ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I need advice

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mansursuljovic
Newly Registered

I need advice

Post by mansursuljovic » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:41 pm

Hello Everybody,

I'm Mansur. I came to UK in Oct 2009 as a researcher for a small company in Leeds. I got my ILR approved in August 2014. I left the company imediately because I felt I was treated bad there (modern day slavery). I left for my home country in Austria from September 2014 and I returned in February 2015. Since then I have tried hard to get a job, but couldn't find one. I was depressed for all this time I couldn't find a job. I was on benefits then (JSA plus Housing) from MAY 2015 to JAN 2016. But I quit that as well because my friend took me IN. I'm living with him since JAN 2016. I just got a job as a KEBAB chef just down the road. I know everyone must be like.. from qualified researcher to kebab chef. I'm happy to find a job atleast. Also I have credit card debts plus loans totalling 40K, for which the credit card companies keep calling. But they all know the situation I'm in. Of course I am not running away, I will pay them off one day.

When is the best time to apply for naturalization?
Clearly I'm eligible as I haven't left this country since FEB 2015. Also I got my ILR in AUG 2014. The big question is, will they approve given the bad situation that I'm in!

What's the best advice you can give?

Thanks
Mansur

noajthan

Re: I need advice

Post by noajthan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:46 pm

Noone is judging career path, career choice.

You can dig into vital question of good character here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _D_v02.pdf
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

mansursuljovic
Newly Registered

Post by mansursuljovic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:17 am

thank you noajthan.

I don't have any ccj's so far, as I have been honest to all the lendors about my situation. But I guess I will wait until I start paying off, soon after I start working. My only problem is, given the size of my debt, it will take me years and years to pay it off. So I was thinking of applying for citizenship now. Would that be a good idea?

I just need someone to tell me what to do. should I wait for say 2-3 years or should I risk it now?

Thanks
Mansur

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:08 am

Why do you have ILR? Isn't Austria in the EU?

Do you have a repayment plan in place for your debts which you are sticking to? If not, HO will wonder how it is you can afford the £1236 application for citizenship but you are making no effort to clear a £40000 debt.

mansursuljovic
Newly Registered

Post by mansursuljovic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:27 am

I applied for ILR then as I needed British citizenship. But I never envisaged my work situation would turn out bad and in the process I ran into debt (partly due to bad decisions). I regret what I did, but I have always kept the banks/creditors in the loop. I have only got 2500 GBP in the bank since long and I haven't touched it for the past year. Since the BREXIT I am more keen than ever to get the UK Citizenship.

Thanks
Mansur

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:40 am

Are you sure you didn't apply for PR under EEA Regulations? Can you remember how much you paid for the application?

Keeping your creditors 'in the loop' is unlikely to be sufficient to convince the Case Worker that you are making efforts to repay the considerable debt. They would at the very least expect to see an agreed payment plan.

As you've already been advised, allocating the BC application fee over the priority to repaying your debtors won't look good.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

mansursuljovic
Newly Registered

Post by mansursuljovic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:03 am

Casa,

Thank you for the advice. I will focus now on clearing the debt first by getting job. Maybe in 2 years down the line, I will apply for Naturalization.

No it was ILR, because at that time, I did not have Austrian Passport. (originally from Kazakh). Thanks!

Thank You

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:48 pm

mansursuljovic wrote:Since the BREXIT I am more keen than ever to get the UK Citizenship.
Do you still hold the non EU passport and citizenship under which ILR was granted? If yes then you don't need to worry about Brexit. (Except its economic fallout that we all have to worry about)

However a quick Google reveals that Kazakhstan does not allow dual nationality so I am unsure whether your ILR is valid since it's against a nationality/passport you no longer have - any experts know how this works?

When did you become Austrian? If you are now ONLY an EEA national you will have go get a document certifying permanent residence to apply for citizenship and you may not have enough time left with the UK in the EU do attain PR now.

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:43 pm

Noetic wrote: However a quick Google reveals that Kazakhstan does not allow dual nationality so I am unsure whether your ILR is valid since it's against a nationality/passport you no longer have - any experts know how this works?
Will the UK recognise that Kazakhstan does not recognise multiple nationality?

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:16 pm

ohara wrote:
Noetic wrote: However a quick Google reveals that Kazakhstan does not allow dual nationality so I am unsure whether your ILR is valid since it's against a nationality/passport you no longer have - any experts know how this works?
Will the UK recognise that Kazakhstan does not recognise multiple nationality?
If they do then it won't exactly be a glowing reference for OP's good character that they broke their birth country's laws regarding citizenship...

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:01 pm

Genuinely curious though. When you become British your ILR in a foreign passport becomes invalid especially if it's in a passport that ceases to be valid when you become British. (Since you're a British citizen now)

So if you have ILR in an Indian passport and become Austrian or German, and thus cease to be Indian, do you still have ILR or do you have to start PR from scratch?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:12 pm

Noetic wrote:Genuinely curious though. When you become British your ILR in a foreign passport becomes invalid especially if it's in a passport that ceases to be valid when you become British. (Since you're a British citizen now)

So if you have ILR in an Indian passport and become Austrian or German, and thus cease to be Indian, do you still have ILR or do you have to start PR from scratch?
To avoid confusion, I assume this is a general (hypothetical) question as Kazakhstan isn't in India :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:48 pm

Casa wrote: To avoid confusion, I assume this is a general (hypothetical) question as Kazakhstan isn't in India :|
Yes it is hypothetical - India not allowing dual citizenship is well known even to the Home Office case workers and I know there aren't any exceptions (which there may be for Kazakhstan).

Depending on OP's actual situation (if they lost Kazakh nationality) the question may well be relevant though.

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:48 am

http://www.kazembassy.org.uk/en/pages/page/33

This is what I was referring to. So if OP has lost their original nationality what happens to the ILR status? Does it get retained/can it be transferred to their Austrian passport?