ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maternity Leave in Tier 2 General Visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

macha
Newly Registered

Maternity Leave in Tier 2 General Visa

Post by macha » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:47 am

Hi
I am a Tier 2 General Visa Holder from Sep 2014. i am currently pregnant and going for maternity leave from Sep. My current company provides 6 months of maternity leave with full salary and two months of Statutory Maternity Leave. In addition to that Addition Maternity Leave which is of 4 months but with out any salary. But i have some doubts on taking one year maternity leave.

1. Being in Tier 2 General Visa, if i go for one year maternity break, it means i am in the country with out taking any salary during my AML period (Additional Maternity Leave). Is that allowed? Am I eligible to take AML being on Tier 2 General Visa?

2. We are going to be in this country during the whole time, while applying for ILR,i want to know whether the AML period will be considered?

Thanks
Macha

bsc2007
India

Re: Maternity Leave in Tier 2 General Visa

Post by bsc2007 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi Macha,

I dont think that being on maternity leave will make any difference on your visa/ILR. My wife is on maternity leave - and I didnt see any problem with anything. She is a Tier 2 dependent though.

Kind regards,
B

macha
Newly Registered

Post by macha » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:30 pm

Thanks B. It's just that its not documented anywhere on that.
I am the visa holder, hence wanted to make sure things don't go wrong.

Thanks
Macha

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:17 am

you are fine to take maternity leave (full 12 months if you want).
Not getting paid or getting paid less than what your normal salary is, during the maternity leave is not a problem and it is stated in tier 2 guidance.
If you plan to apply for ilr during your maternity leave (during paid or un paid time), it is not a problem, they will look at your last salary before going on maternity.
You will however need a letter from employer stating they still need if you are going to be applying for ilr during maternity.

togo
Newly Registered

Post by togo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:50 am

12 month maternity leave is not a problem but the important point is that in case you are travelling to your home country you should not be away for more than 180 days in any qualifying year

macha
Newly Registered

Post by macha » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:09 am

Thank you. It really calms my nerves.

Macha