ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Form - Child Nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Learner178
Newly Registered

MN1 Form - Child Nationality

Post by Learner178 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:55 pm

So, thanks to the people in this forum, I have just recently acquired my ILR.
The next step is to register my son as British citizen. He was born in the UK in May 2016, just before I got my ILR (Sep 2016). So according to the gov website:

"You can register to become a British citizen if you fulfil all of the criteria:
- you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983
- you’re under 18 when you apply
- one of your parents has become a British citizen or settled in the UK since you were born"

he should be able to register using form MN1

There is one section in the form which I am not clear - that is "Present Nationality"

1. I have not registered him with my home country's embassy. does it mean that he is "stateless"? If that is the case, according to the guidance, I need to use form S3 instead?

2. If answer to the above is "Yes, he is stateless at the moment" - does it mean that I need to register him with my home country's embassy first before I can register him using form MN1?

Please could someone advise.

Thanks

Thanks for your help

LilyLalilu

Re: MN1 Form - Child Nationality

Post by LilyLalilu » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:01 pm

Probably not stateless, the child usually inherits the parents' citizenship from birth (it usually doesn't matter whether you register them with your Embassy, this is usually just done once you want to obtain their passport - however, depends on the country so of course so just check with yours)
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:33 pm

1) No
2) No
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Learner178
Newly Registered

Post by Learner178 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:39 pm

Superb, I just checked my country's nationality law and it said exactly that.

Thanks