ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After Divorcing in India, my childs situation?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rajyop
Newly Registered

After Divorcing in India, my childs situation?

Post by Rajyop » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi All,

My personal situation has got to nightmare, where me and my wife are going to file for divorce soon. Am worried about my 2 year old Sons future

Myself a naturalised British citizen (2015)
My wife use to be on FLR, then involved in Domestic Violance, currently expired and back in India
My son was born in India (when I had ILR, 2014) never came to UK, nor he holds any passport

The court may declare:
a)Sole child custody to me & access rights to my wife
OR
b)Sole child custody to my wife & access rights to me

How do I bring my child to UK, if I have all access rights granted towards my child?, is there any visa for a child or can I directly apply settlement/naturalise?
OR
Can I take a Visa for child if I only have got the access rights to my child, not education, health or other rights?

If any of the above has an 'Yes' answer, can the mother get a visa to the UK on the basis that the child is on a visa or a british child?

Thanks in advance
Raj

Obie
Ireland

Re: After Divorcing in India, my childs situation?

Post by Obie » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:56 pm

You cannot bring your child to the UK, unless you can prove that you have sole responsibility for him, which does not appear to be the case.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:04 pm

How has your wife's FLR(M) visa expired when it was valid for 2.5 years in June and she was living with you in the UK?
http://www.immigrationboards.com/immigr ... l#p1370841
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:24 pm

Hi obie,

Thanks for your reply!
I think the courts final documents of divorce papers should be able to tell whether I have any responsibility over the 2 year old child or not. Currently it's the question of getting Sole responsibility (slim chances) OR just only the Access Rights. So was asking couple of questions.

Thanks
Raj

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:36 pm

Hi Casa,

Thanks for the reply!
Casa wrote:How has your wife's FLR(M) visa expired when it was valid for 2.5 years in June and she was living with you in the UK?
http://www.immigrationboards.com/immigr ... l#p1370841
It expired last month, it was applied from January 2014 if I remember correctly. Things got worse between us when I want to bring my child to UK and she had other ideas.

Now I just want to fight in court to bring him here, any help and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Raj

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:51 pm

Would you be able to cope with a 2 years old child alone.

Do you not think at this tender age, he is best place to be with his mother, unless of course she poses some sort of risk to him.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:02 am

Obie wrote:Would you be able to cope with a 2 years old child alone.
He loves me more than my wife, there are places that let people work from home 2 days a week. And on top, I can bring my parents that kindly offered me any help to raise my son, and have got supporting relatives and neighbors.
Do you not think at this tender age, he is best place to be with his mother, unless of course she poses some sort of risk to him.
His mother was with him only for 3+ months, he would find it difficult to recognise who she is. My personal situation doesn't sound well.

Thanks for asking!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:07 am

Rajyop wrote:And on top, I can bring my parents that kindly offered me any help to raise my son, and have got supporting relatives and neighbors.
Be aware almost impossible to bring parents into UK.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:16 am

noajthan wrote:
Rajyop wrote:And on top, I can bring my parents that kindly offered me any help to raise my son, and have got supporting relatives and neighbors.
Be aware almost impossible to bring parents into UK.
Now this adds some worry, I was under the impression that I can bring my parents as visitors for 6 months at least per year!
My friends and colleagues bring their parents too, in fact I went to meet one of them for lunch, and they didn't say about any tight rules as visitors!

When and if the India court pronounce that am the sole custodian of my child (slim chances again), the fact that am going to be Single Parent, wouldn't the UKBA consider this to at least grand visitor visa for my parents?

Thanks noajthan!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:33 am

Rajyop wrote:Now this adds some worry, I was under the impression that I can bring my parents as visitors for 6 months at least per year!
My friends and colleagues bring their parents too, in fact I went to meet one of them for lunch, and they didn't say about any tight rules as visitors!

When and if the India court pronounce that am the sole custodian of my child (slim chances again), the fact that am going to be Single Parent, wouldn't the UKBA consider this to at least grand visitor visa for my parents?

Thanks noajthan!
Your information seems dated and that's a concern; you really need to know who you're dealing with and what you're up against.
And if you don't get sole custody/full parental responsibility its not looking good.
Suggest you work on a plan B.

There is no UKBA anymore. (Abolished in 2013).

The fact you are sole parent and then invite parents may make a visit visitor even harder to be granted.
The main factor in caseworker's mind is what guarantees that 'visitors' will leave at end of stated period of visit (not 6 months, mind, but stated period).

Repeat trips every 6 month are going to end badly.

Visit visas are not for residing.
Visit visas are not for unpaid work (including childminding).

Takeaway: don't take visit visas for granted.

HO plays hardball and there's no right of appeal.
Here's an example:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/immigr ... 16853.html

- here's another:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/genera ... 16714.html

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:49 am

That was an eye opener!

THANKS YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Let me work on a plan B.

Thanks,
Raj

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:52 am

Rajyop wrote:That was an eye opener!

THANKS YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Let me work on a plan B.

Thanks,
Raj
It can't be easy for you at the moment, so good luck.

sunoo
United Kingdom

Post by sunoo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:43 am

You are going through divorce in India? You are British citizen and domiciled in the UK therefore your divorce may not be valid as you are not divorcing her through UK courts.

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:48 am

sunoo wrote:You are going through divorce in India? You are British citizen and domiciled in the UK therefore your divorce may not be valid as you are not divorcing her through UK courts.
Hi Sunoo,

We got married in India, my wife's UK visa has expired, and I still have almost all rights in India as Overseas Citizen of India. I can get a divorce.
Correct me if am wrong, when Home Office recognise our marriage certificate, can't it do the same for Divorce as well?
How can I file a Divorce for someone that has left the UK?, moreover it is expensive in UK than in India.

Thanks
Raj

sunoo
United Kingdom

Post by sunoo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:08 am

Hi Raj,

I am not a solicitor or immigration expert but I am talking from my own personal experience. Many people have been refused visa as there overseas divorce wasn't recognized. You better get some advise from an immigration expert or family solicitor.

Regards

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:44 pm

In this case, the other party to the divorce, the wife, seems to be clearly domiciled in India and hence I think the Indian courts can be accepted to have jurisdiction.

To the OP: You are in a very sticky situation. Your child has no right to British citizenship through you. I do not know the extent to which the custody of the child is affected by the personal laws of the faith of your wife and yourself, but that may be something that you may wish to check with an Indian lawyer.

Is there a chance that you could reconcile with your wife to the extent that you jointly decide that the child's future lies in the UK? I am sure that even she would have the child's best interests at heart.

You, as a British citizen, have no right to have your parents join you. You may wish to do a Surinder Singh with your parents to move them permanently to the UK, but that would require your parents to commit to moving to the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:01 pm

sunoo wrote:Hi Raj,

I am not a solicitor or immigration expert but I am talking from my own personal experience. Many people have been refused visa as there overseas divorce wasn't recognized. You better get some advise from an immigration expert or family solicitor.

Regards
Thanks Sunoo! Appreciate your point of views
Thanks

Rajyop
Newly Registered

Post by Rajyop » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:32 pm

secret.simon wrote:In this case, the other party to the divorce, the wife, seems to be clearly domiciled in India and hence I think the Indian courts can be accepted to have jurisdiction.
This is what I originally thought too
Is there a chance that you could reconcile with your wife to the extent that you jointly decide that the child's future lies in the UK?
It is highly unlikely, the reason last two years I stayed with her is only considering the welfare of my child.
I am sure that even she would have the child's best interests at heart.
I was thinking the same, we took a counselling as well, and after that their parents advised her to marry someone else in the UK, and I know she cant do that before divorcing me.
You, as a British citizen, have no right to have your parents join you. You may wish to do a Surinder Singh with your parents to move them permanently to the UK, but that would require your parents to commit to moving to the UK.
Am confused with the name Surinder Singh, is that a typo?

I think my parents would commit for a bit more than 5 years, just for my son

Thanks very much, am getting good information here!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:46 pm