ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spelling mistakes in name by the Home Office

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LillyPearl
Newly Registered

Spelling mistakes in name by the Home Office

Post by LillyPearl » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:15 am

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I could not find a satisfactory answer in the forums.

I applied for a permanent residence certificate as an EEA national earlier this year and I have now applied for naturalisation and for a British passport to be issued immediately.
In the letter about my biometric information I noticed that my first name is spelled wrongly. I then noticed that it is spelled with the same mistake in my PRC.
At the home office website I can only find information about correcting the spelling of my name AFTER a certificate of naturalisation is issued, not while the application is being processed.
Does anybody know what is the best way to approach this?
I am also concerned that if I get issued a Britihs passport, it will have to be replaced and I will have to pay for it.

PSIt is only one letter and it does not change the name significantly, however all the documents I supplied with my application have the "correct" spelling. That includes the Life in the UK test certificate and all the application forms.

Federal

Re: Spelling mistakes in name by the Home Office

Post by Federal » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm

I have had a similar situation, whereas my DCPR features an incorrect name and I have no way of rectifying this. The Home Office has no avenue to correct mistakes on a DCPR (with the only option, potentially, is to... reapply for one!). I involved my MP and to this day, I had no luck. What I did get, was a response from his liaison with the UKVI, which essentially says that I should proceed with my naturalisation application, regardless of the incorrect spelling, and all that would matter is that the correct name would be in my supporting documents (passport, letters, etc)

Now, it would appear that you have done that and you still received correspondence with the wrong name. This is very troubling. All I can say is that I would love it if you could keep us posted. I have just applied for naturalisation last week, so no correspondence from the Home Office has reached me yet, but I dread the same thing happening to me.

Best of luck, to us all.

LillyPearl
Newly Registered

Post by LillyPearl » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:39 pm

Federal wrote:What I did get, was a response from his liaison with the UKVI, which essentially says that I should proceed with my naturalisation application, regardless of the incorrect spelling, and all that would matter is that the correct name would be in my supporting documents (passport, letters, etc)
What I was told (unofficially) is that the name that was on the PRC is the name in your case file and that name will be used. Essentially, no one will look at the name in the documents I submitted. I hope this is not the case.

Federal

Post by Federal » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:26 pm

Who told you that? Not that it doesn't make sense, but I wrote an extensive cover letter to highlight the discrepancy and outline my attempts to rectify it and what my MP was able to find out. I hope they at least contact me before they do anything. I am really worried now.

Federal

Post by Federal » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:16 am

Hey - any luck in chasing this up? I just got my confirmation email, and yes, they used my wrong name. Again. I feel helpless.