ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Forgot to Register with Police the last 2 Years

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kmf2016
Newly Registered

Forgot to Register with Police the last 2 Years

Post by kmf2016 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am currently on a Tier 2 (General) Leave to remain visa issued in Aug-2014 after switching from a 4 year student visa. I registered with the police when I first entered on my student visa, as advised by the immigration officer at border control. When I switched to a Tier 2 work visa I hadn't realised that the letter I received from the Home Office requested me to make sure I registered with the Police Office and I wasn't notified I had to do so when I entered the UK for the first time on my Tier 2 work visa. I haven't switched addresses since attaining the work visa but I have switched addresses a number of times when I was a student and I wasn't aware that I had to notify the police and therefore do not have these previous addresses on my police registration.

I have had this visa for the last 2 years and was looking to extend it for another 3 years but I know that my application will be rejected if I don't register with the police and that I should go to the registration office as soon as possible (I plan on going on Friday as they are closed tomorrow).

I was hoping to get your advice on the likelihood of the police allowing me to register these changes now on my certificate and whether this would impact my application for an extension for my Tier 2 work visa.

Really appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

vinny

Re: Forgot to Register with Police the last 2 Years

Post by vinny » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:06 am

If they imposed a condition to register, then it's not too late to do so.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kmf2016
Newly Registered

Post by kmf2016 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:26 am

Thank you very much Vinny,

Do you think I should register my old addresses at university also?

If, fingers crossed, they do allow me to register. Do you think I should provide a cover letter with my application for renewal? And would I have to specify it in the criminal offences section?

Can't explain how grateful I am for your advice at this hectic time.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:44 am

The police can record all your changes to date.

Note that referring to similar posts just saves me from repeating information that have already been discussed. However, if you have further questions, then you should normally continue to ask them in your original topic.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kmf2016
Newly Registered

Post by kmf2016 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:19 am

Hi Vinny,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for posting in other threads I will stick to this one to avoid confusion on other forums.

I went to the police station today and they registered my new permit. They were very nice but stated that they had to give me a verbal warning and noted this on the system. I am going to apply for an extension of my Tier 2 work visa now and was wondering if I had to note this warning under the following section:

"Do you have any of the following, in the UK or different country:"
- a criminal conviction at any time
- a driving offence
- Arrested or charged
- a caution, reprimand or warning
- a court judgement
- a fine for breaching immigration law"

Really appreciate your advice

Amhunter
Newly Registered

Post by Amhunter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:39 pm

kmf2016 wrote:Hi Vinny,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for posting in other threads I will stick to this one to avoid confusion on other forums.

I went to the police station today and they registered my new permit. They were very nice but stated that they had to give me a verbal warning and noted this on the system. I am going to apply for an extension of my Tier 2 work visa now and was wondering if I had to note this warning under the following section:

"Do you have any of the following, in the UK or different country:"
- a criminal conviction at any time
- a driving offence
- Arrested or charged
- a caution, reprimand or warning
- a court judgement
- a fine for breaching immigration law"

Really appreciate your advice
I didn't mention it and got my visa granted, I think its a different type of warning they are asking about.
Check my another topic:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/uk-tie ... l#p1394181

kmf2016
Newly Registered

Post by kmf2016 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:04 am

Thanks Both,

I thought i'd update this thread with the good news that I got my visa accepted. I did pay £500 for a lawyer to draft up a cover letter to make sure I was being safe. In hindsight, that was a completely wrong decision as the case officer didn't seem to even consider the cover letter or the fact that my police registration was late.

I agree with Amhunter and if I could turn back time I would have not hired the lawyer or given them a cover letter.

Thanks for all the help