ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vigneswar
Newly Registered

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by vigneswar » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:51 pm

pksk wrote:Application Date : 09-08-2016
VFS Center: Bradford
Date of acknowledgement : 11-08-2016
Original docs Received : 23-08-2016
Documents Printing Status : UNDER-PROCESS
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI :
Document received At London:
PASSPORT SUBMITTED IN PERSON
PASSPORT AND OCI DOCUMENT RECEIVED :

Its 42 days since date of acknowledgement but no update. Independence day, rakshabandhan, Janmashtami, Ganesh chaturthi are all playing part in the delay. When I emailed them to followup, I was asked to provide more details i.e. full name, full address, date of birth etc even though I had provided them with passport number and acknowledgement number. I am not comfortable giving all the personal details by email.

If anyone who submitted application at the beginning of August have their application status as processed please do update us.
Applications made end of July are being processed now..
So hopefully you should get an update in a week or two..
Patience :)

Cheers,
Vignesh

pksk
Newly Registered

Post by pksk » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:26 pm

Hello everyone, thought I will update on the status change (just checked online) to those who applied at the beginning of August.

Application Date : 09-08-2016
Documents Printing Status : PROCESSED 26-09-16
Document received At Birmingham:

ivan80
Newly Registered

Post by ivan80 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Hey Guys,

I submitted my wifes and daughters OCI application on the 22-07-2016
My daughters OCI came through on the 9-09-2016

But my wife's OCI still hasn't come through: I am already on the 10th week now and the status is still UNDER-PROCESS
FYI, my wife is applying on the benefit that i have a OCI, she is of Indian Origin but born in the UK.

Emailing VFS is absolute waste of time- all they do is flipping copy paste a script!

I have also emailed helpdesk-oci@gov.in today so lets see if i get a response.

I looked up the FAQs on the OCI website and it states it can take up to 120 days!
Well VFS very cleverly hide this info from their website!!!!!!!!! im fed up ... got my travel booked to India end of october 29th, me and my daughter have the OCI but my wife doesnt, but luckily i had applied for 1 years tourist visa at the begining of the year... so maybe she can travel on that for the time being and come back to pick up the OCI card!

Guess some things have still not changed in INDIA!

**Thank you for your email.

The processing times for the application are estimates only. These are based on information and experience of the Indian High Commission and Consulates.

The processing of your application is subject to the procedures and timescales of the Indian High Commission and Consulates, over which we have no control.

Our work is administrative in nature, and we have no impact on the outcome of the decision or the processing time. These are determined only by the High Commission of India or the Consulate General of India.

As per our tracking system the application for XXX was forwarded to the Indian High Commission / Consulate General of India on 22/07/2016 and is currently under process.

ivan80
Newly Registered

Post by ivan80 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:03 pm

FYI - for anyone who has applied as a SPOUSE for an OCI card.

In the case of application submitted as a spouse of foreign origin of a
citizen of India or spouse of foreign origin of an OCI Cardholder, the
person shall be registered as an OCI Cardholder only after prior
clearance of the Ministry of Home Affairs (Foreigners Division) in
terms of the proviso to clause (d) of sub-section (1) of section 7A of the
Citizenship Act, 1955 as incorporated by the Citizenship (Amendment)
Act, 2015 notified on 10th March, 2015. In all such cases, the
security agencies shall furnish their comments/ clearance on the
online system within 21 days of acknowledgement of the
application online and the final comments/ clearance of the
Ministry of Home Affairs (Foreigners Division) shall be uploaded
on the online system within 30 days of acknowledgement of the
application. However, in case any of the security agencies feel
that a detailed enquiry is necessary in a particular case and that
their comments/ clearance cannot be given within 21 days, they
should keep such application ‘On Hold’ on the online system.
After completion of the enquiry, the status shall be modified by
the security agency concerned.

celinexxx
Newly Registered

Post by celinexxx » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:14 am

ivan80 wrote:Hey Guys,

I submitted my wifes and daughters OCI application on the 22-07-2016
My daughters OCI came through on the 9-09-2016

But my wife's OCI still hasn't come through: I am already on the 10th week now and the status is still UNDER-PROCESS
FYI, my wife is applying on the benefit that i have a OCI, she is of Indian Origin but born in the UK.

Emailing VFS is absolute waste of time- all they do is flipping copy paste a script!

I have also emailed helpdesk-oci@gov.in today so lets see if i get a response.

I looked up the FAQs on the OCI website and it states it can take up to 120 days!
Well VFS very cleverly hide this info from their website!!!!!!!!! im fed up ... got my travel booked to India end of october 29th, me and my daughter have the OCI but my wife doesnt, but luckily i had applied for 1 years tourist visa at the begining of the year... so maybe she can travel on that for the time being and come back to pick up the OCI card!

Guess some things have still not changed in INDIA!

**Thank you for your email.

The processing times for the application are estimates only. These are based on information and experience of the Indian High Commission and Consulates.

The processing of your application is subject to the procedures and timescales of the Indian High Commission and Consulates, over which we have no control.

Our work is administrative in nature, and we have no impact on the outcome of the decision or the processing time. These are determined only by the High Commission of India or the Consulate General of India.

As per our tracking system the application for XXX was forwarded to the Indian High Commission / Consulate General of India on 22/07/2016 and is currently under process.

I have submitted mine base on my husband OCI since 4th May 2016 and still waiting for security clearance, good thing your wife has a tourist visa.....

celinexxx
Newly Registered

Post by celinexxx » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:24 am

CBANK wrote:Hi

My husband and mother in law both applied for OCI on 18 May 2016. My husband applied on basis of my father in laws OCI and my mother in law applied on the spouse basis (my father in law).

My husband OCI was received in London on the 14 June 2016. My mother in laws is showing as :

Date Of Acknowledgment 18-MAY-2016
Registration Status at Mission LONDON
Documents Printing Status UNDER-PROCESS

I don't understand how it can take so long based on spouse application.

I have contacted VFS who wrote back with the following:

Please be advised that we would be unable to comment on the time required to process your OCI application, as the processing time remains solely at the discretion of the High Commission of India and its Consulates.
Our tracking system indicates that your application was forwarded to the Indian High Commission / Consulate General of India on 17/05/2016 and is currently under process.

You can track the status of your application online from this link: https://passport.gov.in/oci/statusEnqury.

Is there any other way of chasing this - if they require further information why can't they just ask for it !

4 months is ridiculous !

Thanks
there is no way in chasing them.. I have tried HCI, called India MOIA department, visa centre, emailed help desk OCI.... just say application on hold waiting for security clearance. So I just came to accept just need to be patience and wait.... it will 5 months next month.....

jaysingh2k
Newly Registered

Post by jaysingh2k » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:35 am

ivan80 wrote:FYI - for anyone who has applied as a SPOUSE for an OCI card.

In the case of application submitted as a spouse of foreign origin of a
citizen of India or spouse of foreign origin of an OCI Cardholder, the
person shall be registered as an OCI Cardholder only after prior
clearance of the Ministry of Home Affairs (Foreigners Division) in
terms of the proviso to clause (d) of sub-section (1) of section 7A of the
Citizenship Act, 1955 as incorporated by the Citizenship (Amendment)
Act, 2015 notified on 10th March, 2015. In all such cases, the
security agencies shall furnish their comments/ clearance on the
online system within 21 days of acknowledgement of the
application online and the final comments/ clearance of the
Ministry of Home Affairs (Foreigners Division) shall be uploaded
on the online system within 30 days of acknowledgement of the
application. However, in case any of the security agencies feel
that a detailed enquiry is necessary in a particular case and that
their comments/ clearance cannot be given within 21 days, they
should keep such application ‘On Hold’ on the online system.
After completion of the enquiry, the status shall be modified by
the security agency concerned.
Has anyone else applied for OCI based on their spouse - i.e. husband foreign born and wife born in India and has OCI card?

Please advise on how long anyone has waited for it.

Thanks,

ivan80
Newly Registered

Post by ivan80 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:54 am

celinexxx wrote:
I have submitted mine base on my husband OCI since 4th May 2016 and still waiting for security clearance, good thing your wife has a tourist visa.....

Hi Celine
Not entirely sure what sort of a SECURITY CLEARANCE they are referring to as they never had a electronic DATAWAREHOUSE to lookup foreign nationals! or whatever sort of SECURITY CLEARANCE company they are using arent that quick enough! We all are moving to India and probably redirect her OCI to India when its ready- this is the only option left now.

Hey Celine, keep me posted on your status(damn!!!! 5 months for clearance!!! thats a lot of time) Anyone who is British born applying on the basis of their husband/wife can they please let us know how long it took to get their OCI?

ivan80
Newly Registered

Post by ivan80 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:57 am

jaysingh2k wrote:

Has anyone else applied for OCI based on their spouse - i.e. husband foreign born and wife born in India and has OCI card?

Hi Jaysingh,

I have been waiting for my wifes OCI since 25-07-2016 and some1 else here has been waiting since May 2016... what about you... how long have you waited?

Thanks,

lemony

Post by lemony » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:25 am

4th and final (hopefully) update
lemony wrote:Application Date : 06/06/2016
VFS Center: Manchester
Acknowledgment ( on Website):- 08/06/2016
Original Docs received : 14/06/2016
Documents Printing Status : PROCESSED on 19th July
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) : 23/07/2016
Document received At London: 26/07/2016
Passport Submitted in person : 21/09/2016
Passport and OCI document received : 27/09/2016

celinexxx
Newly Registered

Post by celinexxx » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:31 am

ivan80 wrote:
celinexxx wrote:

Hi Celine
Not entirely sure what sort of a SECURITY CLEARANCE they are referring to as they never had a electronic DATAWAREHOUSE to lookup foreign nationals! or whatever sort of SECURITY CLEARANCE company they are using arent that quick enough! We all are moving to India and probably redirect her OCI to India when its ready- this is the only option left now.

Hey Celine, keep me posted on your status(damn!!!! 5 months for clearance!!! thats a lot of time) Anyone who is British born applying on the basis of their husband/wife can they please let us know how long it took to get their OCI?
Ivan,
Tell me about it! I don't know what kind of clearance they doing... someone before I read long time ago on this forum waited for 6-7 months I think... apply base on Spouse.... (also waiting for security clearance) We also planning to move too and consider the route of apply for tourist visa and wait but been told just wait here before making any plans.... Oh well such as life... and I need to learn to be patience...

krishi572000

Post by krishi572000 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:35 am

Application Date : 09.08.16
VFS Centre : GoswellRoad
Acknowledgement Date : 11.08.16
Documents Received : 22.08.16

Its Taking Long time

ivan80
Newly Registered

Post by ivan80 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:14 pm

Ivan,
Tell me about it! I don't know what kind of clearance they doing... someone before I read long time ago on this forum waited for 6-7 months I think... apply base on Spouse.... (also waiting for security clearance) We also planning to move too and consider the route of apply for tourist visa and wait but been told just wait here before making any plans.... Oh well such as life... and I need to learn to be patience...[/quote]

Hey Celine,
Are you moving with your kids? I have a 8 year old daughter, a bit apprehensive about her schooling in India, found a private school which claims to provide the iGCSE curriculum, well lets see how it goes.
can i ask if VFS or any authority or someone you know told you to wait here before making any plans and on what grounds was the advise given?

i think they check the previous 4 generations as per their checklist to see if anyone has been Pakistani or Bangladeshi!! wonder how they manage that with the kind of system they have in place!!!!!!
*****Note : No person, who or either of whose parents or grandparents or
great grandparents is or had been a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or
such other country as the Central Government may, by notification in
the Official Gazette, specify, shall be eligible for registration as an
Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder.********

celinexxx
Newly Registered

Post by celinexxx » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:40 pm

ivan80 wrote:Ivan,
Tell me about it! I don't know what kind of clearance they doing... someone before I read long time ago on this forum waited for 6-7 months I think... apply base on Spouse.... (also waiting for security clearance) We also planning to move too and consider the route of apply for tourist visa and wait but been told just wait here before making any plans.... Oh well such as life... and I need to learn to be patience...
Hey Celine,
Are you moving with your kids? I have a 8 year old daughter, a bit apprehensive about her schooling in India, found a private school which claims to provide the iGCSE curriculum, well lets see how it goes.
can i ask if VFS or any authority or someone you know told you to wait here before making any plans and on what grounds was the advise given?

i think they check the previous 4 generations as per their checklist to see if anyone has been Pakistani or Bangladeshi!! wonder how they manage that with the kind of system they have in place!!!!!!
[/quote]

Ivan,
We don't have kids... so therefore we quite flexible in that sense. it's no one official told us, just friends living over in India, they did say it is a long process with this OCI thing, he said with tourist visa it will only have limited duration plus you cannot re-apply until 30-60 days has passed each time and expensive... so he said just wait until we get it... you are right, they probably try to dig into my ancestors... but like you said how they going to do that I have no idea... even in the UK it will be hard for them to look into that far of family tree let alone foreign nationals

ivan80
Newly Registered

Post by ivan80 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:56 pm

celinexxx wrote:
ivan80 wrote:Ivan,
Hey Celine,

Ivan,
We don't have kids... so therefore we quite flexible in that sense. it's no one official told us, just friends living over in India, they did say it is a long process with this OCI thing, he said with tourist visa it will only have limited duration plus you cannot re-apply until 30-60 days has passed each time and expensive... so he said just wait until we get it... you are right, they probably try to dig into my ancestors... but like you said how they going to do that I have no idea... even in the UK it will be hard for them to look into that far of family tree let alone foreign nationals[/quote]

I guess its not worth the hassle for me to take my wife on a Tourist visa. Well this has just changed all the timeline for me now!!!! well to slow it all down there are a few festivities coming up in October which is a national holiday in India!... i dont think that the OCI will come through before the end of this year!!!!

surak
Newly Registered

Post by surak » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:03 pm

kxkish wrote:Application Date : 05-08-2016
VFS Center: London Goswell Road
Date of acknowledgement : 08-08-2016
Original docs Received :
Documents Printing Status :

42 days have now passed. still no update.
Hi Kxkish,

Have you received any update? - I have applied on the same date and vfs location as you. My application is still under Process.

Thanks
sk

jaysingh2k
Newly Registered

Post by jaysingh2k » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:01 pm

ivan80 wrote:
jaysingh2k wrote:

Hi Jaysingh,

I have been waiting for my wifes OCI since 25-07-2016 and some1 else here has been waiting since May 2016... what about you... how long have you waited?

Thanks,
Hi Ivan,

I actually haven't applied for my own OCI yet. So far, I have at the moment applied for OCI for my wife who is from India and is now British citizen with myself born British citizen. I had both OCI applications all prepared and ready to take in the VFS office to apply. But they said I can't apply yet, and have to wait till my wife's OCI comes. It took 53 days for her status to change from Under Processed to Processed (on last Monday 19th Sept). I went into VFS office last Friday to hand in the passport for their so called "stamping". But as they no longer put a sticker in the passport, so why do they need the passport as it was all checked off at the VFS office on the day we applied. Now we have been told it takes 8-10 days for the passport to be sent back with the OCI card.

Then, I have been told I can apply for my own OCI card based on my wife who is a now a OCI card holder. But having read other people's own experiences of how long this type of application takes, it going to take months!

We are due to go in Feb next year (which is why I applied for OCI well before in time - good job I did). But I have a feeling my OCI won't get processed for a while, so I may need to get a 6 months visa whilst the OCI is getting processed.

Based on the volume of people applying for OCIs, why doesn't the Indian government have the processing done here in UK. If they can for visas which they have 100s of applications for, why not OCI?

Some people have had their OCIs processed within 4-5 weeks who applied last year/beginning of this year. But I think because of the Indian government has given the deadline of 31st Dec for any PIO cardholders can convert to OCI for free, every PIO cardholder is now rushing to get theirs converted before this date, so that means more workload now at the OCI processing office, meaning more time to wait!

ivan80
Newly Registered

Post by ivan80 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:12 am

UPDATE,

Hey Guys, just to let you know that my wifes OCI is still under process since 25-07-2016

I emailed info.london@hcilondon.in for an update and i have had a response from them stating that the OCI has been Granted but it will take upto 3 weeks for printing including the postal delivery, so I am looking at atleast another 5 weeks wait.

If any of you are still waiting over the 42 day period please email the address above with as much information as possible with GBR number passport number address phone number & place where you submitted it.

If its within the 42 day period dont bother, only email them if the time frame has elapsed.

Goodluck to all who are still waiting

celinexxx
Newly Registered

Post by celinexxx » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:20 pm

ivan80 wrote:UPDATE,

Hey Guys, just to let you know that my wifes OCI is still under process since 25-07-2016

I emailed info.london@hcilondon.in for an update and i have had a response from them stating that the OCI has been Granted but it will take upto 3 weeks for printing including the postal delivery, so I am looking at atleast another 5 weeks wait.

If any of you are still waiting over the 42 day period please email the address above with as much information as possible with GBR number passport number address phone number & place where you submitted it.

If its within the 42 day period dont bother, only email them if the time frame has elapsed.

Goodluck to all who are still waiting

iVAN!

Mine has come too!!! I think there is a secrect agent here watching all out posts! seeing us complaining all afternoon they have decided to do something!

tharunair
Newly Registered

Post by tharunair » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:29 pm

Mate.. Do you have further update

I have applied for my OCI on 12th August , acknoweldged on 16th Aug.

Yours is in similar line, so need to your help in knowing few things. sadly i have booked my tickets for 12th oct.

- Your status changed to process on 26th Aug.

- Did it change to MOIA on the same date.
- Did it change to dispatch on the same date.
- Did the status change to Recieved in london already, I have seen cases where the status changed to recieved in london same date

pksk wrote:Hello everyone, thought I will update on the status change (just checked online) to those who applied at the beginning of August.

Application Date : 09-08-2016
Documents Printing Status : PROCESSED 26-09-16
Document received At Birmingham:

ram2305
Newly Registered

Post by ram2305 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:02 am

Application Date : 09-09-2016
VFS Center: Birmingham
Date of acknowledgement : 13-09-2016
Original docs Received : 26-09-2016
Documents Printing Status : UNDER-PROCESS

vijaynagpal
Newly Registered

Post by vijaynagpal » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:20 pm

It seems the Babus have returned to office

Application date : 27-July-2016
VFS Center: Goswell Road, London
Date of acknowledgement : 29-July-2016
Original docs received : 05-Aug-2016
Documents printing atatus : 19-Sep-2016
Dispatched from MOIA (OCI ) New Delhi : 20-Sep-2016
Document received at London: 20-Sep-2016
Passport submitted in person: 21-Sep-2016
Passport and OCI document received : 27-Sep-2016

jaysingh2k
Newly Registered

Post by jaysingh2k » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:35 pm

FINAL UPDATE:

Application Date : 27-07-2016
VFS Center: London Goswell Road
Date of acknowledgement : 28-07-2016
Original docs Received : 30-07-2016
Documents Printing Status: : PROCESSED 19-09-2016
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI : 19-09-2016
Document received At London: 19-09-2016
Passport Submitted in person : 23-09-2016
Passport and OCI document received : 29-09-2016

Hey guys, thought I give a final update on the first OCI application which was for my wife.

Now, I have to go back again to apply for myself as a spouse based on my wife who is from India. Lets see how long they take this time. Will give info as soon as I have applied.

Best of luck to all who are still waiting!

SehraMann
Newly Registered

Post by SehraMann » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:24 pm

Hey, my father in laws OCI card has been under process since 24 JUNE 2016

I am slightly worried as I gave in his POI to get his OCI- he wants to go India for urgent business and I have no one to get intouch with- he keeps going to the mission office in Birmingham but still no answers

Has anyone had any luck with getting hold of anyone for this their OCI application status.

Would love your help

Baldeep

Ravi Dutta
Newly Registered

Post by Ravi Dutta » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:39 pm

Hi Everyone who are suffering from delay in OCI applications.
I submitted my OCI application under basis of my wife having OCI and of India born. I am India born and took UK citizenship in 1976 but lost the letter that High Commisson of India sends after I submitted my Indian Passport. Henceforth I could not apply for OCI on my own so I applied as spouse. My application was accepted on 06/06/16 and I still get status as under consideration. I am going to email the hci as advised in the forum. My on line Registration number is GBRL08EDBN16. Any advice what else I should do?
Thanks to all those who have shared their experiences.