay a complaint.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:55 am

I have no doubt that the Home Office must receive thousands of these sorts of revenge complaints and they must surely treat them with the contempt they deserve, they definitely do not have the resources to investigate every complaint from a jilted spouse! Certainly much more evidence would be needed to start an investigation than just mere hearsay.

Once you have ILR, that's it. You can get divorced, seperate, etc without any fear of losing your ILR status. So relax!
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:30 pm

startingover, after you got your ILR, how long was it before you moved out?
John

ilm

Post by ilm » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:45 pm

I recently moved out after my husband stated he wants us to move to another country.
Hardly sounds like a reason to leave your husband to me. You have already left one country to be with him?

Shouldn't you be more worried about your marriage than your ILR?

The facts have been answered to you by others however I would possibly be of the same opinion as your husband based on the limited facts you have provided.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:15 pm

ilm - please refrain from making judgements. Moving to a new and unfamiliar country is a difficult thing to do once, and once done it is perfectly reasonable that this lady doesn't want to be relocated once again.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

jimquk
United Kingdom

Post by jimquk » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:11 pm

I wouldn't worry about your husband, nor about the small minority of judgmental people out there. However, for the record, do remember that ILR can be revoked on grounds of deception, long absence from the country, and serious criminal convictions. Therefore, it is worth thinking about obtaining British Citizenship at the earliest opportunity, just to be on the safe side.

If your husband persists in claiming that your ILR was obtained by deception, he will need to explain his own role in that deception, as your sponsor. But seriously, the Home Office have got more to worry about than vindictive ex-spouses. Be condfident in your dealings with him.
The Refused are coming day-by-day nearer to freedom.

startingover
Newly Registered

Post by startingover » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 pm

John wrote:startingover, after you got your ILR, how long was it before you moved out?
One month. His announcement that we would be moving to Bulgaria was the last straw that broke this camel's back. As i mentioned in my previously the marriage has not been without its problems. To put it succinctly, he is a chauvenist. I had to battle for the right to have my own car, paid with my own money. I had to fight to get my own bank account. He rather liked the idea of my money going into a 'joint' account to which I only had access when he was present as he was my only means of transport. As a mature and previously independent woman I was suddenly reduced to the role of a child. There are many stories that abound on this site about the poor exploited sponsor. Believe me there are many like myself who marry in good faith only to find that the charming husband/wife turns into a despot who uses the 2 year entry clearance period as a weapon for maintaining absolute control over their partner. As the expiry date for my visa approached we agreed to put the past behind us and start afresh - but I aint going to Bulgaria!