ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English requirements for British nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Beemouse
Newly Registered

English requirements for British nationality

Post by Beemouse » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi,

I am currently completing my application for citizenship. I have a degree in English from a German university and have been member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists in English since 1988. I have a certificate of the exam I passed and the membership certificate. I know that this membership is seen as similar to a university qualification in the language. Would I need to take another English test to prove my knowledge or would the Institute membership and my degree certificate suffice?

Thank you for your help!

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: English requirements for British nationality

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:30 pm

You will need a NARIC English Language Assessment (ELA) for your degree awarded in Germany. The fee is £150.
Otherwise you will need pass a B1 level English test from an UKVI approved test provider.

The Life in the UK test is mandatory for British citizenship.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Was your degree fully taught in English as that's a requirement if taught abroad.

Since they cost the same I'd opt for the B1 for £150.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:34 pm

As the OP is mentioning a professional qualification taken in the UK, my experience was that on contacting NARIC they said they only validate academic qualifications from abroad, not professional ones even if taken in the UK. My institute (CIMA) told me the qualification is equivalent to a Masters Degree, and issue letters to that effect.
However, trying to complete all paperwork during July/August holiday time I just took the B1 test, and it's fairly easy to get early appointments, same price as NARIC.
Personally I found the experience a bit embarrassing having been in the UK more years than I care to remember.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:51 pm

alterhase58 wrote: Personally I found the experience a bit embarrassing having been in the UK more years than I care to remember.
Quite, it did grate that I spent £150 on what basically boils down to a ten minute chat, but I'm also very much in favour of people wishing to settle having basic grasp of the language*, I can't really begrudge that this applies to me too.

* having seen how dependent & open to abuse people without sufficient language skills end up being on their children and often husband with a friend's family back home.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:04 pm

alterhase58 wrote:As the OP is mentioning a professional qualification taken in the UK, my experience was that on contacting NARIC they said they only validate academic qualifications from abroad, not professional ones even if taken in the UK. My institute (CIMA) told me the qualification is equivalent to a Masters Degree, and issue letters to that effect.
However, trying to complete all paperwork during July/August holiday time I just took the B1 test, and it's fairly easy to get early appointments, same price as NARIC.
Personally I found the experience a bit embarrassing having been in the UK more years than I care to remember.
My advice regarding NARIC ELA refers to the OP's comment "I have a degree in English from a German university"
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.