ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Times article - Simplified online PR form coming

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Noetic
Member of Standing

Times article - Simplified online PR form coming

Post by Noetic » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:55 am

Saw this in the Times today, behind the pay wall but expecting the story to be picked up by other outlets soon. Basically HO have been trialling an online simplified PR form to cope with all the applications in the next few years.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/ ... -5qxtd00z7

secret.simon

Re: Times article - Simplified online PR form coming

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:10 am

Worth also seeing this article on the Register about the complexities of Brexit and processing a fair few paper applications for PR.

The full text of the Times article linked to above
An online system to process permanent residence applications more quickly is being secretly tested, it emerged last night.

The pilot programme will provide a less laborious service for the many EU citizens wanting to secure their immigration status in Britain before the country withdraws from the European Union. The online application will replace a paper-based system that involves printing out an 85-page form and sending it to the Home Office by special delivery.

It is being tested for two weeks by a group of about 20 corporate clients, including the accountancy firms Deloitte and PricewaterhouseCoopers, before a public launch by the Home Office later this year.

A government spokesman said: “As part of the on-going Home Office programme to digitise applications, we have launched a number of online options.

“We are currently testing an online service which simplifies the process by allowing some EEA [European Economic Area] nationals to submit electronic applications.”

The Home Office processes about 25,000 permanent residence applications from European citizens and their family members each year.

A study released earlier this month by the University of Oxford’s Migration Observatory said that if all European citizens applied for residency it would take 140 years to process the visa forms. Jurga McCluskey, head of immigration at Deloitte, said that the trial demonstrated that the Home Office was “thinking ahead” to its negotiating positions when Article 50 is triggered to start Brexit negotiations.

“If we have EU workers with [secure residence] status, there could be provisions within government policy to protect them in the long term, meaning that free movement laws will continue to influence UK immigration policy for a period of time post-Brexit,” she told the Financial Times.

Ms McCluskey said that “questions will arise” over the status of EU nationals who have not been able to register, however, because they are students or self-employed small business owners.

Julia Onslow-Cole, head of global immigration at PwC, said she believed that the new digital system could help to prevent backlogs of applications and categorise European nationals who were in Britain before new immigration policies were introduced.

Ms Onslow-Cole said one-to-one clinics run by PwC at larger employers had led to immigration advisers being “inundated with requests for meetings”.

One person who was helping to operate the new system said that it was “definitely part of a stocktaking exercise” to assess the numbers of European nationals living and working in Britain.

The source said: “National Insurance numbers are useless and there isn’t any other way of determining how many are here or where they are.”
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:38 am

About bloody time too.

gtht

Post by gtht » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:58 am

cheers to the government to putting this together. I'm curious how much time it would really save, though. Besides automatically filling in forms I imagine the case officer would still have to inspect the scanned documents, review and verify them.

yellowcat
Newly Registered

Post by yellowcat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:05 am

It seems like good news!
So, should we wait or send the 85 page form now? I have almost filled it in, but since this is coming in the near future, then I will probably wait for the online form, which I hope is simpler and more logical.

gtht

Post by gtht » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:09 am

Anytime a government agency says something is coming in the near future, I wouldn't hold my breath.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:15 am

yellowcat wrote:It seems like good news!
So, should we wait or send the 85 page form now? I have almost filled it in, but since this is coming in the near future, then I will probably wait for the online form, which I hope is simpler and more logical.
Current form is not mandatory, shorter simpler forms are available.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Right
Bulgaria

Post by Right » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:01 pm

Since they won't accept eletronic evidence, I can't see this being that big of a change. Also, what is with the trial for corporate clients? Sick of fat cats getting priority over me.

ptstream
Newly Registered

Post by ptstream » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:07 pm

I'm not surprised there is confusion about numbers with this peculiar system where people have free entry at border controls with a simple ID card but then a bureaucratic monster awaits if they want to apply for documents. Many people probably didn't bother before brexit, instead non-EEA nationals (family member) are more likely to be registered in the system because they need to apply for a permit and RC to enter and prove right to work.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:21 pm

gtht wrote: I'm curious how much time it would really save, though. Besides automatically filling in forms I imagine the case officer would still have to inspect the scanned documents, review and verify them.
I have a feeling that the whole exercise is more a data collection exercise than a genuine attempt to help EEA citizens.

Rather than people applying by paper applications and the data being fed into a system, the application will feed directly into a computer system that can be used to generate data on EEA citizens. That can be used during the negotiations.

At the moment, there are no concrete numbers on the numbers of EEA Citizens in the UK because...
ptstream wrote:people have free entry at border controls with a simple ID card.... Many people probably didn't bother before brexit
What Brexit has done is that it has crystallised the situation, so that rather that having ephemeral rights based on relationships and nebulous theories (such as exercising treaty rights), one needs documentary proof of the right to remain in the UK, which can be counted, monitored and if need be, controlled.
Right wrote:Also, what is with the trial for corporate clients? Sick of fat cats getting priority over me.
Money talks. With non-EEA applications under the UK Immigration Rules, it is possible to get premium or even super-premium service for an additional fee (£500 upwards), which provides for same day answers (though that is not guaranteed). But as EU law caps the fees at £65, that facility is not available with EEA applications.

Also, given the uncertainty of Brexit impacting corporate clients, I am not surprised that they have gone for corporate clients first. Once their staff have been ironed out, the companies will feel more secure about planning ahead.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:52 am

EU nationals: have you recently applied for British citizenship?

Not sure if anybody noticed this article in the Gruaniad. They are looking for EEA citizens who have applied for British naturalisaton in wake of the Brexit referendum to contact them.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:33 am

secret.simon wrote:EU nationals: have you recently applied for British citizenship?

Not sure if anybody noticed this article in the Gruaniad. They are looking for EEA citizens who have applied for British naturalisaton in wake of the Brexit referendum to contact them.
Simon, I see what you did there. Ha ha, very good.

Gruaniad (sic).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:33 pm

Too much Private Eye and Yes , Prime Minister.

I had better watch out otherwise I will be reading Country Life and winning GBBO next. ;)

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:42 pm

secret.simon wrote:EU nationals: have you recently applied for British citizenship?

Interesting, although I am not strictly an EU national and applied beforehand.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:45 am

Looks like this will be going hand in hand with an NCS style local council service https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... rn-service

yellowcat
Newly Registered

Post by yellowcat » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:37 am

Noetic wrote:Looks like this will be going hand in hand with an NCS style local council service https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... rn-service
Hmmm, looks like it is going to be more complicated: first you need to taka a day of work for the appointment, then pay an extra fee and then worry what if a council worker misplaces your documents...Easier to send the paper form perhaps.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:16 pm

yellowcat wrote:
Noetic wrote:Looks like this will be going hand in hand with an NCS style local council service https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... rn-service
Hmmm, looks like it is going to be more complicated: first you need to taka a day of work for the appointment, then pay an extra fee and then worry what if a council worker misplaces your documents...Easier to send the paper form perhaps.
Not at all - it means you retain your important documents rather than having to trust Royal Mail with a Kilo bundle of important documents.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:57 pm

So there are only 10 locations and my closest one is 158 miles away (probably a minimum 2.5 hour drive each way).

Great thinking by the Home Office. Why didn't they just extend NCS to offer this at all local councils...

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:36 am

Likely because just like JCAP initially, this is only just being introduced ohara...

Daseca
Newly Registered

Post by Daseca » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:25 pm

There's 28 now, so hopefully more LA's will come on stream in the next few weeks. You can also use the Belfast and Glasgow premium service centres too.

Good timing, I was going to send off my EEA QP but was really reluctant to be without my passport for an extended period. Wonder what the fee is likely to be.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:09 pm

Do keep us updated - I certainly know I would have gladly paid £100 to not have to be without important documents for months - including P60s and employment contracts etc. I'm assuming those will also be copied there.

twgal
United Kingdom

Post by twgal » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:34 pm