ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKVisaAndNationality without English Language Certificate

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

risingsun
Newly Registered

UKVisaAndNationality without English Language Certificate

Post by risingsun » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:14 pm

Hi,

I have a subtle question with regards to proving my English Qual and my Master's Degree qualification
(I have passed SELT B1 english exam recently)

Please guide me on best way forward

Question is around what NARIC assessment I need out of the below two as there are confusing aspects in both options below in NARIC

1. VisaAndNationality Certificate from NARIC
-- This is mentioned in official guidance on Gov.uk to be used for ILR
-- Problem with this is that even if my Master's degree was taught in English in India, I do not have a separate certificate from my university that explains that the degree has been taught in english.

In which case, NARIC VisaAndNationality certificate will although certify me for the level of the degree, but will not certify me for English language as there is no certificate from my university that states 'degree has been taught in English'

2. Statement Of Comparability from NARIC:
NARIC has this certificate specifically for comparing my degree (and not for english)
but problem is that as per the guidance text on gov.uk portals, one has to go for NARIC "Visa And Nationality Certificate" - and as I explained in point 1 above, It can not certify me for english

So essence of my question is, to prove validity of my Master's Degree, (and my English) to score points for my degree and for english,

Should I go for getting NARIC Visa And Nationality certificate regardless of fact that it can not certify me for English ? - and will it be valid proof as combined with my SELT B1 Pass certificate ?

Or should I go for Statement of Comparability service from NARIC - despite it has not been mentioned in the official guidance in gov.uk for ILR ? And will that be a valid certificate to prove my Master's degree validity (despite it is not a 'VisaAndNationality' certificate)

Hoping someone to please guide me.

innovation2000

Re: UKVisaAndNationality without English Language Certificat

Post by innovation2000 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:18 pm

Hi Risingsun
If you have already passed B1 SELT then you don't need to prove anything related to your Master degree from NARIC.Has you passed the Life in UK test?
For settlement and naturalisation purposes all you need to pass is minimum B1 SELT and Life in UK test.Fore more information please see following links,

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/overview
https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/ ... in-uk-test

I think you have choose the right option to pass B1 SELT as to prove your degree was taught in English from NARIC is bit complicated.
Hope it will help
Best wishes for your settlement

risingsun
Newly Registered

Re: UKVisaAndNationality without English Language Certificat

Post by risingsun » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:25 pm

Thanks for quick reply innovation2000
innovation2000 wrote:If you have already passed B1 SELT then you don't need to prove anything related to your Master degree from NARIC.

yes, the ILR form gives me an option to declare that I have provided evidence to claim points on my degree earlier as below (and yes I have provided my degree certificates with points based calc assesments in my past renewal applications)

B2. Please indicate your method of verifying your qualification:
Qualification previously recognised on the points-based calculator and evidence submitted as
part of previous Tier 1 (General) application.

But my concern is - now that points based calculator no longer present - will it affect my application by simply ticking this box without providing a NARIC comparison (because I have not done a NARIC comparison in past and always depended on points based calculator)
Has you passed the Life in UK test?
Yes I have passed it already recently