ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Before entering the UK - Medical tests

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sagarjv

Before entering the UK - Medical tests

Post by sagarjv » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:20 am

Hello,

I am and Indian national, working in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
I will be arriving in the UK on 28-Jan-2005 on HSMP visa. Can anybody please tell me whether I need to under go any specific medical tests before entering the UK or these medical tests conducted in the UK airport upon arrival.

Thanks in advance,
Sagar

ChandraSP

Post by ChandraSP » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:01 pm

Don't think so. If you are carrying an X-ray, in some port of entries they leave. But in some places you will be tested at the airport which may not take more than 10 mins in general.

But I am sure, it is not compulsary.

regards
Chandra

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:12 pm

Sagarjv, when you arrive it is within the power of "passport control" to send you for a medical. That is more likely to happen at some airports compared to others. Heathrow has a permanent facility to conduct such medicals.

As ChandraSP has posted, if you have proof of a recent chest xray then certainly do have that readily available. But I don't agree with ChandraSP on one point. ..."it is not compulsory". It is compulsory in the sense that the immigration officer has power to refuse you entry if you don't comply.

My wife and step-child were sent for the quick medical examination when they first arrived in the UK back in 2001. It did not take long. There is no charge.

sagarjv

Thanks

Post by sagarjv » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:27 pm

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs.

Regards,
Sagar

ChandraSP

Post by ChandraSP » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:42 pm

John,
Thanks for the correction.
Yeh, it is the choice of immigration officer. If someone is visiting first time, at Heathrow they do the tests.

But at Manchester, I just walked out..:-). They didn't even asked for chest X-ray .

regards
Chandra

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:46 pm

Chandra, same here in Birmingham, it seems to be unusual for someone to be sent for a medical. Indeed there is no doctor stationed at the airport to do the medicals and as necessary one would need to be called in.

bani

Post by bani » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:15 pm

Same experience at London Gatwick for me. Very quick out of immigration (and customs too), I was not sent to medical and they didn't ask for an X-ray.