ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What sort of visa/process for wife

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

geezer
Newly Registered

What sort of visa/process for wife

Post by geezer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:47 pm

Dear Esteemed members,

My wife is a non-EU national working in Sweden on a work permit. We got married a few months ago in Denmark and have our wedding certificates. I am a British national. Our aim is for her to move her to join me as I have a job and home here.

Having read and re-read I am getting more and more confused; so far I understand

1. Wife needs to do English test (Which one of the so many types confusing!!)
2. Apply using the correct forms (Again some confusion)
3. Pay fees
4. I should have a job (earning above the 20K mark)
5. I have my house (on mortgage)

Also how long is the typical time for this and can the wife work in the UK without another visa or permit if she gets this. And then how long is it for her to get a passport?

Sorry for all the questions, many sleepless nights reading the stuff.

My many many thanks.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: What sort of visa/process for wife

Post by Casa » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:57 pm

geezer wrote:Dear Esteemed members,

My wife is a non-EU national working in Sweden on a work permit. We got married a few months ago in Denmark and have our wedding certificates. I am a British national. Our aim is for her to move her to join me as I have a job and home here.

Having read and re-read I am getting more and more confused; so far I understand

1. Wife needs to do English test (Which one of the so many types confusing!!) A1 level English from a UKVI approved test provider.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... entres.pdf
2. Apply using the correct forms (Again some confusion) https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility
3. Pay fees £1195 visa fee + £600 NHS surcharge
4. I should have a job (earning above the 20K mark) Minimum income of £18,600 p.a - 6 months payslips + 6 months corresponding bank statements
5. I have my house (on mortgage) Fine. You'll need to submit a copy of your mortgage agreement.

Also how long is the typical time for this and can the wife work in the UK without another visa or permit if she gets this. And then how long is it for her to get a passport? 2.5 years after which she will have to submit an application for a 2.5 year extension before qualifying for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) - 5 years in total.
After being granted ILR as the spouse of a British citizen under current rules, your wife would qualify for British citizenship, assuming she meets all the standard requirements. Only after being granted BC (and attending her citizenship ceremony) would she be able to apply for a British passport.

My many many thanks.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Do you, the British citizen, ordinarily reside in the UK or are you exercising treaty rights (by working, for example) in another EEA country, such as Sweden or Denmark?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

geezer
Newly Registered

Post by geezer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Casa wrote:
geezer wrote:Dear Esteemed members,

1. Wife needs to do English test (Which one of the so many types confusing!!) A1 level English from a UKVI approved test provider.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... entres.pdf
2. Apply using the correct forms (Again some confusion) https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility
3. Pay fees £1195 visa fee + £600 NHS surcharge
4. I should have a job (earning above the 20K mark) Minimum income of £18,600 p.a - 6 months payslips + 6 months corresponding bank statements
5. I have my house (on mortgage) Fine. You'll need to submit a copy of your mortgage agreement.

Also how long is the typical time for this and can the wife work in the UK without another visa or permit if she gets this. And then how long is it for her to get a passport? 2.5 years after which she will have to submit an application for a 2.5 year extension before qualifying for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) - 5 years in total.
After being granted ILR as the spouse of a British citizen under current rules, your wife would qualify for British citizenship, assuming she meets all the standard requirements. Only after being granted BC (and attending her citizenship ceremony) would she be able to apply for a British passport.

My many many thanks.
Thank you so much for your kind help

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:56 pm

secret.simon wrote:Do you, the British citizen, ordinarily reside in the UK or are you exercising treaty rights (by working, for example) in another EEA country, such as Sweden or Denmark?
Important question here from secret.simon. Depending on the answer, it may give you a simpler & far cheaper route to settlement in the U. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

geezer
Newly Registered

Post by geezer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:56 am

Casa wrote:
secret.simon wrote:Do you, the British citizen, ordinarily reside in the UK or are you exercising treaty rights (by working, for example) in another EEA country, such as Sweden or Denmark?
Important question here from secret.simon. Depending on the answer, it may give you a simpler & far cheaper route to settlement in the U. :idea:

Thanks, must have missed this sorry.

I reside and work in the UK, but my wife resides and works in Sweden with a work visa. I am all ears, please do tell :)

Many thanks

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:16 pm

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:36 pm

In addition to user 'ohara' link on the route, this will only work if YOU as the BC exercises treaty rights in another EU member state other than the UK.

Bear in mind also that with Brexit, there is likely insufficient time for your spouse to get PR using this route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.