ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work permit/visa for France

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fabgab
Newly Registered

Work permit/visa for France

Post by fabgab » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi,
I am an American citizen, and have secured a job in France. I am waiting for the visa for it right now. However, the job is only part-time. I have found another job in France, but I don't have a contract/permit for it yet. Does anyone know if it will be possible for me to get this second job (still keeping the first job) once I am in France with this first work visa?? Or will I have to return to the US to get a second visa?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Last edited by fabgab on Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Work permit/visa for France

Post by sakura » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:40 pm

fabgab wrote:Hi,
I am an American citizen, and have secured a job in France. I am waiting for the visa for it right now. However, the job is only part-time. I have found another job in France, but I don't have a contract/permit for it yet. Does anyone know if it will be possible for me to get this second job once I am in France with this first work visa?? Or will I have to return to the US to get a second visa?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
What kind of job is this?

fabgab
Newly Registered

Post by fabgab » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:45 pm

The job that I have already secured is as a translator/editor at a think tank. The second job would be working as an assistant in the study abroad department of a business college in Paris.

ryangiggs11
Newly Registered

Post by ryangiggs11 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:15 am

Do you know if you are being hired as a local hire (Introduction) which means that you are going on local payroll or are you going to be seconded (Dettache)?

If you are being seconded it is most likely impossible as your work authorization is tied to your employment with the foreign entity.

Also, you said that your visa is still pending. Do you mean to say that your work permit application is still pending with ANAEM? I ask this because long-term visas are issued from French Consulates usually within a few minutes of your interview at the Consulate.

fabgab
Newly Registered

Post by fabgab » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:25 am

I am not sure if I am a local hire or seconded. Is there any way I can find this out? Would my employer know? If I am a local hire, would there be a chance I could work a second job?
And yes, I am still waiting on the permit from France. The consulate in LA has not yet received my papers.
Thank you!

ryangiggs11
Newly Registered

Post by ryangiggs11 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:14 am

fabgab wrote:I am not sure if I am a local hire or seconded. Is there any way I can find this out? Would my employer know? If I am a local hire, would there be a chance I could work a second job?
And yes, I am still waiting on the permit from France. The consulate in LA has not yet received my papers.
Thank you!
I think that your employer should be able to let you know in what status you will be but I think the easier way to figure it out is to see which payroll you will be on. If you remain on foreign payroll, you are most likely seconded but if you are on French payroll, then you are most likely on local payroll. Moreover, the local hire process is more complicated as it requires additional documentation about recruitment, which is of course not necessary for a seconded employee.

I am not positive whether you would still be able to switch employers if you were a local hire. You obviously don't want to ask your employer as this would be a good sign to them that you don't intend to continue employment. I am not sure if a local hire would be treated like an HSMP in the UK, which does allow you to switch employers after already in the UK. I suggest contacting the place who could employ you in France and see if they have a relo or immigration expert who could assess your situation, assuming you were a local hire. If you are seconded, I don't think that you have a chance to switch employers without a new work permit.

fabgab
Newly Registered

Post by fabgab » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:26 am

I think there is some confusion. I am definitely employed by a French employer, there is no other employer in the States involved. And I don't want to quit working for one and switch to the other. I just want to work both jobs, and am wondering if could do that with a work visa granted for only the first job. I hope that makes sense...its a bit confusing I know.
Thanks again!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:47 pm

What sort of visa did you apply for?

fabgab
Newly Registered

Post by fabgab » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:30 pm

I haven't really applied for the visa yet, my employer so far has applied for the permit and is doing what needs to be done on their side. I have been told that once the documents arrive at the consulate in Los Angeles from France that I will be contacted to apply for a special long-stay visa, and have to provide several documents for it. So I guess it will be some sort of long stay visa. I'm still a bit confused about exactly what I will be getting. My work contract is for 6 months, so I'm guessing it will be a 6 month work/long-stay visa (?)