ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Being asked for additional documents

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mindypquills
Newly Registered

Being asked for additional documents

Post by mindypquills » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:33 am

I am an american citizen. I came to Uk in2005 on fiance visa. I got indefinite leave in 2009, I think, and sent my application for citizenship this June. I was sent a letter for biometrics in July. Now I received a letter asking for my original masters degree certificate, in order to meet the language requirements. I have to wait until monday to ring, and now im freaking out. I thought I was exempt, being from the USA. I also already sent in my Naric certificate, as I thought it couldnt hurt to show my equivalent education here. Why would they need my masters degree? Im getting concerned about the length of time this is taking, as I am without my usa pasdport in the meantime, am getting nervous I wont get home for Christmas! Anyone have any ideas? I am also hesitant to pay to send my original diploma, as its going to cost another £30.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Being asked for additional documents

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:59 am

If you are American, you are exempt. Not sure why you sent NARIC with your application without the degree. As you sent it, HO likely need to see the degree it relates to.

You should have applied through NCS at the council to have kept hold of your original documents and for them to check your form etc before sending it off to HO.

Yes, applications can take long, some members on the forum have been waiting since mid 2014 and early 2015.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mindypquills
Newly Registered

Post by mindypquills » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks for your reply. I don't know why I sent it, I suppose because I had it! I will just send the diploma and call them Monday. I know about four people who have applied in the last year, all had their paperwork back and ceremony done in less than 6 months, but I else is all different!

ohara
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by ohara » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:31 am

It is a bit odd that you have sent a NARIC certificate when as an American citizen, you are exempt from the English language requirement.

If you need a passport urgently, you can apply for a second one at the US embassy:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... -passport/

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:03 pm

mindypquills wrote:I thought I was exempt, being from the USA. I also already sent in my Naric certificate, as I thought it couldnt hurt to show my equivalent education here.
Sending the NARIC has cause some inconvenience.

On the application form, there are 3 options of meeting the English:

1. Being from a majority of English speaking country
2. UK NARIC
3. English B1 from SELT

which option did you tick. By sending your NARIC, you have created confusion for the caseworker dealing with your application. They may possibly have missed that you are a American Citizen and seen a NARIC certificate but no accompanying degree and naturally requested your original degree. IMO, if you hadn't sent the NARIC and ticked the correct option for English above, you probably would not be in this situation.

I would write back explaining you are from a majoriry English speaking country thus satisfy the English criteria, and the NARIC certificate was sent in error.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided