ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can I renew the GNIB card before the exp. date?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

infinita
Newly Registered

can I renew the GNIB card before the exp. date?

Post by infinita » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi,
I have a stamp 4 granted under eu treaty(spouse of EU national) for 5 years.
But my current GNIB was only issued to be valid until september 08 as my current passport is valid until that date.I should be able to renew my GNIB when i have my new passport.

The question is :
If I get a new passport now,can I get my GNIB card renewed too?Or I have to wait until the exact date in september?

Thanks!

Frances1978
Newly Registered

Post by Frances1978 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:58 pm

Hi,

I asked a similar question yesterday when I went in to register. I'll be running out of visa stamp pages in my passport in a little while, and found out my country no longer consider it secure to add additional visa pages, so I'll have to get a new passport well before it's expiry. The immigration officer said that getting a new passport was considered a change of circumstances and to go in in the 7 days after I'd received my new passport to have the stamp transferred.

I'm not sure whether they'll extend your permission then, or expect you to come back in September and get a new GNIB card etc. I'd hope they'd extend your permission, but I've come across some strange, strange things in Irish immigration.

Incidentally, the officer yesterday told me the system was a "simple" one. Wouldn't say I'd agree on this one at all, I couldn't find out anything regarding my situation on the Irish govt websites. It's a basic immigration question really, and there is nothing posted for non-visa required nationals.

All the best.

elbet
Newly Registered

Post by elbet » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:41 am

If you ask any of the GNIB officer , he/she will tell you that you can not renew it anytime before 2 weeks from expiry date . However , if you bring with you a flight ticket showing you have to travel before 2 weeks , they will/should be corporative . I had mine renewed a month before expiry . good luck

archigabe

Re: can I renew the GNIB card before the exp. date?

Post by archigabe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:05 pm

infinita wrote:Hi,
I have a stamp 4 granted under eu treaty(spouse of EU national) for 5 years.
But my current GNIB was only issued to be valid until september 08 as my current passport is valid until that date.I should be able to renew my GNIB when i have my new passport.

The question is :
If I get a new passport now,can I get my GNIB card renewed too?Or I have to wait until the exact date in september?
Thanks!
You can probably try taking the Letter from DOJ granting you the Stamp4 to GNIB and your new passport as soon as it arrives. Don't wait till the last minute,there is no bridging visa in Ireland so you might be in a bit of a jam.