ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

milindsm

English Language Requirement

Post by milindsm » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi

Am I right in saying that although my degree and the letter from the University saying the degree was taught in English were accepted at the time of my visa extensions and my ILR, it won't be accepted at the time of Naturalisation anymore? Do I have to provide UK NARIC certificate? I still have print out of Point Based Calculator :)

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: English Language Requirement

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:29 pm

If the degree wasn't awarded by a UK university, you will need a NARIC ELA.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

milindsm

Post by milindsm » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:46 pm

As, has it changed recently? All my friends who applied earlier (the most recent is Marc-2016) just gave the letter from the university and a print out of PBS calculator. I just checked the fees on UK NARIC website £125 + VAT :(

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:48 pm

milindsm wrote:As, has it changed recently? All my friends who applied earlier (the most recent is Marc-2016) just gave the letter from the university and a print out of PBS calculator. I just checked the fees on UK NARIC website £125 + VAT :(
Yes it has. Since the 5th April 2016 the PBS calculator will no longer be accepted.

https://www.points.homeoffice.gov.uk/gu ... 6FC6C5B45C
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

milindsm

Post by milindsm » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:50 pm

I think taking the English language test would be much cheaper than that :)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:51 pm

milindsm wrote:I think taking the English language test would be much cheaper than that :)
Probably. See my edited link in my last post.
(Casa, not CR001)

milindsm

Post by milindsm » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:51 pm

But they accepted the letter from my University for all extensions and ILR.

milindsm

Post by milindsm » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:52 pm

Casa wrote:
milindsm wrote:I think taking the English language test would be much cheaper than that :)
Yup... Thanks!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:55 pm

milindsm wrote:
Casa wrote:
Yup... Thanks!
Changed on the stroke of midnight on 5/04 :(
(Casa, not CR001)

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:41 pm

Choice is yours but the cost is the same. English test will set you at £150, same as UK NARIC.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

anandpathak

Post by anandpathak » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:25 pm

milindsm wrote:Hi

Am I right in saying that although my degree and the letter from the University saying the degree was taught in English were accepted at the time of my visa extensions and my ILR, it won't be accepted at the time of Naturalisation anymore? Do I have to provide UK NARIC certificate? I still have print out of Point Based Calculator :)

I am wondering where is this information and confusion coming from.
In the UKBA guidence published in june 2016 , It clearly states :

Evidence of knowledge of Language and of Life in the UK
From 12th November 2015, we will only accept English language qualifications from
the Home Office approved list of acceptable qualifications.
You will need to provide both:
• Letter confirming success in the Life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by
the Test Supervisor;

and either
• a Home Office approved qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, from
the Secure English Language Test list. You should ensure that you state the
test number at section 1.23 of the form);
OR
• confirmation that you met the English language requirement, on or after 28th
October 2013, in order to obtain settlement

OR
• Your original degree certificate and one of the following:
1. An Academic Qualification Level statement (AQUALS) and English Language
Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from UK NARIC (these will show us that UK
NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK degree and
was taught in English).
2. An original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree
was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except
Canada), plus an Academic Qualification Level statement (AQUALS) from UK
NARIC confirming that your qualification is comparable to a UK degree OR

This clearly means that if you have got ILR after 28th October 2013 you need not have to submit any proof for English language .

Can anybody share me an authentic source from UKBA which says that you need to prove english capabilities even when you have proven it during ILR ( after Oct 2013)

Cheers
Anand

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:27 pm

UKBA was abolished in 2013.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

anandpathak

Post by anandpathak » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:52 pm

noajthan wrote:UKBA was abolished in 2013.
valid but not so relevant point :)
Please read UKBA as Home office and the AN Guidelines have been published by Home office in June 2016 and the same has been quoted by me in above post.

Would be happy if someone could share a Authentic source .

Saga

Post by Saga » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:28 am

Can anybody share me an authentic source from UKBA which says that you need to prove english capabilities even when you have proven it during ILR ( after Oct 2013)
I was asked for my English language exam letter in my NCS appointment even though I had obtained ILR after 28th Oct. 2013 and had checked the box accordingly.

tjoseph
Newly Registered

Post by tjoseph » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:01 am

While applying via NCS: I had to provide my degree certificate + NARIC letter recognizing that my degree is valid + NARIC letter stating that I meet the english language requirement (which was even required for my ILR application done last year). While booking an NCS appointment, they specifically mention about the degree certificate.

anandpathak

Post by anandpathak » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:46 pm

tjoseph wrote:While applying via NCS: I had to provide my degree certificate + NARIC letter recognizing that my degree is valid + NARIC letter stating that I meet the english language requirement (which was even required for my ILR application done last year). While booking an NCS appointment, they specifically mention about the degree certificate.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
You mentioned that NCS specifically asked for the Degree certificate. Can I say that NCS did NOT ask specifically for the NARIC certificate?
Secondly , It looks like some NCS have over Zealous staff who are insisting on NARIC certificate without understanding the Home Office rules for Naturalization. Where there is very clear mention in the guideline as well as the Application form , I dont know why there could be any confusion for the NARIC certificate for those who have already proven ( NOT EXEMPTED) that at the time of ILR after Oct2013.

Lastly , My friend called up Home office to check this and initially the Call centre guy said that NARIC certificate is necessary but after understand the complete picture, he said NARIC certificate or English language is not required as you have alreadt prooven that at the time of ILR and the same is clearly mentioned in the AN form.

Experts share your thoughts please including your recent personal experiences at NCS
Cheers
Anand

safatafa
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by safatafa » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:46 am

anandpathak wrote:
tjoseph wrote:While applying via NCS: I had to provide my degree certificate + NARIC letter recognizing that my degree is valid + NARIC letter stating that I meet the english language requirement (which was even required for my ILR application done last year). While booking an NCS appointment, they specifically mention about the degree certificate.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
You mentioned that NCS specifically asked for the Degree certificate. Can I say that NCS did NOT ask specifically for the NARIC certificate?
Secondly , It looks like some NCS have over Zealous staff who are insisting on NARIC certificate without understanding the Home Office rules for Naturalization. Where there is very clear mention in the guideline as well as the Application form , I dont know why there could be any confusion for the NARIC certificate for those who have already proven ( NOT EXEMPTED) that at the time of ILR after Oct2013.

Lastly , My friend called up Home office to check this and initially the Call centre guy said that NARIC certificate is necessary but after understand the complete picture, he said NARIC certificate or English language is not required as you have alreadt prooven that at the time of ILR and the same is clearly mentioned in the AN form.

Experts share your thoughts please including your recent personal experiences at NCS
Cheers
Anand
i second that anand, have been to NCS sandwell on the 6th, though i took my degree she never asked for my degree just looked at my brp to confirm if i got ILR after 2013(i did get ILR in July 2015) :D happy days.
took liuk and copies of passport thats it.

milindsm

Post by milindsm » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:13 pm

anandpathak wrote:
milindsm wrote:Hi

I am wondering where is this information and confusion coming from.
In the UKBA guidence published in june 2016 , It clearly states :

Evidence of knowledge of Language and of Life in the UK
From 12th November 2015, we will only accept English language qualifications from
the Home Office approved list of acceptable qualifications.
You will need to provide both:
• Letter confirming success in the Life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by
the Test Supervisor;

and either
• a Home Office approved qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, from
the Secure English Language Test list. You should ensure that you state the
test number at section 1.23 of the form);
OR
• confirmation that you met the English language requirement, on or after 28th
October 2013, in order to obtain settlement

OR
• Your original degree certificate and one of the following:
1. An Academic Qualification Level statement (AQUALS) and English Language
Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from UK NARIC (these will show us that UK
NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK degree and
was taught in English).
2. An original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree
was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except
Canada), plus an Academic Qualification Level statement (AQUALS) from UK
NARIC confirming that your qualification is comparable to a UK degree OR

This clearly means that if you have got ILR after 28th October 2013 you need not have to submit any proof for English language .

Cheers
Anand
I think you are right. Just looked at the latest form

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 1-2016.pdf

On page 7 it says -

I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after
28th October 2013;

milindsm

Post by milindsm » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:21 pm

Having said that, I called the Home Office last week and I was told that I need a certificate from NARIC. I'll call them again with reference to this statement in the application form. Let's see!

Also, UK NARIC website gives 2 options - "Statement of Comparability" and "English Language Assessment". Which one do I need to the citizenship application?

tjoseph
Newly Registered

Post by tjoseph » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:34 pm

"English Language Assessment" certificate from NARIC should suffice, if I recollect correctly it was even a requirement for ILR since last year. If you are submitting your application via NCS, ask them what documents are required while scheduling the appointment.

milindsm

Post by milindsm » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:29 pm

I didn't submit NARIC at the time of ILR (Jan-2016).

iqbal1979
Newly Registered

Post by iqbal1979 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:45 pm

milindsm wrote:Having said that, I called the Home Office last week and I was told that I need a certificate from NARIC. I'll call them again with reference to this statement in the application form. Let's see!

Also, UK NARIC website gives 2 options - "Statement of Comparability" and "English Language Assessment". Which one do I need to the citizenship application?
Read the Faqs. You will get the answer for all your queries. Read it carefully.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... university