ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Those with UK citizenship are so lucky...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

judy7007
Newly Registered

Those with UK citizenship are so lucky...

Post by judy7007 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:38 pm

How we long to get citizenship for my husband...we just have to be patient for another 15 months! We immigrated to uk from Australia 2 yrs ago in our 60's. How anyone would want to leave here we cannot imagine (except that everyone is of course different and seeks different experiences in life). The move to UK is the best one we have ever made...there is just so much to do, so much to see, so many experiences so close at hand. We don't have much and were told by financial advisers in Oz never to go to UK. What nonsense! We find we are both eligible for State Pension on basis of agreement between UK and Oz (which finished in 2001) but our many years of taxes in Oz paid for those coming from UK so we don't feel bad. We had no idea we would get full UK state pensions each and free travel and prescriptions etc - this country is so good to us and we could never imagine going back to the land of Oz - boring... We just have to wait one more year till my husband gets the magic passport! I am sure he will be so pleased to swear allegiance to the UK (except in the cricket of course). We love it here...

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:02 pm

Judy, you certainly have a good sense of humour and you must also be one of those selected few who beleives that the UK is the be all and end all.
But then I suppose you are here for the good food, good weather and wonderful medical care you receive as a pensioner.

To answer your question about your husband nationality, we will need more detail about what visa's you and your husband are on or are you British ect.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:43 pm

You left Australia to come to the UK...in your 60's???? And you prefer it here? To Australia?

This sounds like a wind-up!
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

touchsensor

agree

Post by touchsensor » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:30 pm

I agree Dawie...

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:21 pm

Hmmm, if you're into history and culture there've got to be one or two things to see in the UK, granted. I'm glad you're happy here. It's nice to see something different from the usual moans (I'm chief mourner! :))

Judy, what is it about Australia that you wouldn't like to go back to?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:30 pm

Dawie wrote:You left Australia to come to the UK...in your 60's???? And you prefer it here? To Australia?

This sounds like a wind-up!
Not necessarily, Dawie. Sometimes we belittle the UK, but there are lots of good things about living here, particularly for those who aren't worried by the weather (and, again, some people prefer the climate in most of the UK to the climate in most of Australia).

ci07jjs

Post by ci07jjs » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:35 am

good move....not to mention the free health-care, I don't think you get that in australia

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Re: Those with UK citizenship are so lucky...

Post by thirdwave » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:47 am

judy7007 wrote:How we long to get citizenship for my husband...we just have to be patient for another 15 months! We immigrated to uk from Australia 2 yrs ago in our 60's. How anyone would want to leave here we cannot imagine (except that everyone is of course different and seeks different experiences in life). The move to UK is the best one we have ever made...there is just so much to do, so much to see, so many experiences so close at hand. We don't have much and were told by financial advisers in Oz never to go to UK. What nonsense! We find we are both eligible for State Pension on basis of agreement between UK and Oz (which finished in 2001) but our many years of taxes in Oz paid for those coming from UK so we don't feel bad. We had no idea we would get full UK state pensions each and free travel and prescriptions etc - this country is so good to us and we could never imagine going back to the land of Oz - boring... We just have to wait one more year till my husband gets the magic passport! I am sure he will be so pleased to swear allegiance to the UK (except in the cricket of course). We love it here...
Judy, If you don`t mind me asking..what have you been smoking?

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:25 pm

ci07jjs wrote:good move....not to mention the free health-care, I don't think you get that in australia
yes you do. and you can go to any GP you like, not just the one near your house. if you want a private GP, instead of paying the whole amount yourself, you only pay the difference between what Medicare (NHS) covers and what the doctor charges.

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:17 pm

One thing that puzzles me is how someone would qualify for British Citizenship from Australia after residing here for only 3 1/4 years. Even the ancestry visa takes six years (5 to get ILR + 1 extra year).

Unless the wife is already a UK citizen (And so in essence is merely an Australian immigrant returning to point of origin)?
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:26 pm

EdgeHillMole wrote:One thing that puzzles me is how someone would qualify for British Citizenship from Australia after residing here for only 3 1/4 years. Even the ancestry visa takes six years (5 to get ILR + 1 extra year).

Unless the wife is already a UK citizen (And so in essence is merely an Australian immigrant returning to point of origin)?
Wife could be a British citizen, although she might or might not be returning to point of origin, in that she might be a British citizen by descent...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:30 pm

Right Of Abode?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:09 am

Wanderer wrote:Right Of Abode?
Or maybe an Irish passport through a parent or grandparent?

Although neither of these in themselves would qualify for naturalisation before 5 years.

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:30 am

There are good and bad things about the UK and good and bad things about Australia.

UK - crappy weather, diorganisation and poor service throughout, ridiculous cost of life and inaffordability of housing, exorbitant council taxes, high utility bills, air pollution, overcrowding, terrible traffic jams and poor control of immigration (getting better now)

BUT: more jobs than in Australia, better banking system, some professions get paid more there (although that would be taken away by higher cost of living), more benefits to people with higher incomes, completely free (though not necessarily better) public healthcare (although waiting lists exist both in the UK and Australia, although they are longer than in the UK and do not occur that often)

Australia - better climate, excellent quality of service everywhere including the Government, very well organised system, simple and transparent immigration system and control of arrivals of foreigners, although expensive but still affordable housing, better quality of housing and more space in them, higher quality of people lives, clean environment, plenty of space around, almost no traffic jams, some good jobs with even higher pay than in the UK, better quality of public and private healthcare. Generally people work here do not work as hard as in the UK and paid even the same or more. There are no council taxes and the rates are cheaper (although the Internet is more expensive and there are various charges, connection fees, service charges and other crap :)).

BUT: Income taxes are approximately the same as in the UK, no allowances, no child care tax free threshold like in the UK (although you get some money towards your childcare but significantly less than in the UK). No child benefit. Terrible rip-off stupid banking system with various charges unknown in the UK. Ridiculous vehicle purchase stamp duties. Not completely free but a better healthcare system. Food is more expensive to buy in supermarkets here (no those TESCO's buy-one-get-on-free or buy three for the price of two :)) but it is cheaper to eat out than in the UK.

The life in Australia is more relaxing but sometimes you find that you pay a bit more for it (but not through making you work harder). In the UK it has just been stress throughout and work work work and time was passing by just like the wind. You don't seem to notice when you get old and life has already passed you. All you did was working to make your ends meet but not really enjoying life...
I personally prefer Australia. I feel I live my life to the full, spend time with the family and even get paid more here.
Everyone is different. Your choice depends on your preferences, circumstances and your profession.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:05 pm

Jeff Albright wrote:...almost no traffic jams...
Mmm... have you driven in Sydney lately?

neil4u
Newly Registered

Post by neil4u » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:26 pm

I'm sorry but I cannot understand why anyone would want to move permanently from Australia to the UK when there are thousands of people (including myself) who would bend over backwards to get into Australia. Although I love it here it just does not compare to the quality of living Australia offers, especially if you are a pensioner.

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:07 am

Christophe wrote: Mmm... have you driven in Sydney lately?
Hm. :) Not really and wouldn't really like living in Sydney. I was talking about living in Australia in general, but not Sydney probably. It is like going to live in London in the UK although there are so many nicer, cheaper and better places around to live and not that overcrowded... Of course, where is crowd, there is also traffic. I particularly meant living in Western Australia, which is just so fabulous... I love it here.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:52 am

Jeff Albright wrote:There are good and bad things about the UK and good and bad things about Australia.

UK - crappy weather, diorganisation and poor service throughout, ridiculous cost of life and inaffordability of housing, exorbitant council taxes, high utility bills, air pollution, overcrowding, terrible traffic jams and poor control of immigration (getting better now)
[...]
You missed: located MUCH too close to France ....

;-)

[ Fire away everyone! BUT, as an American, my Constitution requires me to make that point. :twisted: ]

the Admin 8)

piglet

Post by piglet » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:01 am

I myself used to live in Australia (over 10 years) and now I live in England.

I would not go back to live in Australia again, except maybe when I am old. I so much prefer it here, it is more cosmopolitan, interesting, close to wonders of Europe, actually close to everything - New York, only 7 hours away, too.

And culturally it is hard to beat, museums, galleries, theatres, beautiful architecture (I am in London). I adore London, and while Australia is a beautiful, beautiful country and has great people, it is much more interesting here. Not to forget English sense of humour...

But as the poster above said, both countries have their own merits. Australia has much higher standard of living and services are way better then here. But overall, I (who is neither Aussie nor English buy birth) prefer living here. At the same time I feel extremely privileged to have both citizenships, they both are really amazing countries, so it is probably not right to say one is better then the other, they are both amazing. It is just whether one prefers beach 'n' barbie lifestyle or more culturally rich one.

But people differ and as long as everybody is happy as where they are that's all that matters.

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Administrator wrote:[ Fire away everyone! BUT, as an American, my Constitution requires me to make that point. :twisted: ]
An assertion to which only limited credence can be given, as the Americans would not even have their own constitution without the intervention of the French on their behalf in their war for independence. :)

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:44 pm

[ Fire away everyone! BUT, as an American, my Constitution requires me to make that point. Twisted Evil ]
This made me giggle :lol:
An assertion to which only limited credence can be given, as the Americans would not even have their own constitution without the intervention of the French on their behalf in their war for independence.
Tis true, but we like to pretend that it isn't :wink: