ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applying for an EEA Family Permit

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lexy
Newly Registered

applying for an EEA Family Permit

Post by lexy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:51 pm

HELLO :)

i live and work in the UK on a working holiday visa. i am from south africa. my fiance is living and working in the uk with an EU passport.

we would like to get married

as a nonEU national, i know i need to get an eea family permit to stay in the uk. can i apply for this in the uk, or will we need to get married and then i go back and apply from sa?

i still have 18 months left on my WHV so there's no rush?

also we haven't lived together yet, we are looking for a place together now. will we have to prove our relationship on this permit (it is a real relationship)

any help on this would be very appreciated as i simply don't know what to do, the internet is confusing me!

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: applying for an EEA Family Permit

Post by sakura » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:21 pm

lexy wrote:HELLO :)

i live and work in the UK on a working holiday visa. i am from south africa. my fiance is living and working in the uk with an EU passport.

we would like to get married

as a nonEU national, i know i need to get an eea family permit to stay in the uk. can i apply for this in the uk, or will we need to get married and then i go back and apply from sa?

i still have 18 months left on my WHV so there's no rush?

also we haven't lived together yet, we are looking for a place together now. will we have to prove our relationship on this permit (it is a real relationship)

any help on this would be very appreciated as i simply don't know what to do, the internet is confusing me!
What nationality is your partner and how long has he lived in the UK?

lexy
Newly Registered

Post by lexy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:39 pm

portuguese and he has lived in the uk for two years or more. i'm not exactly sure

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:51 pm

If you choose to marry in the UK, once you are married you can apply for the EEA Residence card, which is valid for 5 years. Use form EEA2 and you can download this from the BIA website. You won't have to go back to SA.

You don't have to rush to get married, but if you want to marry in the UK, you'll first have to apply for a Certificate of Approval, so just don't leave it til the last minute!

:)

lexy
Newly Registered

Post by lexy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:35 pm

i'm thinking of getting married in south africa when we go there in holiday next month and then returning to the uk on my WHV and applying for te residence card when we get back? if we get married in SA we don't need a certificate of approval i don't think, as he also has south african citizenship.

would that make a difference?

and am i right in thinking that my WHV does not count towards getting ILR after 5 years?