ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing someone from overseas...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MalikShabaz123
Newly Registered

Bringing someone from overseas...

Post by MalikShabaz123 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:43 am

Hi All,

I am close to starting a business in web design in the UK. I was born and bred here, hence a full UK National. For my business i will require a graphics designer. If i was to employ a good graphics designer from the UK it will be very costly, especially for a startup. I was considering employing someone from Pakistan, which im guessing will be a lot cheaper. My question is, how can i go about doing this? What do i need to be aware of? Will it actually work out cheaper? Is going about it this way a better approach, is it more work and headache that simply employing someone locally?

I would appreciate any help and advice that anyone here can offer. Thanks in advance... :)

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: Bringing someone from overseas...

Post by olisun » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:00 am

MalikShabaz123 wrote:Hi All,

I am close to starting a business in web design in the UK. I was born and bred here, hence a full UK National. For my business i will require a graphics designer. If i was to employ a good graphics designer from the UK it will be very costly, especially for a startup. I was considering employing someone from Pakistan, which im guessing will be a lot cheaper. My question is, how can i go about doing this? What do i need to be aware of? Will it actually work out cheaper? Is going about it this way a better approach, is it more work and headache that simply employing someone locally?

I would appreciate any help and advice that anyone here can offer. Thanks in advance... :)
Ask yourself, if you were in a job in the UK would you work for lesser salary and if your employer replaced you with somebody cheaper from outside the EU how would you react?

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:55 am

Look at the criteria to obtain a WP for your employee http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/workin ... rkpermits/.

The Business and Commercial category requires that the post is advertised in the national papers and that there are no suitable EU applicants for the post.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:23 pm

And there is a requirement to pay the person the same salary that you would to a UK resident.

So sorry, you can't bring a slave, sorry, employee from Pakistan to work for you.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:42 pm

Could he not work 'offshore' ie over t'internet?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:28 pm

Malik,

Really you should be ashamed of yourself, whilst you may born and breed British, I suspect you are of Pakistani origins.

Now in the fine tradition of exploitation, you want to under pay some poor gulliable Pakistani to support your business that can not sustain itself with out exploitation.

Think again and look deeply at your morals.

May God be with you!

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:08 pm

MalikShabaz123 wrote:Hi All,

There are many graduates from within the UK/EU with a graphics degree or work experience looking for a job....I don't think it'll be possible to bring someone from Pakistan or elsewhere, when there is a large pool of talent from within the EU/EEA.

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:00 pm

MalikShabaz123 wrote:I would appreciate any help and advice that anyone here can offer.
Vote Tory or Lib Dem?

No seriously, all joking aside, the Labour government right now are cracking down on non-EU immigrant employees in the UK that are paid low wages, as well as the UK employers who employ them. For some reason, they've got this strange idea that low UK wages = low employee skills :?: Not sure exactly where this myth originated.

In a few months time, they will be rolling out the new Points Based System, which will make it even more difficult to employ non-EU immigrants than it currently is now.

IMHO UK small businesses, including UK start-ups such as yours, will be the most negatively impacted by the new rules, since it will be harder for you to compete with big business wages. Too early to say, but under the new rules, it may also become more difficult for small companies vs big companies to be immigrant sponsers.
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture