ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

unemployment benefit

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rogerroger
Member of Standing

unemployment benefit

Post by rogerroger » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:47 pm

Hi
Me and wife got residency in August, yippie!!. My wife is a doctor and has done the PLABs and is waiting for her first attachment, can she claim unemployment benefit since she does not have a job and is a resident of the U.K. still she starts earning?

vivekR

Contributory JSA

Post by vivekR » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:01 pm

There is something called as Contributory JSA. That can be aaplied for. I do not know the details of that but even I am looking for information on that.

CJSA is the only benefit legally allowed to us, I think.

Moderators, your feedback on this topic will be appreciated.

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: unemployment benefit

Post by Chess » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:12 pm

rogerroger wrote:Hi
Me and wife got residency in August, yippie!!. My wife is a doctor and has done the PLABs and is waiting for her first attachment, can she claim unemployment benefit since she does not have a job and is a resident of the U.K. still she starts earning?
An ILR holder is entitled to claim JSA..

...In addition, any Immigrant may also claim benefits in EMERGENCY situations
Where there is a will there is a way.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:35 am

can you people tell me how my wife can apply for CJSA?

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:49 am

ok, i did a search on the good old net and came across this article
http://www.thesite.org.uk/homelawandmon ... sallowance

i don't know if there are any restrictions, if the person is married. my wife does not have a NI number having not worked here ever. is that a problem

the link says that

" Contact your local Jobcentre. You will be given a JSA claim pack and an appointment to discuss your job seekers' agreement. "

some whereon the site it also says
"
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit will be available for both.
"

does that mean i can apply for a council tax benefit recution ?

my wife should start working in a few months, but it will be good to have some monetary relief till then

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:45 am

rogerroger wrote:Hi
We understand your spouse is pursuing registration to practice medicine in the UK - what is your current occupation and on what basis did you acquire residency (ILR)?

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:31 am

i am an engineer and i gained ILR since i had completed 4 years on a 4 year work permit.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:36 am

i wouldn't recommend you to claim any benefits which are categorized as public funds as it may effect BC application...

george_by
Newly Registered

Post by george_by » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:26 am

olisun wrote:i wouldn't recommend you to claim any benefits which are categorized as public funds as it may effect BC application...
As soon as you have ILR, you can have any benefit you entitled to. It does not affect future BC application whatsoever.

It would be better for your wife to consult Jobcentre if she thinks she is entitled to Jobseekers Allowance. But it is not usually available to somebody who already arranged a job and waiting for it to start. JSA is paid to people who has not got a job and actively looking for one. Every fortnight she would have to visit Jobcentre, and prove that she applied for a number of jobs, show replies etc.

If she is seeking 'monetary relief' because your family income is very low, you may be able to get help in some different form. Again, she needs some advice - Citizen Advice Bureau or Benefits Agency may help.

George

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:42 pm

what is BC application? you mean british citizen application?

no she does not have any job offers at the moment? she is still waiting for her first job, she is first going to do this unpaid work called attachment. and then after a few months she will get a job.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:42 pm

rogerroger wrote:i am an engineer and i gained ILR since i had completed 4 years on a 4 year work permit.
Social security benefits require applicants to meet immigration, residency and income requirements as applicable. Based on my interpretation of your situation you may meet the initial two but not the 3rd criteria on the basis that your current family income and savings exceeds the threshold for support - unless you have lost your job (your response leads me to believe this is not the case) that gave you the ILR (remember the letter you submitted about employment being ongoing?).

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:45 pm

thanks for the information
i guess i will leave it at that then.