ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sponsoring common-law partner

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

uajule
Newly Registered

Post by uajule » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:08 am

Hi,

I have recently become a permanent resident in Canada. So far I still live in Belgium and plan on moving to Canada next summer. I would like to sponsor my boyfriend with whom we have been living together since september (i believe he qualifies as a common-law partner if i can prove we've been living together for 1 year). I was wondering how does the whole procedure work time-wise. Can he move to Canada with me and stay there during the sponsoring procedure? Can he work? How long does the procedure take? (he's Belgian) Or does he have to stay in Belgium before getting all the documents ready? And again, how long does it all take? What should i do beforehand?

Thanks,
Julia

Willy
Newly Registered

Post by Willy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:04 am

Hi,

To answer some of your questions:
1. As long as you can prove that you two are living together continuously for one year, you are defined as common-law partner.
2. The processing time for the application varies depending on which office will be handling your application. You can submit you application in Europe or in Canada (only if both of you live in Canada). The average processing time is between 3 to 11 months.
3. He can move to Canada before the application is finalized, as long as he has valid status in Canada. In his case, it will likely be a visitor visa.
4. He will not be allowed to work, unless he obtains a work permit.

I hope it helps.

Willy (Ka Shun) Cheng,
Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant
ChengCosgrove Immigration Services
willy@chengcosgrove.com
http://www.chengcosgrove.com

uajule
Newly Registered

Post by uajule » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:24 am

I understand, my objective is having him as quickly as i can in Canada and him being able to work...

what is the best solution
- getting married instead of going through common-law partnership?
- doing the sponsorship in Canada instead of Paris (he stays in canada vs. he stays in belgium)?

what is the quickest way and at which point will he be able to get a work permit?

Thanks,
Julia

Willy
Newly Registered

Post by Willy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:20 pm

Julia, getting married does not make things quicker in the eyes of the government of Canada, and in fact could hinder your partner's application if they suspect that your marriage is merely for immigration purposes.

As for your other questions, please contact me directly and I will be happy to provide a free assessment of your partner's situation.