ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My 14 year application for ILR now approved...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

My 14 year application for ILR now approved...

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:23 pm

... in no small part thanks to all the great advice I got in here, including from threads I didn't actually participate in. It helped to have a good lawyer too, though she probably wouldn't call control freaks like me good clients ;)

I sent the application in about 11 months ago. It was a fairly straightforward case in that there were no criminal convictions, there is a subsisting marriage of over 8 years, several kids, good financial footing with own businesses and properties, and good documentation.

Thanks to everyone at immigrationboards.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:26 pm

I don't normally participate in the 'congrats' threads but 'congrats' mate!!

BC next?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:37 pm

Congrats

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:41 pm

>>BC

Hmm. I'm torn on that.

Weirdly, I'm not as delighted as my wife was (there's no pleasing some people LOL)! I'm still trying to convince her that India is the best place to bring up our kids. And, if we do decide to go, it makes sense to get the BC before I go or I lose ILR.
Last edited by OL7MAX on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:42 pm

Congrats as well.

zebra3

congratulations

Post by zebra3 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:00 pm

congrat, I am on a same boat as you nearly 14 years, can you please email the details of the lawyer you used for you case please.
sandrashort728 at hotmail.com

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:36 pm

Wow, excellent news. I'm really glad your long saga finally had a happy outcome! All the best to you and your family :)

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:21 pm

OL7MAX wrote:>>BC

Hmm. I'm torn on that.

Weirdly, I'm not as delighted as my wife was (there's no pleasing some people LOL)! I'm still trying to convince her that India is the best place to bring up our kids. And, if we do decide to go, it makes sense to get the BC before I go or I lose ILR.
Well, well. My dear friend, congratulations. I am so happy for you.

At least if not BC now, you can take a much deserve holiday out of Queen's country after a long time on this little Island.

Congrats.
Praise The Lord!!!!

jimquk
United Kingdom

Post by jimquk » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:00 pm

Great to hear your good news. Hopefully you'll stick around on the forum? (even if you're in India, it's no excuse to desert us!)
The Refused are coming day-by-day nearer to freedom.

Twin
Member of Standing

Post by Twin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:33 pm

Wow! Am I happy for you or what!?

A very hearty congratulations to you! You deserved it!

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:10 pm

jimquk, do they have the Internet in India now? Bloody hell, I have missed a lot! When I left India Margaret Thatcher was PM here, the mobile phone wasn't invented, PCs worked on DOS and the formal proposals to start a World Wide Web weren't even in draft form.

It's been a looong time. I love that place so much, you won't believe how much I cried when I got stuck here originally and couldn't go back home.

Thanks everyone. Twin, I do wish you the best of luck in your very difficult circumstances.

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:19 pm

OL7MAX,

Congratulations! You've been an inspiration to all of us.

I hope whatever you ultimately decide to do, stay or go, that you and your family are happy and prosper.

And if you do decide to go, hey man, it's their (The UK's) loss. You are a walking success story, and you'll take that success with you.
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

radlea
Newly Registered

Post by radlea » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Well done. I am in the same position but still waiting. Would you be kind enough to tell me who your sollicitor was. Best wishes.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:59 am

I've replied to several PMs and sent PMs to those requesting lawyer details. I must add, though, that it is my opinion that no matter who your lawyer is ... it is up to you to make sure they're on the right track. And, there's no resource like this forum for that.

It's from here that I learnt about all the possible "excuses" the HO could turn my application down on. I thoroughly researched all of them to make sure my application had no holes.

I spent days just trying to get information on what triggered a stopping of the clock way back in 1990-91. I had to speak to two barristers before I was convinced that paperwork the IND sent me then did not stop the clock. My application included detailed quotes from them (referring to statutes at that time) as to why the HO couldn't consider my clock stopped.

I got a copy of my SAB (my lawyer kindly received it at her offices as I didn't want to disclose my address till I submitted my application) and carefully compared it against all my own documentation going back 15 years - an idea I got here. That was extremely useful.

I learnt here on these forums that entering illegally and colluding to overstay etc could ruin a 14 year application. In my case, I couldn't leave even though I wanted to. But, did the HO know that?

My SAB provided the answer, they didn't. So, I put together some killer paperwork to prove this positive bit about my application. When I first got stuck here I sent letters off to everyone I could think of requesting help to get me out of the UK and back to the US. I had replies from the First Secretary at the IHC in London, the US Embassy in London, the Indian Embassy in Washington DC, the local MP here in the UK, and others... all saying they were sorry they couldn't help. The IND didn't have copies of those letters so I sent them in with my application to demonstrate that I never intended to violate UK immigration law.

It was here, on these boards, that I learnt about providing proof of residence for every single year. For years where I had weaker documentation I served several organisations demands under the Data Protection Act for copies of data held on me (and the dates they related to). I even had the police dig out an old complaint I made many years ago and provide me with a copy of the "victim notification" they sent me originally.

Don't believe the rubbish anyone gives you about keeping data for only six years (12 years in the case of my bank). Most of them have data going back further, even if it's only on microfiche/images.

Applying under the 14 year rule? Search this forum for every term related to "14 years", "long residence concession", "long residence rules" etc and read every single post. Then consider that only the start of your research. Various good folk here have taken the time and trouble to link to specific external pages relevant to what they're saying. Go read those pages!

When looking for a good accountant for your business/tax returns you don't want one who's a nice guy. You want one with teeth. And one who'll do what you say. Same thing with lawyers for your 14 year application except that your 14 year application is a bigger deal. The bigger the deal the more the time you need to invest yourself.

Hope that's useful. Good luck to anyone applying. Dot every i, cross every t. Yes, every single one.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:33 pm

OL7MAX wrote:jimquk, do they have the Internet in India now? Bloody hell, I have missed a lot! When I left India Margaret Thatcher was PM here, the mobile phone wasn't invented, PCs worked on DOS and the formal proposals to start a World Wide Web weren't even in draft form.

It's been a looong time. I love that place so much, you won't believe how much I cried when I got stuck here originally and couldn't go back home.

Thanks everyone. Twin, I do wish you the best of luck in your very difficult circumstances.
Hi Oly, you gonna be in for a shock, I can tell ya..

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:24 am

Hey, I'm getting to go home, bring on anything :)

PS: Relating to my earlier advice about following useful links here - you may find that many of the links to the Home Office site don't work as it's now the BIA. However, check out the internet archive at archive.org. They maintain copies of how pages used to look, fantastic stuff!

bob919
Newly Registered

Post by bob919 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:26 pm

Congratulations. I'm glad its all sorted for you.

fczenit
Newly Registered

Post by fczenit » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Hey OL7MAX.

Congrats on the result. Much envied, but sincerely glad for you!

I was just wandering – during your 11 month wait, did you get much correspondence from HO ? Did you contact them at all during the wait. What was the communication like between you/your solicitor and them ?

Much appreciate any info.

Cheers

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:57 pm

fczenit, on double checking the dates between my application and the date on the letter, it was only 9 months to approval. I'm stunned by their speed on this as I was always under the impression that all 14 year applications took years.

During that time they sent no correspondence to me or my solicitor. We did not contact them. In fact, on the expiry of 12 months I was going to send them character references from my wife, business associates, local MP (I've been to his house for dinner a couple of times but he never knew I was undocumented) etc. mainly as a little nudge but also to bolster the application.

Neither my solicitor nor I contacted them at any time since the application went in. Neither we nor the HO raised any questions.

I'm convinced it's a matter of knowing all the grounds the application can fail on and making sure the documentation is pucca, pucca, pucca. If your application is already in you could get an expert third party here to assess your case and comment on where the weak spots are ... then strengthen those areas by submitting more documents.

Good luck with your application.